Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 35  All

Author Topic: RMM19: LOST Mafia - Game ended  (Read 90522 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: RMM19: LOST Mafia - Day 2
« Reply #650 on: January 12, 2015, 04:43:14 pm »

This plan reminds of Eevee's power in that Pokemon game, where he got info about people based on how they vote. That worked out really well, especially because he got scum to follow his orders before explaining exactly how it worked. So, I'm in favor of this.

ash, does your plan involve no-lynching again?

I appreciate the idea of not explaining, but there more risks here, which I haven't gotten to yet.

No-lynching is not necessary.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 12, 2015, 04:43:55 pm »

Now, before you ask me what that means -- I don't really know...specifically.  The most I could get as an explanation was that roles will become stronger in a logical way.  Like, I don't know if we have VTs (I doubt it), but if we do, I don't know how that gets better (named?  BP?).

I also don't know the degree to which powers get stronger.  I'm assuming that, due to the difficulty in pulling this off and the extreme 1-shot nature of it, it's gotta be worth it.  Otherwise I never do anything.

Negative utility is not out of the realm of possibility for these types of games.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: RMM19: LOST Mafia - Night 1
« Reply #652 on: January 12, 2015, 04:47:03 pm »

What happens to the plan if scum decides to NK ash? Does it still work? If we all push the button nobody can protect ash...
excellent question. Also,

Why didn't you want to do this day 1?

Wasn't it dangerous to soft claim day 1? What was the point if you didn't go through with it anyway? What if you had been NK'd?

Is the usage you gain proportional to the number of townies pushing the button, or is it an all or nothing thing?

I like that you are asking questions.

@xxpittip -- this works even if I die, I assume based on order resolution.

@silver

1.  I could not do this on Day 1 as it is a night power.  I assume you meant N1.  I was unable to perform this action until N2 at the earliest due to a prerequisite.

2.  It was dangerous to soft claim, but I think I soft claimed in a way that didn't reveal anything, plus kept me around for a day.  If I had been NKed, all this would have been moot, and we wouldn't be discussing it.  That's the same as any PR.

3.  Good thinking.  It's not proportional, exactly, but it's dependent on numbers.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 12, 2015, 04:48:15 pm »

Now, before you ask me what that means -- I don't really know...specifically.  The most I could get as an explanation was that roles will become stronger in a logical way.  Like, I don't know if we have VTs (I doubt it), but if we do, I don't know how that gets better (named?  BP?).

I also don't know the degree to which powers get stronger.  I'm assuming that, due to the difficulty in pulling this off and the extreme 1-shot nature of it, it's gotta be worth it.  Otherwise I never do anything.

Negative utility is not out of the realm of possibility for these types of games.

True.  But the wording in my PM is clear that the changes to powers will be positive.

There is definitely a negative to this power, though.  Getting to that later.  Wanted people to know why we are (should) do this.  It's possible enough people think it isn't worth it anyway.  You all know I'm willing to eat my power and just sit around if we agree it's not worth it.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 12, 2015, 04:58:25 pm »

I'm still down for trying it... but ya if you can get roleblocked. is that a question you can ask faust? Because that is a super dangerous thing to have happen.

But scum also gets upgrades. That worries me a bunch.

even though it sounds super cool and I really am curious what my power upgraded would be I'm starting to think the negatives might outweigh the positives.

I guess the one thing we have going for us though is that you might not get roleblocked as if scum has a roleblocker they might want to upgrade their powers instead of stopping you.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 12, 2015, 05:12:23 pm »

Further, I appreciate all the support.  But you need to hear the rest of it (especially the side effects).

So, when I trigger the failsafe, there are a few things that can happen, depending on who pushed the button that night.

(I'm paraphrasing here, per rules)

If all the players of a faction press the button, all the players of that faction will have their roles upgraded.

There's more -- but, well, I think it's better to discuss this piecemeal.  I have my own thoughts, by the way.

Does you yourself count as pressing the button if you use the fail-safe?
If not, what about your faction?

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 12, 2015, 05:20:31 pm »

If I understand it correctly, this means that any/all scum-like factions can also get their roles upgraded if they all push the button. That seems a little dangerous. What if they get double nightkills or something?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 12, 2015, 05:21:45 pm »

If I understand it correctly, this means that any/all scum-like factions can also get their roles upgraded if they all push the button. That seems a little dangerous. What if they get double nightkills or something?

