Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Prince of all the Alternate VP  (Read 1198 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
Prince of all the Alternate VP
« on: September 04, 2014, 04:29:59 am »
+1

Code: [Select]
Hamlet, Gardens, Militia, Noble Brigand, Silk Road, Junk Dealer, Margrave, Stables, Fairgrounds, Prince
Edit: Prince didn't display in the Kingdom image, so I used Scout to represent Prince above initially (until Yed pointed out the solution).

Province/Estates game.  Log: http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20140904/log.516ce511e4b082c74d7a526a.1409817343520.txt (the prettifier is not working for Prince yet)

We both open Militia-Silver. I go for Junk Dealer into one Margrave, Hamlets, Stables, and a bit more treasure, followed by Prince (of Hamlets). My opponent doesn’t buy Junk Dealer and prefers Stables early, picks up a second Militia and gets to an earlier Prince (of Militias), and later on a Prince (of Hamlet). He also gets a Noble Brigand fairly early, which he doesn’t play much but hits my Gold. After lining up his second Prince, he starts buying a lot of coppers; this keeps his Stables active, and Fairgrounds get too low before .

It seems like I could have supported a second Margrave after Princing hamlet and probably should have bought the second Margrave earlier than I did (and probably bought Noble Brigand earlier as well). I see a number of potential areas for improvement in my play.

Was Junk Dealer a mistake (I strongly felt that it would still be worth it for the estate trashing, even though trashing coppers was less important)? Should I have bought a second Prince? I bought Duchy and Estate before a 3-pile was imminent; should I have tried to hold off buying the lower cost VP (Duchy, Estate, Silk Road, Gardens) until the end so that my engine would be less likely to stall? Should I have bought more coppers towards the end?

Thoughts appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:12:54 am by JW »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Prince of all the Alternate VP
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 04:55:10 am »
+2

What a missed opportunity for Prince of Scouts!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 06:34:31 am »
+2

Code: [Select]
Hamlet, Gardens, Militia, Noble Brigand, Silk Road, Junk Dealer, Margrave, Stables, Fairgrounds, Prince
Prince doesn’t display in the images yet, so I used Scout to represent Prince above.
You can edit it as I did (use quote to check it).

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 08:37:16 am »

Since you have a Prince of Hamlet, you could support having more Margrave for draw and rely a little less on Stables, which in turn allows you to not worry about trashing down a little more with Junk Dealer. I think Junk Dealer is always worth it in engines just to at least get rid of Estates, and you have +buy available to buy back Coppers if you end up having to trash them.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.6 seconds with 21 queries.