Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Flea Market- duration trasher  (Read 2865 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
Flea Market- duration trasher
« on: October 03, 2014, 05:21:55 pm »
+1

Flea Market
Type: Action- Duration
Cost: $4
Now, and at the start of your next turn: You may trash a card from your hand; if it is a treasure card, +$1.

Comments: I tried to envision a simple duration trasher. Compared to Remake as an early game trasher, on average it hits more estates but doesn’t give any benefit for that, gives a benefit for hitting copper, but misses more shuffles. It seems a bit stronger than Remake in the early game, but can’t be used for late game tricks like Remake, and could backfire.

It may be worse at handling curses/ruins in an engine than Remake because it only trashes one card a turn, but may be better at handling junking in slogs. It is also great against copper junkers. Unlike Remake, it is not typically weakened by Shelters. The downside is that the card isn't that exciting, but it is simple. I didn't give the name a Seaside theme. Thoughts?

Original version:
Flea Market
Type: Action- Duration
Cost: $4
Now, and at the start of your next turn: Trash a card from your hand; if it is a treasure card, +$1.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:51:33 pm by JW »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Flea Market- duration trasher
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 05:28:18 pm »

It's scary that you may have to trash a good card on your next turn.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 05:33:34 pm »
+1

I had a (non-Duration) card called Flea Market once. It gave +1 Buy and let you trash a card from your discard pile when you bought a card. It wasn't the best, although I did like that a card with the word "Market" gave +1 Buy. What if we combine the two concepts?

Flea Market
Types: Action - Duration
Cost $4
+1 Buy. +$1. Until the end of your next turn, when you buy a card, you may trash a card from your hand.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 06:09:07 pm »

I had a (non-Duration) card called Flea Market once. It gave +1 Buy and let you trash a card from your discard pile when you bought a card. It wasn't the best, although I did like that a card with the word "Market" gave +1 Buy. What if we combine the two concepts?

Flea Market
Cost $4
+1 Buy. +$1. Until the end of your next turn, when you buy a card, you may trash a card from your hand.

Does the wording work for a Duration?  No next turn bonus, but it does specify exactly how long it lasts.  Hm.

On its own, it offers up to 3 trashes.  But they are each contingent on buying a card, which is weaker in the early game.  When you play Steward to trash, it often means skipping a buy that turn.  How are you going to buy 2 useful things if you are also trashing 2 cards from your hand?  Interesting dynamic.

Combos with Watchtower so that you can buy and trash incoming junk to trash junk from your hand.  Works well with draw and other +Buy.  Neat.

The original version in the OP seems alright as well.  Definitely can be scary to play though, later on.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 06:12:55 pm »

You could just take the original and add "you may"...

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 06:14:42 pm »
+1

Flea Market
Cost $4

That's a great idea. It's more complicated but also more interesting because it combos with Watchtower and cheap cards you want a lot of, especially with other +buy (e.g., Fool's Gold).

My only concern would be the strength of the card. It reliably trashes 2 cards without having to buy any junk cards (or 1 later in the game once your deck is thin), gives +buy for your engine, and the +$1 is particularly helpful on the initial shuffles. Is missing re-shuffles by being a duration enough to compensate?

Note that the version in the OP is quite a bit less scary than Lookout, though Lookout is the dud card of Seaside among many players according to Donald for this reason (and can be frustrating even for experts at deck tracking).

The original might be too strong with "You may". Thoughts on that?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:17:24 pm by JW »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 06:19:03 pm »

I can't imagine that minor of a difference putting it over the line. It may be too strong already; I have no idea. But the difference of "every once in a whole, trash a silver when you didn't really want to very much" is so minuscule. How often do you have to pass a card you don't want to off your own Masquerade? I feel like this is comparable.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 06:19:20 pm »

Being a little scary isn't a bad thing.  I think Lookout is a good design.

Flea Market
Cost $4

That's a great idea. It's a bit more complicated but also more interesting because it combos with Watchtower and cheap cards you want a lot of (e.g., Fool's Gold).

