Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226106 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #5325 on: August 26, 2015, 11:34:44 am »

deck.shuffle()

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #5326 on: August 26, 2015, 11:48:15 am »

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #5327 on: August 26, 2015, 12:45:43 pm »

Guy my wife knows is a bit of a conspiracy theorist and doesn't wish to invest his money in banks. Instead, he's buying gold and coins for the inevitable government collapse.

I'm trying to figure out what good will precious metals do him if that happens. It seems like buying guns and swords would be a better option. And even if the government doesn't crash, you can still deal in antique weapons.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5328 on: August 26, 2015, 01:33:55 pm »

Ever since I heard someone give the full three-syllable pronunciation of Wednesday, I've tried to emulate that. The "dnes" bit feels a bit like you're swallowing.

Hmm, that's sort of what I was getting at when I said

For me, Wednesday is pronounced "wensssday".  The triple s is supposed to represent that there's a bit of a pause in there, which approximates the third syllable.

It feels more like half a syllable than a full third syllable though.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #5329 on: August 26, 2015, 03:12:23 pm »

Any suggestions on how to shuffle a ~1500 card deck well when the cards are all made of flimsy computer paper?

I don't know what you're doing, but I'm almost certain there's a better method you could be using that doesn't involve shuffling a 1,500 card deck.

It's a card game my family made, and the deck size is always growing.  We rarely ever shuffle it, but for various reasons I just alphabetized it and I need to shuffle it again.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5330 on: August 26, 2015, 04:26:21 pm »

Any suggestions on how to shuffle a ~1500 card deck well when the cards are all made of flimsy computer paper?

I don't know what you're doing, but I'm almost certain there's a better method you could be using that doesn't involve shuffling a 1,500 card deck.

It's a card game my family made, and the deck size is always growing.  We rarely ever shuffle it, but for various reasons I just alphabetized it and I need to shuffle it again.

Should have gotten some index cards, dude.

Serious suggestion: find a clean, enclosed area.  Scatter the sheets.  Pick them up again.

And now for something completely different:

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5331 on: August 26, 2015, 05:44:46 pm »

Well, it's too late now...

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5332 on: August 26, 2015, 05:55:48 pm »

Well, it's too late now...

Don't shuffle the individual cards.  Put enumerative markers every 10 and 100 (different sizes), generate the sequence of cards to draw with a computer via simulated shuffling, and select those cards manually!

Of course, replacement will be annoying.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5333 on: August 26, 2015, 07:21:56 pm »
+1

Not familiar with this artist, and I'm not a fan of rap in general, but I do appreciate this guy's wordplay. Not a fan of the transcript, but the person was close enough I guess.

A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #5334 on: August 26, 2015, 08:47:03 pm »

Bo Burnham? All I know about him is the New Math video which went viral... like, years ago.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5335 on: August 26, 2015, 10:25:39 pm »

Bo Burnham? All I know about him is the New Math video which went viral... like, years ago.

I recently watched the New Math video. It was amusing, but I can see why the audience wouldn't get all the jokes. Some of them require a bit of time to process, and the song just doesn't allow for that.

Even then, it took a lot of brain-stretching to get from Domain, Domain, Range to chromosomal issues. 
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5336 on: August 28, 2015, 04:58:41 pm »
+6

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5337 on: August 29, 2015, 11:37:45 pm »
+5

Maybe it's a little cruel of me to log into these sites as the guy who keeps using my e-mail address for his profile and then change the e-mail to something bogus so that I never get notifications from those sites again and subsequently lock him forever out of those sites, but seriously dude, learn to type in your own e-mail address.
A man has no signature

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #5338 on: August 30, 2015, 12:03:56 am »
+1

Maybe it's a little cruel of me to log into these sites as the guy who keeps using my e-mail address for his profile and then change the e-mail to something bogus so that I never get notifications from those sites again and subsequently lock him forever out of those sites, but seriously dude, learn to type in your own e-mail address.

I was sure 12345abcde@hotmail. com wasn't used! Sorry about that!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5339 on: August 30, 2015, 01:23:05 am »
+4

I was sure 12345abcde@hotmail. com wasn't used! Sorry about that!

