Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 120  All

Author Topic: M50: A Song Of Ice And Fire Mafia - Town Wins!  (Read 335913 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
Re: M50: A Song Of Ice And Fire Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2014, 01:39:14 pm »

I'm just disagreeing with the general idea that more information is good for town. In the articular case of claiming QTs, I'm in favor.

I'm also in favor of claiming QT powers for the same reason, but I'm curious to see if anyone can come up with a good reason not to do it.

Same discussion as in MU, really, though the numbers are slightly different.  If there are two teams of two, or even one team of three, they won't necessarily have all the house information.  There are four houses, right?  I think, in the end, it wasn't really a concern there.  Here the houses may matter more because there are associated abilities, but I can't think of a great reason to either claim or not claim.

I *guess* we could consider claiming house abilities and see if it makes sense to coordinate house movements for Town.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2014, 01:47:24 pm »

Slightly disagree. In the case there is one scum faction with three people, they can't know everything that is said in the quicktopics, but they can be reasonably certain of who is where, barring houseless people, which I guess won't stay houseless for long anyway. And one of the things we are discussing is whether or not we should claim who is in which House. Which, frankly, I think is knowledge scum already has. Unless there are two scum factions, which right now I think unlikely. Feel free to convince me otherwise though.

Talking about houseless people, wherever they go, they will (probably) make that house have more members than any other, which means that they will get hand of the king, which means unblockable, unredirectable (huh?) House power. Something we have to think about.

I also think the only House movement we have to coordinate is such that Houses won't perish. A house that perishes is one less power moving around. Of course, depending on the power, it may be better to let it go than risking scum using it.

Does that make sense?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2014, 01:53:45 pm »

Well, you don't know that the hypothetical three-scum team is evenly distributed among the houses.. two could be in the same house, or some could currently have no house, etc. 

Do you think it's a good idea to claim house powers?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2014, 02:00:50 pm »

As I said, I am working on a worst-case scenario. Whether scum is evenly distributed or not, if we share that information everybody will know it.
If we decide not to claim house composition/powers, then maybe scum is not evenly distributed and furthermore one of them is houseless, in which case it's a net gain for town, or maybe scum is evenly distributed (or becomes so from D2 onwards), and then it's pure negative utility for town. I don't think we need to rely on the "luck of the draw", especially given that D1 usually doesn't have much info flying around.

So yeah, I am in favour of claiming houses and powers, unless someone makes a good case against it.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2014, 02:05:56 pm »

I have no such good case.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2014, 02:36:54 pm »

Hmm. I'm considering claiming my house alignment as I think it might be slightly useful at this point. Eh. Might as well.

I'm. houseless. And I think it'd be more useful to be part of a house.
Obviously, you guys can't know that I'm realm-aligned. But from my perspective, I'd appreciate knowledge of the houses because I could bolster the power of whichever one is more useful or something. Honestly, not being part of a house, I don't even know what such powers would be.

So my vote goes in favor of claiming house powers I guess.

The debate over the possibility of multiple scumteams and how said team(s) are distributed doesn't seem that useful at this point IMO.
I think it's better to consider no qt safe, and it makes sense to me that scum would perhaps be randomly distributed amongst the houses, with perhaps one houseless as pacofv said.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2014, 02:56:22 pm »

Woo. Sorry I'm late to the party. Uh I'm in a house. People like me unlike ichi here.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2014, 03:03:15 pm »

People like me unlike ichi here.

:o wuh?

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2014, 03:04:51 pm »

Just basically saying that I'm liked enough to start in a house where as no one wanted ichi. :)
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2014, 03:07:07 pm »

Anyways so sitting on the iron throne means your the biggest house and that person got voted right?

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2014, 03:07:36 pm »

Just basically saying that I'm liked enough to start in a house where as no one wanted ichi. :)
I knew it  :'(
But too bad, I'm gonna force myself on some house anyway.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2014, 03:14:11 pm »

Anyways so sitting on the iron throne means your the biggest house and that person got voted right?