My only concern would be the strength of the card. It reliably trashes 2 cards without having to buy any junk cards (or 1 later in the game once your deck is thin), gives +buy for your engine, and the +$1 is particularly helpful on the initial shuffles. Is missing re-shuffles by being a duration enough to compensate?

Note that the version in the OP is quite a bit less scary than Lookout, though Lookout is the dud card of Seaside among many players according to Donald for this reason (and can be frustrating even for experts at deck tracking).

LF's version only gives +$1, +1 Buy on the turn it's played.  It's probably only trashing 1 card each turn, which weakens those individual turns.  That also makes it weaker.  With Remake or Steward you don't buy anything on the turn you trash and you buy something good on the turn after (or before, whichever).  But with this card, you probably don't buy a good card on either turn.

Edit: and missing the reshuffle is definitely a concern, especially in the early game, which is when you'd want to be trashing the most.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:22:06 pm by eHalcyon »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 06:20:45 pm »

On its own, it offers up to 3 trashes.  But they are each contingent on buying a card, which is weaker in the early game.  When you play Steward to trash, it often means skipping a buy that turn.  How are you going to buy 2 useful things if you are also trashing 2 cards from your hand?  Interesting dynamic.

One other thing it can do is easily replace Estates and Curses with Coppers using extra buys. It's not the best way to trash, but it gives a short-term deck improvement and you can use Flea Market to trash those Coppers later on.

The original might be too strong with "You may". Thoughts on that?

I think you're worrying a bit too much about the strength of both versions. I think there's a tendency to make fan cards too weak. I'd test one or both of these at $4 and then if they're too strong you can weaken them. Probably my version you'd take away either the +1 Buy or the +$1. For yours you'd have to raise the cost, and I don't think either version looks terribly enticing at $5.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 06:22:00 pm »

I can't imagine that minor of a difference putting it over the line. It may be too strong already; I have no idea. But the difference of "every once in a whole, trash a silver when you didn't really want to very much" is so minuscule. How often do you have to pass a card you don't want to off your own Masquerade? I feel like this is comparable.

Trashing a Silver from your hand is arguably worse. Also, if you don't have something in hand to trash to your Flea Market, you can't play it, potentially robbing yourself of trashing on the next turn. That would suck.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 08:33:53 pm »

Flea Market
Cost $4

Does the wording work for a Duration?  No next turn bonus, but it does specify exactly how long it lasts.  Hm.

This is a good question. I'd say it probably does, but maybe it would be better if the effect was "while in play" anyway. So…

Flea Market
Cost $4
Now and at the start of your next turn, +1 Buy.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, you may trash a card from your hand.

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 09:24:19 pm »
+1

(old) Flea Market
Cost $4

(new) Flea Market
Cost $4

While this is in play, when you buy a card, you may trash a card from your hand.

The new version seems quite a bit weaker than the old version because you are more likely to get hands on the initial turn that can't buy a $3 card. 2 Coppers, 2 Estates, Flea Market, for example. That $1 is particularly important; only trashing 1 estate at the expense of buying a copper is a weak turn. This version could probably cost $3 because opening 2 of this version of Flea Market isn’t nearly as attractive.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 09:29:02 pm »
+1

(old) Flea Market
Cost $4

(new) Flea Market
Cost $4

The new version seems quite a bit weaker than the old version because you are more likely to get hands on the initial turn that can't buy a $3 card. 2 Coppers, 2 Estates, Flea Market, for example. That $1 is particularly important; only trashing 1 estate at the expense of buying a copper is a weak turn. This version could probably cost $3 because opening 2 of this version of Flea Market isn’t nearly as attractive.

Well, if it's too weak, you could always add back the +$1 (just on this turn). There's a good chance that it's either too weak at any cost without the +$1 or too strong for $4 with it. Either way, one of the two versions (with or without +$1) should work in the $2-$4 price range.

Even if you do get a hand of (new)Flea Market/Copper/Copper/Estate/Estate, you can (at minimum) turn both Estates into Coppers. Which isn't super-great, but will significantly improve your buying power next shuffle.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.51 seconds with 22 queries.