That's the sort of email address an idiot would put on his luggage.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5340 on: August 30, 2015, 11:02:47 pm »
+7

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5341 on: September 01, 2015, 09:00:01 pm »

I forgot to ask earlier... anyone here have Splatoon? I recently took the plunge (well, considering how much cheaper the game is than most Wii U games, I guess the splash) and got the game, so it'd be nice to add people from here if I haven't already.

I've been playing Splatoon a lot more recently. I'm interested in swapping Network IDs. I should really find that other thread where folks were posting theirs and enter a bunch.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #5342 on: September 01, 2015, 11:00:35 pm »
+1

Today I ran 4km, up from my previous maximum of 2.5km, and still felt like I could have run a little bit more (rather than feeling like a facehugger just got me pregnant).

The main differences were:
-I hadn't been running as often the previous week (twice, rather than my "usual" every other day);
-I lowered my jogging rhythm a tiny bit, from a fast jog to a moderately brisk one;
-I modified my itinerary from a down-up one to a flatter one that went up-down instead,
-I had a Burger King meal 2.5 hours before, instead of a small snack an hour before (I don't eat much).

Now to find out which one did the trick...

EDIT: and in unrelated news, we've been having a lunar eclipse these past few days, but I didn't notice until tonight.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 11:20:10 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5343 on: September 01, 2015, 11:38:48 pm »
+3

EDIT: and in unrelated news, we've been having a lunar eclipse these past few days, but I didn't notice until tonight.

I'm not certain what you meant to type there, but it certainly was not "lunar eclipse."  Lunar eclipses last just several hours, and the next one won't happen until the end of this month.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: September 01, 2015, 11:49:15 pm »

The moon was red for a couple of hours tonight, and I think yesterday too (I think I missed it, I just saw the moon being particularly yellow), is what I meant. But I've been mistaken before.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5345 on: September 01, 2015, 11:53:00 pm »
+1

It's probably not an eclipse, just really close to the horizon. The moon looks really orange/red when it's low, just like the sun gets really red when it sets.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: September 02, 2015, 12:05:04 am »

Uuuuuh if you are using horizon in the same sense I do, then no. The Moon was a good 40º up from the horizon when it got red.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5347 on: September 02, 2015, 12:39:44 am »
+1

It could be smoke somehow?  That happened around here recently.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: September 02, 2015, 12:43:07 am »
+2

I'm not certain what you meant to type there, but it certainly was not "lunar eclipse."  Lunar eclipses last just several hours, and the next one won't happen until the end of this month.

Holy shit, have I got a cool idea to introduce in an RPG now. The days-long lunar eclipse, though I guess a days-long solar eclipse would be more terrifying.
A man has no signature

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: September 02, 2015, 02:06:49 am »

Okay, maybe someone here can give me advice on this.  I've been out of college for a year now, and I'm starting to look into grad school.  From what I can tell, most grad schools require three letters of recommendation, and most of them want at least one or two to be from professors.  I have a Bachelor's with a dual major in math and philosophy, and I'm looking at going for a Master's or maybe PhD in math.  My problem is that I was an idiot (and also have a very shy personality), and never made any effort to establish any kind of relationship with my professors.  If anything I tried to avoid that.  I have three work-related people (my current boss, my previous boss, and my boss's boss) who I think would all write me excellent recommendations if I asked.  (I tutor math and physics, so my job is clearly related to math, but I'm a little worried that they wouldn't really have the expertise to say that I'm great at math, just great at teaching and know enough math to teach it at a high school level.)  I have one philosophy professor who I think would write me an outstanding recommendation, and two other philosophy professors who would probably write me good recommendations, but I'm not going to grad school for philosophy.  I doubt that any of my math professors would remember me though.

So what should I do here?  I feel like I really need at least one professor, so my options are:
1. 2 from work, 1 from math prof
2. 2 from work, 1 from philosophy prof
3. 1 from work, 1 from math prof, 1 from philosophy prof
4. 1 from work, 2 from math profs
5. 1 from work, 2 from philosophy profs
6. Give up on going to grad school
I doubt I'd get all 3 from professors unless I really had to.  #2 or #3 look the best to me.  As I'm writing all this out, I'm starting to convince myself #3 is really the way to go, but #2 would be so much easier...

I live in the U.S. if that's relevant.
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 230  All

Page created in 1.502 seconds with 21 queries.