Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1225192 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #4875 on: July 07, 2015, 04:49:48 pm »

This video has lots of swearing, and stupidity.

I really want to say this is a troll. I really do. I can't stop laughing at this.

>Smash Bros is a ripoff of Halo
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:55:20 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: July 07, 2015, 05:54:52 pm »

You know that SMBC now has both hover text and the red-button extra panel, right?

Happy reread!

EDIT: Ninja'd, of course.
Maybe if I read random comics enough times I'll get through all the new voteys and tooltips I missed. The new red-button panels have art consistent with the author's modern style, so it looks like they were made recently. What possessed him to go back and add red-button panels for old comics anyway.

To destroy our lives.

I'm still curious how markusin discovered this.
The answer to this is quite simple

I've read the entire archive of SMBC starting from the comic you posted in this thread earlier.
+
I read random SMBC comics for a few minutes from time to time just because I feel like it.

You can tell which comics are older by the art and the subversive dark-comedy, though that's not to say dark comedy can't be found in some of the newer comics.

SMBC is a nice example of a webcomic that's improved over the years. Towards the beginning, you could make a reasonably accurate guess as to what the punchline would be.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: July 07, 2015, 05:57:26 pm »

Speaking of webcomics, Poorly Drawn Lines has changed the layout of the mobile version of it's website recently. It doesn't let me zoom in on my mobile phone anymore. How frustrating!

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: July 07, 2015, 06:00:32 pm »

You know that SMBC now has both hover text and the red-button extra panel, right?

Happy reread!

There is also hover text over the red button with a delay, so be sure to wait before you click it.

Wait, what? I went to check this immediately but it's not working for me on Firefox.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: July 07, 2015, 06:01:47 pm »
+1

.. it was a joke...

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4880 on: July 07, 2015, 07:44:09 pm »

.. it was a joke...

One does not simply joke about hidden content on a webcomic.

As you can see, we're a very productive forum.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: July 07, 2015, 07:50:29 pm »

.. it was a joke...

One does not simply joke about hidden content on a webcomic.

As you can see, we're a very productive forum.
I fell for it too!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4882 on: July 07, 2015, 07:59:12 pm »

I wish there was an easy way to vote for certain webcomics and keep track of favorites so you could share with your friends.

Basically, I wish there was some sort of meta-comic website where you could view a whole bunch of comics, rate individual daily comics, rate webcomics, etc.  You can then save certain ones as favorites and share them easily, and have a recommendation engine suggest new comics you'd like.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: July 07, 2015, 08:02:09 pm »

I wish there was an easy way to vote for certain webcomics and keep track of favorites so you could share with your friends.

Basically, I wish there was some sort of meta-comic website where you could view a whole bunch of comics, rate individual daily comics, rate webcomics, etc.  You can then save certain ones as favorites and share them easily, and have a recommendation engine suggest new comics you'd like.

Why did you say that out loud? It's too late to even start now, some Zuckerberg will make millions off your idea.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: July 07, 2015, 08:05:23 pm »
+6

forum.webcomicsrtrategy.com

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: July 07, 2015, 08:44:37 pm »
+3

Happy reread!

Maybe if I read random comics enough times I'll get through all the new voteys and tooltips I missed. The new red-button panels have art consistent with the author's modern style, so it looks like they were made recently. What possessed him to go back and add red-button panels for old comics anyway.

At a certain Patreon threshold, which was hit, he offered to do 1/day until the backlog was filled in.

About 1000 comics in, SMBC really turned the corner from "pretty good most days" to "incredible". I don't know if it was sheer practice or a conscious decision to make the humor a little less dark and a little more absurd, but whenever I'm recommending the comic, I recommend that new readers start from the present and work backwards.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: July 07, 2015, 09:34:43 pm »

The problem is that sites like this already exist. The recommendation engine may not be there, but the voting certainly exists.

The issue is that there's more than one such site (although you can probably get away with looking only at the most popular one), and the rankings depend a lot on how much webcomic creators ask their audience to vote on their comic. The votey from SMBC was originally a bonus panel that was added only if Zach got enough votes on a top 100 webcomics site for that day. Eventually he decided to do them every day and stopped pushing people to vote as much.

The end result is that if you go to the first Google result, SMBC is ranked #390 with 28 votes this month. The webcomic audience (meaning the audience that cares about a webcomic enough to vote for it) is small enough that the creator recommendation bump can bring a comic up by a lot. Plus there were some comics that actually locked content until enough people voted for it that day, although I'm pretty sure those comics get blacklisted pretty fast.

