Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How low can I go? (Do I really want to know)  (Read 1791 times)

Breezy D

• Salvager
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
How low can I go? (Do I really want to know)
« on: October 03, 2014, 06:10:48 am »

About 2 weeks ago I was at iso lvl 33-35. Since then I've creeped (plummeted?) down to lvl 28.

I'd like to think it's due to playing some tough competition who have whipped me into shape. But a lot of my recent losing streak has been against lvl 15-25 players.

I used to wonder whether I could  beat that 35 barrier. Now I can't even touch it!

Arrghhhhhhh!

Anyone else going through this?

Does it get better?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: How low can I go? (Do I really want to know)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 06:22:26 am »
+4

When you play lots of games, sometimes you will get lots of bad luck in a row. Also, sometimes you'll just have those days when you're not in the best shape but decide that it's a good idea to play Dominion anyway, and then you'll commit to strategy X before noticing that Colonies are also in the kingdom or something as stupid. These kinds of things might result in having a lower rating for a while, but it'll go back up sooner or later (probably takes longer to get it back to L33-35 though).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 06:22:59 am »

oh yea, recently I've dropped from lvl 44 to lvl 36. that's an even bigger streak, and it was in the spawn of less than a week.

now i have a new account and it doesn't even matter. but it happens.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 09:34:57 am »
+1

it was in the spawn of less than a week.
hehe

yeah I've found that dominion results are really streaky. And like awaclus said, play enough and your rating will settle around where it should be.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 10:43:21 am »

Oh wow, that sounds like my luck. Yesterday I was at 3.5k, then I got complacent and wanted to get higher and I dropped down to 3.2k before I won anything. I managed to get almost back to 3.5k (I think I reached 3494) and decided to quit while I was ahead.

The thing is, I think my rating should probably be lower because I have a default kingdom that I always play with - base set only, no attacks, two different trashers, and like four different ways of building an engine. Not that I'm an authority on this or anything, but if you want a placebo-ish way of boosting your casual rating, put together a deck that you can play really well and use that for a while. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about pro.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 11:00:28 am »
+2

Elanchana, the rest of the posters here are referring to Isotropish levels, not MF's built-in ratings.  If you don't know about Isotropish, see gokosalvager.com for more info, as well as a browser extension that improves the interface a lot imho.  A fair number of people around here prefer that rating system, which seems to me to be slightly less swingy than the built-in ones.  It also takes only Pro games into account, so you can't pump up your rating with a kingdom you're used to playing.  (Not that I'm suggesting you play that kingdom to inflate your rating, if you like it then by all means play it.)

To Breezy:
1) What everyone else has said about streaks and luck.
2) I've noticed a fair number of players lately who are definitely stronger than their Iso level suggests.  I suspect either strong players who weren't playing pro before, or just people learning the game and upping the overall competition.  Either way I think we will eventually see that some of those "low level" players giving us tough games were really working their way to their own proper rating, which is higher than they have now. 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 11:51:35 am »

My rating may or may not be over 2k. I don't play much.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.609 seconds with 21 queries.