Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]  All

Author Topic: Amyitis: Building the Hanging Gardens (Game Over: eHalcyon is the winner!)  (Read 28254 times)

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
Re: Amyitis: Building the Hanging Gardens
« Reply #300 on: April 09, 2015, 12:08:40 am »

G3 engineer to I7

I7 is already neutrally filled.  Do you mean I10 or I4?

Oh wait, you probably mean K7, with the I being the tier level. :P

Assuming I am correct, I'll take the Group 1 Engineer to H10.
yeah, I meant k7  :-[

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 09, 2015, 12:53:29 am »

Last Engineer to H4
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 09, 2015, 07:49:13 am »

Current Player: ghostofmars

Caravan Location: Eshnunna
First player: eHalcyon
Round Number: 12
Garden tiles left: 4

Group 1Group 2Group 3
XMerchantX
MerchantMerchantX
XXX

KirianghostofmarseHalcyon
Prestige525980
ResourcesDatesSalt, Dates, SaltPalm
Camels232
Talents113

Link to game sheet
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 09, 2015, 10:39:12 am »

Group 2 merchant

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 09, 2015, 12:38:09 pm »

Merchant

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 09, 2015, 02:13:13 pm »

Kirian I believe has no choice but to pass.

Current Player: ghostofmars

Caravan Location: Eshnunna
Round Number: 12
Garden tiles left: 4

Group 1Group 2Group 3
XXX
MerchantXX
XXX

Prestige525980
ResourcesDatesSalt, Dates, SaltPalm
Camels243
Talents101

Link to game sheet
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 09, 2015, 02:18:26 pm »

I believe Kirian must pass.  He doesn't have enough talents to get the remaining Merchant, and he can't use the location that takes Dates.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 09, 2015, 02:34:17 pm »

Yep.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 09, 2015, 03:11:05 pm »

Unfortunately, I could not wait long enough for eHalcyon to move :(

Spend my remaining camels to go to Khorsabad, Gardener + Dates + Salt = 8vp + 2vp (irrigation bonus).

Pass after eHalcyon's turn. Procession to Marduk

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 09, 2015, 03:25:34 pm »

1 camel to go to Babylon, selling nothing and irrigating in the last spot available, just for kicks.

Kirian gets $1. ghost passes.

1 camel to Ur, plant in H11 for 2VP, $2 and 1VP irrigation bonus.

Others each get $1. 

I take last Merchant so I end with a breeding pair of camels.

Others get $1.  I pass.

For Tammouz, I take Palm for the shade.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 09, 2015, 03:55:37 pm »

I wasn't checking exactly things like camels and talents, since they don't affect endgame scoring, so they might be off by one or two. I gave Kirian a Camel from Ishtar.

Endgame scoring: Everyone has one resource so gets 1 Prestige.
Amyitis's favour: eHalc has built 6 tiles, and so gets 10 Prestige. Kirian has built 4 tiles, and so gets 5 Prestige.

Final Scores:

3rd: Kirian - 59
2nd: ghostofmars - 72
1st: eHalcyon - 94

Congratulations eHalc, and well done to everyone else! I hope you all enjoyed the game, I enjoyed running this one.

Current Player: Endgame

Caravan Location: Ur
Round Number: Endgame
Garden tiles left: 3

Group 1Group 2Group 3
XXX
MerchantXX
XXX

Prestige597294
ResourcesDatesSaltPalm
Camels302
Talents421

Link to game sheet
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 03:56:51 pm by Tables »

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile

Thanks you for modding, Tables.

Congrats eHalcyon to a dominant win, well played.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

Cheers.  It was fun!

For anybody interested, here are my notes.  It might be hard to follow though.

There was one moment early on that I thought was really lucky for me.  It was the round just after ghost had gotten both Caravaneer and Banker.  Only a single Merchant came up and I was first to pick, so ghost was left unable to move at all that round and Kirian was pretty limited.  I was able to leverage that to get Caravaneer for myself and set up to get Banker 2 and Banker 3 the round after.

That was also the round where Kirian had some really weird bad luck where he somehow had the wrong resources to plant and I got confused too.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 05:19:56 pm by eHalcyon »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile

Gg guys.  I'll look at your notes later eH, when I'm at an actual computer and not mobile :)

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Okay, so I'm gonna have a look at all the recruitments as a breakdown...

