Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: bunch of terminals, which one to go for?  (Read 1057 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
bunch of terminals, which one to go for?
« on: September 26, 2014, 01:24:17 pm »

Board:
 Steward, Trade Route, Horse Traders, Ghost Ship, Horn of Plenty, Margrave, Merchant Ship, Mountebank, Soothsayer, Witch

I had a good game just now. We ended up playing a mirror match in which I was luckier, but I doubt that our strategies were correct (we both opened horse traders/steward which can't be right with all the power 5s and no villages in sight). 

Anyway, the real question (I think) was which 5 dollar curser to buy -- Mountebank, Soothsayer, and Witch were available. I didn't know how to resolve this -- in a straight-up big money game, as this one more or less has to be, I prefer Witch to Mountebank. Soothsayer is still new (to me) and it seemed better than witch since I would be inevitably thinning out coppers with Steward. As I said, we both went in this direction. Any thoughts?

http://logs.prod.dominion.makingfun.com//20140926/log.5160dac4e4b05d3fb42496d8.1411751987979.txt

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
Re: bunch of terminals, which one to go for?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 03:16:37 pm »

Board:
 Steward, Trade Route, Horse Traders, Ghost Ship, Horn of Plenty, Margrave, Merchant Ship, Mountebank, Soothsayer, Witch

I had a good game just now. We ended up playing a mirror match in which I was luckier, but I doubt that our strategies were correct (we both opened horse traders/steward which can't be right with all the power 5s and no villages in sight). 

Anyway, the real question (I think) was which 5 dollar curser to buy -- Mountebank, Soothsayer, and Witch were available. I didn't know how to resolve this -- in a straight-up big money game, as this one more or less has to be, I prefer Witch to Mountebank. Soothsayer is still new (to me) and it seemed better than witch since I would be inevitably thinning out coppers with Steward. As I said, we both went in this direction. Any thoughts?

http://logs.prod.dominion.makingfun.com//20140926/log.5160dac4e4b05d3fb42496d8.1411751987979.txt

I would open Horse Traders/Silver and then get two Mountebanks. If my opponent wants to try and thin with Steward, that's fine with me: it'll delay his getting to $5, and take up a terminal slot I'd rather be spending on Mountebanks; one Steward can't keep up with multiple Mountebanks anyway. Once my deck is a bit bloated and the cursing is dying down it might be right to get a Soothsayer? The game might go long enough that the gained Golds are more useful than just buying a Gold instead, but I'm not sure.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
Re: bunch of terminals, which one to go for?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 04:09:26 pm »

I would open double Steward to thin out all the garbage. Then, probably get Soothsayer and alternate Cursing/Getting Gold and trashing junk. Horse Traders Reaction is not so hot if you cannot play the HT itself due to collision with a more important terminal, because then it just replaces itself (if you are lucky). Moreover, it wastes room in your hand for Curses against a MB.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.556 seconds with 21 queries.