I think Ash having a role that's like "If you can convince everyone to go along with this, scum wins heyyo" is not all that likely.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 12, 2015, 05:37:29 pm »

Further, I appreciate all the support.  But you need to hear the rest of it (especially the side effects).

So, when I trigger the failsafe, there are a few things that can happen, depending on who pushed the button that night.

If all the players of a faction press the button, all the players of that faction will have their roles upgraded.

There's more -- but, well, I think it's better to discuss this piecemeal.  I have my own thoughts, by the way.

Town (my faction) will get the upgrade as long as all town players press the button on the night I trigger the failsafe.  There's an "if" clause included with the fail-safe action, I think because of the odd interaction of the fail-safe with the button rules.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 12, 2015, 05:39:28 pm »

You understand correctly that any faction that has all members press the button will get the upgrade side effect.

I don't know about double NKs.  That seems crazy.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: January 12, 2015, 05:42:46 pm »

Huh, I guessed wrong. I thought it was a magic rooster sort of thing. One thing to note is that if all scum players press it, it's like having a successful doctor.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 12, 2015, 05:50:12 pm »

You understand correctly that any faction that has all members press the button will get the upgrade side effect.

I don't know about double NKs.  That seems crazy.
Yeah, that was a crazy example. It's just I'm wondering what the trade off is if we have 2+ super powered scum factions running around.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 12, 2015, 05:50:42 pm »

Huh, I guessed wrong. I thought it was a magic rooster sort of thing. One thing to note is that if all scum players press it, it's like having a successful doctor.

Oh yeah, good point.  They have to give up tonight's kill in order to have possible "upgraded" powers.

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 12, 2015, 06:23:54 pm »

Town (my faction) will get the upgrade as long as all town players press the button on the night I trigger the failsafe.  There's an "if" clause included with the fail-safe action, I think because of the odd interaction of the fail-safe with the button rules.
Good.
I realized that if ash is speaking the truth about powering up factions, he has to be town.
If he had this power as scum, he could and would power his own faction without telling the rest.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 12, 2015, 06:28:16 pm »

I realized that if ash is speaking the truth about powering up factions, he has to be town.
If he had this power as scum, he could and would power his own faction without telling the rest.

good point.  I agree this makes Ash IC if the power works as he says it should.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 12, 2015, 06:40:41 pm »

Well, ash. I'm in to do it.

I'm also in to lynch Beyond Awesome.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 12, 2015, 06:49:46 pm »

Do we want to hear the risks?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 12, 2015, 07:19:56 pm »

Yes...
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 12, 2015, 07:33:24 pm »

That sounds awesome- scum has to chose between missing out on the power upgrade or missing a NK, and I wouldn't be surprised if town comes out ahead even if all factions get upgraded, since we have more players receiving upgrades (and scum's already down one).
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 12, 2015, 07:55:37 pm »

Okay. We can't do this tonight though. I'm Charlie, and yes, I'm town. However, as a night action, I must always protect Claire which means I am never allowed to press the button.

However, I'm allowed to perform an action tonight that kills me and does something. If town wants to go along with this, I'm fine, but you guys would have to hold off a night before going through with Ash's plan since I'm unable to push the button.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 12, 2015, 08:02:57 pm »

What are the risks aside from the fact that your power could potentially be role blocked?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 12, 2015, 08:16:21 pm »

On a side note, for those who have seen the show, I thought it was very flavorful how I must always protect Claire. I can tell that Faust has really put a lot of effort into this game.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 12, 2015, 08:18:41 pm »

Well there is the potential that you killing yourself will make it so we still can all use the button? man these roles though seem fun! I can't wait till after the game to read about all of them.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 12, 2015, 08:19:38 pm »

Well there is the potential that you killing yourself will make it so we still can all use the button? man these roles though seem fun! I can't wait till after the game to read about all of them.

If I kill myself, you guys can use the button D3, but I'm pretty sure it won't work tonight though.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 12, 2015, 08:25:24 pm »

Actually, looking back at the order of effects, it's possible that you guys might be able to do this tonight. I will have to ask faust to clarify how my action would work if I choose to take it.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 35  All

Page created in 2.385 seconds with 19 queries.