Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Oasis/Tunnel Board?  (Read 3129 times)

TomConerly

• Swindler
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Oasis/Tunnel Board?
« on: October 08, 2014, 07:30:05 pm »

Code: [Select]
Oasis, Oracle, Trade Route, Tunnel, Woodcutter, Familiar, Ironmonger, Taxman, Mine, Adventurer
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20141008/log.505e9c9c0cf2ef979299a7c0.1412807543680.txt

I'm curious whether you guys think oasis/tunnel is good here. It seems like the best option to me, but my opponent was confident that it was bad (and that people here would agree with him).

You have to go for familiar here. We both open oasis/potion, but I'm not sure that it's better than oracle/potion at getting to familiars. After familiars it seems like your options are BM or oasis/tunnel.

BM doesn't seem to have much support. Given that you are junked oasis will probably be a cantrip + $ (at least for your first few oases). Ironmonger seems pretty bad (sometimes it lets you discard junk, sometimes it gives you $). Mine isn't great because you aren't going to cycle very quickly. Adventurer is bad since you won't have time to trash your copper. I think the best version of BM is a trade route, 2-3 oases, and silver/gold.

The other option is oases/tunnel. Since your junked the first few oases you get will be pretty good. After that they probably aren't better than a cantrip that can discard tunnels. Given that BM is going to be slow I think you'll have time to get a bunch oases and 3-4 tunnels and start getting a good amount of gold.

Also I'm not sure how many trade routes I should get. Given that there aren't other terminals you want it seems like getting 2 trade routes is good, but I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 07:34:36 pm by TomConerly »

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
Re: Oasis/Tunnel Board?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 07:35:38 pm »
+1

I think you most definitely want Oracle. BM+drawer is much better than BM, even with the additional cantrips Familiar gives. I would definitely open Oracle+Potion, is good at getting to 3P, and also may help denying the opponent if you are lucky. Also, the increased cycling is important in a Curse battle. Afterwards, the filtered draw will help reach $6 and later $8. The Attack is mild, but in high-variety decks is not to be disregarded, as flipping their Familiars first and their few good Treasures later is important.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 08:36:16 pm »

I agree with Oracle/Potion and would buy a Silver over both Oasis and Ironmonger every time (and skip Trade Route as well).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 02:42:23 am »
+4

I agree with Oracle/Potion and would buy a Silver over both Oasis and Ironmonger every time (and skip Trade Route as well).
Hey poser, get off SCSN's account!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 03:19:41 am »

you want familiar. you don't want trade route, adventurer, taxman, mine, woodcutter. you want to open oracle/potion. that's the easy stuff.

After curses are out, I think I want tunnels here. That also means I want oasis to trigger it, and Ironmonger over silver. I would not buy any oracle after the first.

So yea, I think you have the right idea about tunnel.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 06:29:18 am »

like everyone else I am opening oracle/potion. Tunnel doesn't seem bad at all, especially b/c the 2VP are huge if the game ends on a three pile. also note that oracles can discard tunnels too!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 08:50:19 am »

You've got four tunnel enablers here: oasis, adventurer, ironmonger, and oracle, but they don't necessarily make tunnels good. The problem is that you'll have a deck with curses and the curses will make everything slow and disconnected. Put tunnels into that deck and it has no income. However by the time you've cleaned up the curses the game may be too far progressed to start on tunnels. The copper is still an obstacle to the tunnel deck (essentially adventurer).

On the other hand, a lot of other cards are weak too. Oracle may be a good opening but it is a weak terminal otherwise. It would be easy to put together combinations of cards that add up to less than the sum of their parts.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 09:00:39 am »

If anyone has both the cards and the time, I would play a couple of fast games of this board. PM me if you want.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 09:03:33 am »
+1

You've got four tunnel enablers here: oasis, adventurer, ironmonger, and oracle, but they don't necessarily make tunnels good. The problem is that you'll have a deck with curses and the curses will make everything slow and disconnected. Put tunnels into that deck and it has no income. However by the time you've cleaned up the curses the game may be too far progressed to start on tunnels. The copper is still an obstacle to the tunnel deck (essentially adventurer).

On the other hand, a lot of other cards are weak too. Oracle may be a good opening but it is a weak terminal otherwise. It would be easy to put together combinations of cards that add up to less than the sum of their parts.
The argument you give against Tunnels (decks with junk) is also an argument for Tunnels.

Since the game won't end on a 14 turn rush for Provinces, you have the time to make the Tunnels worth your while, even if you're often drawing them dead. You basically have to go Familiar here which hampers your own economy and your opponent's, so it will be some time before either player is comfortably and consistently into $6+ territory for actual Gold purchases.

I think a Tunnel detour is definitely useful and with that, Oasis and Ironmonger become stronger as well. And as a side effect, Trade Route starts giving you a Coin more early than usual and becomes interesting as well.

So I won't be so quick to dismiss Tunnels, the points are certainly useful as well. I'm not really sure whether a Tunnel based deck will clobber a BM+Oracle deck, but I'm quite sure that due to the length of the game it's certainly a viable option.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.