For comics with Patreons, seeing the Patreon pledge amount is usually a good sign of how much people like that comic, since it's basically impossible to convince someone who's only ambivalent about your work to pay you money every month. Unfortunately, Patreon's search isn't very good.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:36:39 pm by Titandrake »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: July 07, 2015, 09:50:30 pm »
+1

Aren't those sites like daily votes or something though?  I think theory is asking for something more like BGG where you just rank webcomics a single time, as a whole.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: July 07, 2015, 10:26:35 pm »
+1

webcomicsstrategy.com
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: July 07, 2015, 10:41:13 pm »
+1

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4890 on: July 07, 2015, 11:36:54 pm »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: July 08, 2015, 01:43:41 am »
+1

Happy reread!

At a certain Patreon threshold, which was hit, he offered to do 1/day until the backlog was filled in.

About 1000 comics in, SMBC really turned the corner from "pretty good most days" to "incredible". I don't know if it was sheer practice or a conscious decision to make the humor a little less dark and a little more absurd, but whenever I'm recommending the comic, I recommend that new readers start from the present and work backwards.

Should we be waiting for him to start back-filling tooltip jokes too?

Already worth it.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: July 08, 2015, 08:42:06 am »
+6

Another noteworthy one:

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: July 08, 2015, 09:29:29 am »
+5

I may have cackled too heartily last night. I had butter on my hands from eating a grilled cheese sandwich. I opened my rat cage to let the rats lick the butter off. I didn't have time to wait around so I just grabbed one of my rats and rubbed my hands all over her fur. One of the other rats kept following her around and licking her, which annoyed her, but it was just too funny.
A man has no signature

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: July 08, 2015, 09:51:22 am »
+6

I may have cackled too heartily last night. I had butter on my hands from eating a grilled cheese sandwich. I opened my rat cage to let the rats lick the butter off. I didn't have time to wait around so I just grabbed one of my rats and rubbed my hands all over her fur. One of the other rats kept following her around and licking her, which annoyed her, but it was just too funny.

So... You ate a butter-cheese-sandwich, made a mess, and because you found it too bothersome to even wait for your rats to lick it off you, you used one as a towel? That's... really gross. I mean, cheese and butter on the same sandwich? Yuk.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: July 08, 2015, 11:31:25 am »
+2

So... You ate a butter-cheese-sandwich, made a mess, and because you found it too bothersome to even wait for your rats to lick it off you, you used one as a towel? That's... really gross. I mean, cheese and butter on the same sandwich? Yuk.

Usually the butter goes on the outside, so that you get browning.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: July 08, 2015, 11:32:04 am »

Aren't those sites like daily votes or something though?  I think theory is asking for something more like BGG where you just rank webcomics a single time, as a whole.

Yeah, a BGG but for comics would be quite awesome actually.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: July 08, 2015, 11:55:09 am »
+1

Usually the butter goes on the outside, so that you get browning.

Technically he's right that the butter and cheese are on the same sandwich.

But it's not a lot of butter like you'd find on garlic toast. Just a thin spread of butter to allow browning. I spread it so thin that my knife threatens the structural integrity of the bread.

I rethink things now that I have pet rats. Any ole box usually can make a play toy before I throw it away. And now after eating, I can stick my hands in the cage before washing them.

Wiping the butter on a rat is actually not a bad thing. Some rat owners will apply vanilla or yogurt onto a new rat so the old ones will groom her and bond with her. That's just unnecessary for my current mischief.
A man has no signature

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4898 on: July 08, 2015, 12:53:32 pm »

Sort of both.  I was thinking that you would have an overall ranking of webcomics, but more importantly, that you would rank individual comics within a webcomic to compare those comics internally.  For example, I'd like to be able to compare Penny Arcade #342 to #585, not to SMBC #4441.  This is a good way of seeing which comics people think are the "best" for a particular webcomic series.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: July 08, 2015, 12:58:34 pm »
+1

Sort of both.  I was thinking that you would have an overall ranking of webcomics, but more importantly, that you would rank individual comics within a webcomic to compare those comics internally.  For example, I'd like to be able to compare Penny Arcade #342 to #585, not to SMBC #4441.  This is a good way of seeing which comics people think are the "best" for a particular webcomic series.

webcomicsmash.com !
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 230  All

Page created in 2.28 seconds with 21 queries.