There, I've added a tab to the spreadsheet, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pmolfTSogaebDJo_qDpkmUkpvmd5QPl9dtVo4wmoqZI/edit#gid=535831188 so everyone can see the numbers. In short:

There was definitely a significant shortage of peasants compared to average, and a glut of Merchants and Priests in it's place. Engineers were just slightly below average in representation.

Turns 8 onwards had actually a very close to average mix of cards, overall over the 5 turns. About the only way it could have been more average is if one of the Merchants was a Priest at some point. So most of the uneven weight happened before that point.

The peasant count was definitely way below average. Not once were all 4 peasants drawn, and in fact rarely were 3 peasants drawn - only once in the first half of the game. The biggest disparity as a percentage of the averagewas turn 7, by which point only 2/3rds of the average number of peasants had been drawn. From there, their draw rate was about average - it stayed at roughly -6 from the mean for the last few turns.

Perhaps less noticable due to it not causing such an issue was the overabundance of Merchants. Only once did a lone Merchant come out (the round that eHalc was talking about earlier), and both before and after that, an above average number of Merchants were drawn. I think this showed - not only were people passing up Merchants regularly, but people still had multiple camels left at the end of the game.

The Engineer count was pretty close to average throughout the game. Well, just below average, but over this many samples that's close enough to call average.

Priests went the other way to Engineers, and were mostly average for a bit... but then suddenly came out in huge numbers around the midgame. Three rounds with three priests in a row is kinda a lot.

Overall, the obvious deviation from the average was peasants and to a lesser degree merchants. A real shortage of peasants meant more time was spent fighting for those Tammouz actions, I noticed, and the peasants all went quickly.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

For a while, I thought there were only 3 Peasants among all the cards.  Can you also breakdown how much of each craftsmen were taken by each player?  Also, who got 1st/2nd most often from each temple?

I definitely think that the $2 income from Banker was more valuable than the points.  If you take away my 16 Banker points I still have the lead, but I wouldn't have been able to do so much planting and irrigating without the talents income.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile

For a while, I thought there were only 3 Peasants among all the cards.  Can you also breakdown how much of each craftsmen were taken by each player?  Also, who got 1st/2nd most often from each temple?

That's too much effort for me, sorry. It was easy to do the overall craftsmen, since I could just ctrl+f for "round number: X" and find the first post of each round. Doing more requires going through every post in the thread.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

That's too much effort for me, sorry. It was easy to do the overall craftsmen, since I could just ctrl+f for "round number: X" and find the first post of each round. Doing more requires going through every post in the thread.

Haha, fair enough.  Maybe I will do it later...

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile

Wow, I read your notes. You invested way more into this game than I did.

For the record: Here are the number of extra turns* that each player had: Kirian - 2, Ghost - 10, eHalcyon - 15 which relates roughly to the banker income (Kirian - 0, Ghost - 10, eHalcyon - 18). Interestingly, from turn 4 onwards, Kirian always had to pass first.

*I count as an extra turn if you take a turn when everybody else has passed or if a player other than the start player passes, so that the start player gets to act more.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

Wow, I read your notes. You invested way more into this game than I did.

For the record: Here are the number of extra turns* that each player had: Kirian - 2, Ghost - 10, eHalcyon - 15 which relates roughly to the banker income (Kirian - 0, Ghost - 10, eHalcyon - 18). Interestingly, from turn 4 onwards, Kirian always had to pass first.

*I count as an extra turn if you take a turn when everybody else has passed or if a player other than the start player passes, so that the start player gets to act more.

That's what I do with online games. :P  I like the analytical bits of it but I can't really do that IRL (without taking an obscene amount of time).  Playing online, it's totally OK to spend 5 minutes thinking through the ramifications of each choice and considering what the others might be doing.  IRL, I have to estimate more broadly.  I'm pretty good at this in some games (7 Wonders) and kinda bad at it in others (Small World, The Ancient World).

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile

That's what I do with online games. :P  I like the analytical bits of it but I can't really do that IRL (without taking an obscene amount of time).  Playing online, it's totally OK to spend 5 minutes thinking through the ramifications of each choice and considering what the others might be doing.  IRL, I have to estimate more broadly.  I'm pretty good at this in some games (7 Wonders) and kinda bad at it in others (Small World, The Ancient World).
Tracking issues are the reason why I don't like playing 7 Wonders without expansion anymore. I feel that I more or less understand the strategy of the game and to improve I would need to increase the amount of information I track. Without that it feels a bit too random for me, because your strategy can be ruined by clustering of important cards.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]  All

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 20 queries.