Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is this even good?  (Read 1157 times)

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
Is this even good?
« on: October 17, 2014, 02:47:54 pm »
+1

Quid Pro Quo: Action. $3

Reveal the top three cards of your deck. Trash a card that your opponent chooses and place the remaining cards back in either order. You may then gain a card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card.

The original version of this instead allowed you to choose the trashed card and gave the opponent the choice of a card costing exactly $3 more to replace it with. I rejected this when I realized that it anti-synergized with pretty much every other card, given that an increase in variety gave your opponent more bad options to damage your deck with. Under the current model, this card can act either as a limited expand or as a terminal lookout.

Currently, you may expand a trashed curse or copper into a copy of Quid Pro Quo. Is this balanced, or should the cost be adjusted to $4?

Note that in the late game, your opponent can empty the province pile by trashing a province of yours, and that this card holds little value in terms of cleaning up curses, as the opponent can likely target your copper instead.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
Re: Is this even good?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 02:54:45 pm »

Needs to specify "your left-hand opponent" or "your right-hand opponent" or something of that nature, as "your opponent" is undefined in a multiplayer game.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 03:09:00 pm »

the original version you mentioned was bad. but the new one is interesting. don't know how it plays out. my guess is that it's weak, but I could be wrong.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 04:17:46 pm »

I like it. If nothing else, it's interesting. It will probably mostly turn Coppers into $3 cards early, which is great if there's a $3 village or something, not so great but still decent if it's just Silver. Then it might end up turning good cards from the top of your deck into maybe better ones in the discard, which might be a negative, depending on your cycling ability.

Seems like it should be good when there's good 3s (or Silver is good) and not otherwise, which seems like a fine balance to me.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 20 queries.