Not sure. Sitting on the iron throne means you are the king, while the setup says:

Setup information

The House that has the most members will make the king. When any house reaches a majority, they are informed of that, and before this phase ends, they must vote for one of their own to become Hand of the King. A simple majority of the weighted votes is enough here. The Hand of the King performs the night action of the House until another House gets more members. All night actions of the Hand of the King can't be blocked or Redirected in any way. If the Hand of the King is not elected in time, the House will not be able to perform any night action.

Which I think means that House Lannister "made" the king, but that doesn't mean that Joffrey is the Hand of the King (probably somebody else is?), or that they currently have the most members; some other house has to get more members for House Lannister to lose the Iron Throne, and hence the Hand.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2014, 03:15:40 pm »

Looks like houses determine the Hand of the King, not the King.   A house with majority selects the Hand of the King:

The House that has the most members will make the king. When any house reaches a majority, they are informed of that, and before this phase ends, they must vote for one of their own to become Hand of the King. A simple majority of the weighted votes is enough here. The Hand of the King performs the night action of the House until another House gets more members. All night actions of the Hand of the King can't be blocked or Redirected in any way. If the Hand of the King is not elected in time, the House will not be able to perform any night action.

Not sure if who actually sits on the Iron Throne can change or means anything.

PPE: Pacovf said something similar.  I don't actually think this means House Lannister "made the king".  I think it just means Joffry is on the Iron Throne, and the Hand is yet to be chosen.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2014, 03:20:59 pm »

I put "made" in quote marks because obviously Joffrey had to start as the king for flavour reasons. But in game terms, whichever House gets the most members "makes the king", so it seems like the title does change hands. We have no idea what the title does, if anything. Maybe it's tied to an empowerment condition, for all I know.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2014, 03:21:26 pm »

Hmmm. Well I think sitting on the iron throne is definitely possible. Just wondering how we decide who sits their

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2014, 03:26:50 pm »

Also guys if there are doctors or things in this setup we need to be careful about claiming those since scum will know you can't target anyone in the same house as you.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2014, 03:31:11 pm »

My interpretation of the setup post is that "make the king" is a Mafia phrase that means you select someone with special status or power, and what we're really selecting, flavor-wise, is the Hand of the King.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2014, 03:52:47 pm »

Unless someone is going to claim being Joffrey I believe that the king characters are NPCs flavored respective to the current majority house (say Ned for house Stark). I am currently House Lannister and since we are currently the majority house one of our own is Hand. The Hand acts with the authority of the king.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2014, 03:55:37 pm »

Ah that makes sense.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2014, 03:56:37 pm »

Unless someone is going to claim being Joffrey I believe that the king characters are NPCs flavored respective to the current majority house (say Ned for house Stark). I am currently House Lannister and since we are currently the majority house one of our own is Hand. The Hand acts with the authority of the king.
Did you decide amongst yourselves who became the Hand? Or was the decision made for you?

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2014, 03:58:39 pm »

I agree with what PPS said.

ash hasn't spoken yet, which annoys me (because theory talk is ash's thing), but anyway, let's start claiming houses.

I'm in House Stark.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2014, 03:59:55 pm »

Did you decide amongst yourselves who became the Hand? Or was the decision made for you?

The decision was made for us. As I understand it moving forward, there will be voting to determine the Hand amongst the majority house members.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2014, 04:09:28 pm »

Well I am pretty much 100% planning on joining a house today (though I guess it won't go into effect until tonight, since that counts as the next phase I believe).

I could see some advantages to joining the majority house maybe. I kinda want to wait until Hydrad claims his house though, so I can eliminate at least one that way. :)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2014, 04:12:58 pm »

The decision was made for us. As I understand it moving forward, there will be voting to determine the Hand amongst the majority house members.

If I understand correctly, you are stuck with that Hand of the King until he leaves the house or dies, no? I'm also gonna guess he's Tywin Lannister :P

The point about the King being an NPC makes a lot of sense, actually.

Anyway, for those of you that aren't big on their aSoIaF/GoT lore, Brynden "Blackfish" Tully is Catelyn Stark's uncle, so yeah, I am in House Stark too.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2014, 04:15:02 pm »

Oh, and vote: Ichimaru Gin, for being a landless lowborn.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 120  All

Page created in 1.762 seconds with 20 queries.