Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: too much of a good thing (golems and scrying pools)  (Read 1328 times)

Breezy D

• Salvager
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
too much of a good thing (golems and scrying pools)
« on: October 03, 2014, 06:38:11 am »
+1

Code: [Select]
Moat, Scrying Pool, Chancellor, Urchin, Golem, Junk Dealer, Laboratory, Margrave, Bank, Expand
http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20141003/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1412330925348.txt

This was a strange game that definitely taught me something. My first thought was I'll get some scrying pools and urchins then trash down a bit and transition to golems for some +action. That way I can play some terminals for coin (chancellor.)

What I hadn't accounted for was drawing all my actions with scrying pools and having nothing for golem to play. Also a lack of +buy w/o Margrave in deck made it hard to build faster.

I started buying Banks to toss in stop cards to not draw my whole deck, and then I was able to start double colony turns. but by the time I'd figured that out my opponent had enough coin of his own and labs to be able to do the same.

In retrospect I'd
  • skip chancellor
  • buy golem on my first 4P and try to get another every couple of scrying pools
  • maybe toss in more labs
  • buy an early Margrave and then more
  • get banks once I'd trash many non actions

Does that make sense?

Is there a better way to approach this kingdom?

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
Re: too much of a good thing (golems and scrying pools)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 12:41:13 pm »
+1

Scrying Pool's draw power makes it more attractive than Golem overall, and the relative cost of the two makes the case for it still clearer. Limiting your Scrying Pools in order to assist your golems can't be the right move here.

With that in mind, selecting the right terminal is your next major priority. With Golem's lack of reliability, you really want only one terminal here. I'd consider either Expand for the gains, or Margrave. Margrave's + cards are almost irrelevant in the presence of scrying pool, but the +buy is nothing to sneeze at.

I very much doubt the value of Mercenary here. Mercenary is generally an excellent trasher, but everything it offers here is done better by another card on the board, and its status as a terminal makes the case even clearer. Margrave draws and discards, while the trashing is easily handled by the exceptional cantrip Junk Dealer. Although I find Junk Dealer weaker than normal in the presence of discard attacks, Scrying Pool's draw potential should more than make up for it.

The one factor limiting Scrying Pool here is the necessity of Treasure for your economy, which honestly can't be avoided. With Junk Dealer, however, it should be quite simple to remove the coppers in order to ensure that whatever dead cards do exist in your deck will contribute more. Other posters here are much more experienced than I, but I can state with great confidence that Scrying Pool matters much more on this board than Golem does.

And no Chancellor. It's fine if you aren't worried about number of terminals, but on this board you certainly should care about terminals. Junk Dealer, Scrying Pool, and Maybe Lab should make up the bulk of your actions here.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 01:27:01 pm »
+1

Once your deck had scrying pools and a mercenary you knew that it would draw and trash down. You needed to ensure enough income to buy a gold/bank/expand for the next stage of deck development. The golem-chancellor thing took far too long to put together.

Breezy D

• Salvager
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 06:20:16 am »

I definitely agree golem-chancellor was a mess.

I hadn't thought of Junk Dealer for trashing. What I liked about Merc was that you can choose whether to trash if Golem plays it. But Merc is still a terminal.

However I still think there is a place for scrying pool and golem in this deck. If it's set up from the start I believe that when the deck kicks off it is possible to play a number of margraves for buys and draws and banks for payload to pick up a fair amount of VP.

An expand might also be a great way to get rid of junk dealer when it becomes a liability.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.603 seconds with 21 queries.