Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226448 times)

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #5400 on: September 12, 2015, 09:54:14 pm »
+2

I thought rats bred like crazy, why do you need to keep buying them?

I don't think they breed all that much when they're all female.

You just have to make damn sure they're all female. Rats are hard to sex.
My sister had what she thought were two female gerbils once. Then one day, there were more than two gerbils. Peaked at 18 in the end.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #5401 on: September 13, 2015, 07:02:56 am »

I thought rats bred like crazy, why do you need to keep buying them?

I don't think they breed all that much when they're all female.

You just have to make damn sure they're all female. Rats are hard to sex.
My sister had what she thought were two female gerbils once. Then one day, there were more than two gerbils. Peaked at 18 in the end.

If you're unlucky then you actually have two females, but they're already pregnant.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #5402 on: September 13, 2015, 10:43:52 am »
+3

TLDR version: tldr acts as an abstract or summary.

Sudden Clarity Clarence time:  I just realized that people putting "TLDR version" at the top of a long post is exactly equivalent to "Abstract" and "Executive Summary."

Fixed that for you.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #5403 on: September 16, 2015, 03:03:46 pm »

What's worse than reading some racist POS's comment on a news article?

Being bored enough to view the racist POS's Facebook page.

I need videos of animals doing tricks.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5404 on: September 16, 2015, 03:54:54 pm »
+2

What's worse than reading some racist POS's comment on a news article?

Being bored enough to view the racist POS's Facebook page.

I need videos of animals doing tricks.

http://imgur.com/gallery/QblQ8cO

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5405 on: September 16, 2015, 03:57:14 pm »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #5406 on: September 16, 2015, 11:18:23 pm »
+7

The Boxer chase is pretty awesome.

The goalie dog was an obvious camera trick. They just filmed the dog picking up the ball and launching it at 40 mph and then played it backward.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #5407 on: September 17, 2015, 03:16:37 pm »
+2

Today I happened to be in two different maths lessons which were teaching multiplication methods. The two most standard ones used are the column method (the standard/traditional method, aka 'long multiplication') and the grid method.

I've decided I have a new favourite method. You take the two numbers you need to multiply, square their mean then subtract the square of half their range. Obviously you should intuitively know all your squares up to a few hundred for this method (including squares of all halves), but that's just rote learning, so it's fine.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5408 on: September 17, 2015, 03:22:48 pm »
+1

Today I happened to be in two different maths lessons which were teaching multiplication methods. The two most standard ones used are the column method (the standard/traditional method, aka 'long multiplication') and the grid method.

I've decided I have a new favourite method. You take the two numbers you need to multiply, square their mean then subtract the square of half their range. Obviously you should intuitively know all your squares up to a few hundred for this method (including squares of all halves), but that's just rote learning, so it's fine.

After you show the kids that, throw on some polarized sunglasses and give them the "deal with it" face.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #5409 on: September 17, 2015, 03:29:09 pm »

After you show the kids that, throw on some polarized sunglasses and give them the "deal with it" face.

Sadly this year (or at least at the moment) I'm not working with any kids who are mathematically competent enough to even really understand this method, let alone enough to know I'm trolling them.

Although on a serious note, this method isn't entirely useless. With numbers that are reasonably close together, and whose mean is an easy number to square - e.g. one you already have memorised - it's actually very fast. For example I can instantly tell you that 16 * 24 = 384, since I know 20^2 = 400 and 4^2 = 16. But obviously, it's really just a shortcut for those kind of things. Don't try to use it for things like 24 * 342, because turning that into 183^2 - 159^2 really doesn't simplify the problem.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1185
    • View Profile
« Reply #5410 on: September 17, 2015, 03:37:20 pm »

It's also a good method for calculating perfect squares: 38^2 = 36*40 + 2^2 = 1440 + 4 = 1444.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5411 on: September 17, 2015, 03:56:27 pm »

At first I laughed at people who thought everything used vim keybindings, until I tried using vim keybindings in Microsoft Word. Now I sympathize with their struggle.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #5412 on: September 17, 2015, 03:58:15 pm »

I don't think I ever posted in this thread, but it always pops up in my 'new replies to to your posts' section.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5413 on: September 17, 2015, 03:59:03 pm »

I don't think I ever posted in this thread, but it always pops up in my 'new replies to to your posts' section.

Well, now it'll show up there for sure, so whether you posted in this before or not is now moot.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #5414 on: September 17, 2015, 04:03:54 pm »

Well, now it'll show up there for sure, so whether you posted in this before or not is now moot.
Yep, I have decided that I will get spammed by people talking about rats having sex.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #5415 on: September 17, 2015, 04:13:59 pm »
+2

Sadly this year (or at least at the moment) I'm not working with any kids who are mathematically competent enough to even really understand this method, let alone enough to know I'm trolling them.

Although on a serious note, this method isn't entirely useless. With numbers that are reasonably close together, and whose mean is an easy number to square - e.g. one you already have memorised - it's actually very fast. For example I can instantly tell you that 16 * 24 = 384, since I know 20^2 = 400 and 4^2 = 16. But obviously, it's really just a shortcut for those kind of things. Don't try to use it for things like 24 * 342, because turning that into 183^2 - 159^2 really doesn't simplify the problem.

I have also used this method, again only for things that are nicely obvious like your example.

Also, your original post was missing something about the reason it works being left as an exercise for the student.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: September 17, 2015, 04:40:28 pm »
+1

Well if they understand why it's important that your sunglasses are polarized, they definitely deserve the "A".

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: September 18, 2015, 04:46:53 pm »
+1

This DOES make it much easier to square large numbers. For instance, usually squaring a number like 73 for example is tedious, but instead calculate 70*76 + 3^2 = 5329. Okay, there was still work involved, but you saved at least half the time.

EDIT: I see I should have read more than just the most recent two posts, as this was already brought up. So this is redundant, but I don't want to delete it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 04:50:32 pm by liopoil »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: September 18, 2015, 07:14:05 pm »
+3

Well I could post this in "Song of the Day", but really the part I want to share is the video itself:

I first saw this when I saw them live earlier this year; they showed it on a big screen behind the stage.  It was really, really cool. 

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: September 19, 2015, 09:04:32 pm »
+2

Not sure whether or not this should go in RSP

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #5421 on: September 21, 2015, 03:04:46 pm »
+1

One of the great parts of GoPro / the Internet is that I can vicariously enjoy extreme thrills without the enormous expense and attendant risk of injury.  For example:

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: September 21, 2015, 03:07:58 pm »
+4

I am not convinced that watching these videos is risk free for me.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: September 21, 2015, 06:45:04 pm »

Nope.  Nope Nope Nope.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: September 22, 2015, 03:27:49 am »
+1

Mane6, the dev team behind Fighting is Magic, has a crowdfunding campaign for their legally distinct spiritual successor, Them's Fightin' Herds.

I'm mostly glad they pulled it off, since they had around 2 years of work before Hasbro sent a cease & desist for Fighting is Magic, and 2 years after the C&D they have this. Not sure if I'll back or not though, not that into traditional fighting games.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 230  All

Page created in 2.002 seconds with 21 queries.