Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Overpay for VP tokens  (Read 8476 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Overpay for VP tokens
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 07:18:34 am »

without providing an alternative strategy
It's great for 3-piling, since you can gain them all with a single buy and the ones after the first are cheap. It definitely changes the game, much more than Feodum in most kingdoms, I would say.
You need $18 to buy them all, a figure that's quite hard to reach.
You might as well get to $16 with 8 buys and clear out the Estates, which you can do already.

Now I agree that Feodum is often weak, but that's Feodum's problems. At least it attempted to make a certain strategy viable.

Note that there are no vanilla VP kingdom cards currently in existence. They either give VPs for something (actions, silvers, differently named cards) or provide something along those VPs (a reaction, action or treasure).

And this design is about as close as you can come to a vanilla VP card without it being strictly vanilla.

I think it would be better to either have:
  • a regular card for which you can overpay for VPs
  • a VP card which provides something other than VPs if you overpay for it

If you're going with the second idea, you can have something like:
Windmill
Victory - $3+

2 VP

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $ you overpaid, reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card. Discard all revealed cards.

Now, whether or not this is a strong overpay effect doesn't concern me, only the fact that a VP card with overpay for something else might work.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 07:24:56 am »

without providing an alternative strategy
It's great for 3-piling, since you can gain them all with a single buy and the ones after the first are cheap. It definitely changes the game, much more than Feodum in most kingdoms, I would say.
You need $18 to buy them all, a figure that's quite hard to reach.
You might as well get to $16 with 8 buys and clear out the Estates, which you can do already.
$18 isn't hard to reach, 8 buys is. And this gives you 16 points while Estates give only 8.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 07:49:30 am »

They're both hard to reach, but you're missing the point.

I think that having a kingdom pile with VP cards just for the sake of their bare VPs (and not anything else they might offer) is a bad idea.
We already have Farmland which can provide an extra VP card (trashing Copper for an Estate) and it's more flexible because it can trash a Gold for a Province.

This seems like a poor derivative of that.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 08:34:55 am »

They're both hard to reach, but you're missing the point.

I think that having a kingdom pile with VP cards just for the sake of their bare VPs (and not anything else they might offer) is a bad idea.
We already have Farmland which can provide an extra VP card (trashing Copper for an Estate) and it's more flexible because it can trash a Gold for a Province.

This seems like a poor derivative of that.
But it still is great for 3-piling.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.699 seconds with 21 queries.