Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Marauder vs. Cultist  (Read 1269 times)

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
Marauder vs. Cultist
« on: October 20, 2014, 08:33:47 am »

Hi,

I just found a game log from season 1 of the dominion league.
It's a Colony board, he opens Silver/Marauder where I go for Silver/Silver to try to go heavily for Cultists.
I'm loosing the ruins split 4-6 that way, and I'm still puzzled how that could happen. Is Marauder stronger than Cultist here? Is it better to pick up a Marauder before going for Cultists? I would have expexcted the answer to be "no", because I would have thought you'd just draw your Marauders dead.
After the Ruins war, I add Provinces, but they never collide with my Tournaments until it's nearly the end of the game. It may be a bit less likely with the junk around, but I still believe it's the right call, even if it's just to block his Tournaments and he has a lot.
He really seems to have benefitted from the extra spoils as he can buy Colonies much faster than me (or maybe that's because of my extra Ruins... probably just both).

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140610/log.513880ece4b006f8dc8ce4c2.1402427331478.txt

Code: [Select]
Squire, Oracle, Marauder, Pirate Ship, Quarry, Rats, Tournament, Band of Misfits, Cultist, Hoard
Colonies / Estates
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:41:10 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Marauder vs. Cultist
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:42:52 am »
+1

You got unlucky and played suboptimally. I think you can ignore Marauder, but you should probably have opened Quarry/Silver to maximize the odds of getting two Cultists on turns 3 and 4 (I'm not sure if it's actually better than Quarry/Oracle though, and Quarry/Squire can be good too because Squire is good later), and the first Gold you bought should have been another Cultist.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
Re: Marauder vs. Cultist
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 10:45:21 am »

You got unlucky
Yeah, I just recognized my first Cultist missed the shuffle.
I only got one during my second shuffle, which is probably okay, though, but not lucky.

and played suboptimally
I'd hope to do better now, this log is half a year old, but thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:46:31 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.466 seconds with 21 queries.