Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
Re: MTG
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2014, 12:26:09 pm »

Well, that's that FNM is for, meet new people that are into it and have somebody to play with. :)
I didn't know M:tG was so organized. I gotta check out these FNMs sometime.

Really the best would be a prerelease (which is this week-end), those are by far the most newbie-friendly.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2014, 08:25:15 pm »

Well, that's that FNM is for, meet new people that are into it and have somebody to play with. :)
I didn't know M:tG was so organized. I gotta check out these FNMs sometime.

Really the best would be a prerelease (which is this week-end), those are by far the most newbie-friendly.

Yeah, FNMs (every friday) and Prereleases (Every few months, this weekend included) are most newbie friendly.

@Teproc - LR set review? Limited Resources?
I've read LSV's set review, I always read his or Conley's after the spoilers end.

@Lekkit - as I also play Netrunner, I am one of the people who know what Deckmasters is by heart, tho I wasn't playing when it was actually "a thing", I just know of it.

The Plague Rat deck was pretty close, but it wasn't fast enough.

Heh. Just to show how things turn around (also note power creep). That that really plagued (oh, the pun!) Standard this past year is basically a better Plague Rat -  Pack Rat. That plus Mutavault was the #1 most annoying thing in the past year.

Speaking of which, we had our last Ravnica-Theros Standard tournament today. and I am SO freaking glad it ended, it sucked. Rav-Ini was so much better, it's not even fun to compare.

As for Tarkir/Fetches hype, Sunday is going to be probably what's the biggest prerelease yet in Serbia.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2014, 10:38:38 pm »

Limited Resources yes. I didn't take the time to read LSV's this time, but I also do that generally.

Format is pretty interesting, kind of slow as you would expect from a multicolored format. i hadn't played in six months so I misbuilt terribly, ended up going 2/2.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2014, 05:49:43 am »

Hey, now that you were there actually, they've kept promo distribution secret. How are they distributed?

Also, any tips in general?

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2014, 06:47:06 am »

The promo I got was the 4/5 trample that drains 3 when ETB, I'll admit I didn't pay that much attention to what the other were. I'm guessing they have soemthing like 3 different for each guild and you get one of them ?

I would say don't hesitate to play 18 lands. The format has a lot of mana sinks.

Also, flying is good. It always is of course, but most decks have a lot of trouble with it in this format I think.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2014, 01:24:24 am »
+1

Heh. Just to show how things turn around (also note power creep). That that really plagued (oh, the pun!) Standard this past year is basically a better Plague Rat -  Pack Rat. That plus Mutavault was the #1 most annoying thing in the past year.

Ha! Wow, yeah, Plague Rat is pitiful now in comparison. Those Pack Rats are cheaper and can actually work within tournament rules.

Then you play one and have to add another to your deck. No, wait, I might be confused.
A man has no signature

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2014, 03:24:55 am »

When you play one you gain an ability to play 3 mana and discard any card to make another packrat. Basically, every card you have and draw after he hits play becomes a 3 mana packrat (you can still play them normally too).

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2014, 07:53:15 pm »
+4

So I did end up going to the prerelease after all. I familiarized myself with the rules beforehand, but otherwise had no experience with the game.

I picked the Temur Clan. Being unfamiliar with the game, it took me a long time to parse the cards and I felt rushed to finish my draft. As a result, I didn't draft for much synergy and got crushed by people combo-ing off +1/+1 tokens. I couldn't win a single game.

It was surprisingly easy to understand the main game rules. There were a few particularities with the card effects that I wasn't prepared for due to them being able to activate anytime but whatever.

So I found Magic to be a fun and interesting game, but I'm not prepared the invest any more time and money on it right now. I've noticed that I prefer being alone or with close friends when pursuing geeky activities.

I'm glad I finally know what M:tG is all about.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:54:34 pm by markusin »

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2014, 11:43:01 am »
+1

So Glooble (my IRL twin) and I have been wondering for a long time...

We're pretty sure our rinkworks is the same rinkworks who used to run rinkworks.com.

And a quick Google search reveals that THAT rinkworks is named Samuel Stoddard (it's also all over rinkworks.com)

And there's a Sam Stoddard who works for WOTC and writes their weekly "Latest Developments" column. According to the MtG Salvation wiki, he joined WOTC as an intern in 2012 -- around the same time Rinkworks stopped posting here as much.

So does anybody know if this is a coincidence, or whether we have a bona fide MtG developer among the ranks of our forum community (granted Rinkworks hasn't posted in a year)?

"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2014, 12:22:44 pm »

We're pretty sure our rinkworks is the same rinkworks who used to run rinkworks.com.

And a quick Google search reveals that THAT rinkworks is named Samuel Stoddard (it's also all over rinkworks.com)

And there's a Sam Stoddard who works for WOTC and writes their weekly "Latest Developments" column. According to the MtG Salvation wiki, he joined WOTC as an intern in 2012 -- around the same time Rinkworks stopped posting here as much.

So does anybody know if this is a coincidence, or whether we have a bona fide MtG developer among the ranks of our forum community (granted Rinkworks hasn't posted in a year)?

It was indeed the same rinkworks as the website, I know it was mentioned.  Whether or not the two Sam Stoddards are the same guy is a different question, but probably a reasonable chance.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2014, 12:56:28 pm »

The only thing we know is that rinkworks is no longer ...-puts sunglasses on-... gathering here.

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!

CSI: Dominion Strategy
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2014, 02:24:01 am »
+2

It looks like this has been blowing up recently, but if people haven't seen it,
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2014, 03:11:50 am »
+1

I haven't seen that one and most likely wouldn't if it weren't for that post. I did enjoy it, though.

Also, I think those borders are so much nicer than the newer ones.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2014, 08:01:27 am »
+3

I never got these opening videos, still don't.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2014, 09:51:13 am »

"Er mer gerd!"
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2014, 09:57:00 am »

I haven't watched, but between the title, the gloves, and the fact that a basic land is in front of the camera for any amount of time, I suspect that this particular video is a parody.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2014, 09:59:46 am »
+1

I'll spoil it.

The last rare is this card.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2014, 10:11:26 am »

I haven't watched, but between the title, the gloves, and the fact that a basic land is in front of the camera for any amount of time, I suspect that this particular video is a parody.
It's not.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2014, 10:15:38 am »

You don't realize how obsessive people can be about that stuff. With reason too, even a Beta basic land is worth a decent amount of money I think.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2014, 10:31:17 am »

What I want to know is how one gets their hands on an unopened Alpha starter pack to begin with.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2014, 04:20:02 pm »
+1

What I want to know is how one gets their hands on an unopened Alpha starter pack to begin with.
I don't believe it's possible. If you find yourself in possession of such a thing, odds are it was opened and then resealed, with any exciting rares replaced. Shrink wrap: the great lie.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2014, 05:23:27 pm »
+4

Counterpoint: I think if a live turtle can be missing for 30 years and turn out to have been in a box in a storage room the whole time, a box of Magic cards can perform the same feat.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2014, 08:17:17 am »

Counterpoint: I think if a live turtle can be missing for 30 years and turn out to have been in a box in a storage room the whole time, a box of Magic cards can perform the same feat.

Certainly true.

While my example is not as extreme as this one, it's still the same concept. Back when I was in college, an out-of-town friend came to visit and told me he got a hold of some Legends cards he wanted to unload. He found them in some dinky store (similar to Dollar General, I suppose, but it's not) going for retail. At the time, Legends cards had become valuable as soon as they ran out on account WotC didn't print enough of them. I doubted him, but he showed me two full boxes of boosters. He bought them at the retail price of $2.50 per pack. We made a deal where I bought them off him for $5 per pack, and then I started selling them individually for $10 a pack before I realized I could sell all three Uncommons for $5 apiece and each rare for a minimum of $8 (as much as $25 for one of the dragons).

Things get lost in storage all the time, especially when you're talking about the early days of Magic when it was just this fad that sprung up. Depending on how quickly your locale took to the hobby, packs were either flying off the shelves or gathering dust.

That being said, I've seen other reasons why this video may be fake. The improbability of still being able to find a sealed Alpha probably shouldn't be one of them.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2014, 09:06:30 am »

The magic cards are significantly more believable than the turtle story, which is almost certainly bullshit--specifically, a different turtle.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2014, 08:00:20 am »

You guys watching WMC?

My country team(Serbia) is top16 now (5th seed), playing for top8!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:24:55 am by Grujah »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 1.962 seconds with 20 queries.