Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226416 times)

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #4600 on: June 16, 2015, 02:41:03 pm »
+5

Damn it, apparently not.

The post count is with you, young Wooznum, but you are not a 3-star yet.
well you have one so I at most need 20. How long do you think we can drag this conversation on?

We could discuss the location of any secret bases you have.
that wasnt part of the deal!

Darth Vader

• Young Witch
  • You don't know the power of the draw card
  • Respect: +314
    • View Profile
    • Best Site Ever
« Reply #4601 on: June 16, 2015, 02:42:43 pm »
+7

Damn it, apparently not.

The post count is with you, young Wooznum, but you are not a 3-star yet.
well you have one so I at most need 20. How long do you think we can drag this conversation on?

We could discuss the location of any secret bases you have.
that wasnt part of the deal!

Pray I do not Altar the deal any further. Because you know, I could trash you. For any $5 cost.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: June 16, 2015, 02:44:56 pm »
+2

My reaction to all of this:

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: June 16, 2015, 02:59:40 pm »

We're debating rescuing a rat. Pet store has two rats returned to it, and they are not at all social. In fact, one of them bit me when I tried to pick her up, and rats aren't known for biting.

But the super-aggressive one looks like she may have a tumor. We're new rat owners, and I don't think we have the experience and resources to care for two rehab rats. If the entumored one passes and leaves her cagemate alone, then we could consider rehabilitating her. Even then that's kind of sketchy.
A man has no signature

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: June 16, 2015, 03:12:38 pm »
+1

There has to be some joke available here regarding gaining rats, and trashing your house, or something, but I can't quite grab it.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: June 17, 2015, 02:32:08 am »

https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-petition-for-cancelation-of-metroid-prime-federation-force

Oh man. That game looked like a generic first person Sci-Fi shooter, not like any Metroid game I can think of. I'll keep an eye on it just in case it turns out good (I'm a sucker for Metroid after all) but I don't have my hopes up.

Nintendo's E3 was really not that amazing this year. Had a few nice games but nothing too hype.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: June 17, 2015, 02:33:12 am »
+2

https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-petition-for-cancelation-of-metroid-prime-federation-force

(Please notice the 90% dislike ratio. NO ONE wants this game.)

Blatantly untrue.  That statistic suggests that 10% of people want this game. :P

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: June 17, 2015, 08:48:11 am »
+3

OMGWTFBBQ

This video has used up all the awesome.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: June 17, 2015, 09:26:19 am »

Just... wow.  That's too good to be true...

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: June 17, 2015, 09:48:08 am »

Now they only need to add Dr McNinja and the Universe will implode, expand, and implode again.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: June 17, 2015, 12:10:53 pm »
+1

So I saw this article pop up on Facebook news feed and only briefly scanned:

http://fantasy-faction.com/2015/breakfast-of-bullshit-futurephobia-the-hugos-and-the-invention-of-sfs-past?utm_content=buffer5786f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

It sounds like there are people that think SciFi isn't about  political/social/etc. issues.  Does anyone know anything about this or the "Hugo Controversy"?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: June 17, 2015, 12:22:56 pm »

It sounds like there are people that think SciFi isn't about  political/social/etc. issues.  Does anyone know anything about this or the "Hugo Controversy"?

It's 100% RSP. I was typing up a "short version" and even that was pretty crazy.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: June 17, 2015, 12:46:23 pm »
+1

It also doesn't even seem worth responding to. Claiming science-fiction shouldn't be (and hasn't been) political is like claiming that the Earth is flat. It's not a political statement, it's a flat-out lie or mistake.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: June 17, 2015, 12:50:45 pm »

It also doesn't even seem worth responding to. Claiming science-fiction shouldn't be (and hasn't been) political is like claiming that the Earth is flat. It's not a political statement, it's a flat-out lie or mistake.

Anyone who says this idiotic statement that science fiction has never been political clearly has never read Philip K. Dick or Ray Bradbury...

Part of the magic of science fiction is the weird. The what-if. I love science fiction for the ability to criticize everything by taking it to the extreme.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 12:55:53 pm by Seprix »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: June 17, 2015, 12:51:20 pm »

http://fantasy-faction.com/2015/breakfast-of-bullshit-futurephobia-the-hugos-and-the-invention-of-sfs-past?utm_content=buffer5786f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Very interesting read, thanks for sharing :)
I have no clue about this "Hugo" thing.

Where i live, Hugo is either a rare, anachronistic name or a sweet alcoholic beverage.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: June 17, 2015, 01:09:54 pm »

Very interesting read, thanks for sharing :)
I have no clue about this "Hugo" thing.

Where i live, Hugo is either a rare, anachronistic name or a sweet alcoholic beverage.

Haven't read yet.  I don't know what the controversy specifically is, but I'd bet that it involves the Hugo Awards.  Probably they nominated or awarded something controversial.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: June 17, 2015, 01:12:46 pm »

Science Fiction is an incredibly broad genre.

"From Earth to the Moon" by Jules Verne is something i'd consider Science Fiction. It has barely any social commentary and doesn't play in the future. It's still science fiction in the strictest meaning of the words, an adventure novel based on a technological premise.

"A Clockwork Orange" plays in the future, and boy, everything that plays in the future is science fiction, right? Well, future should bring scientific/technological evolvements, so fictional science is bound to be part of it, so - it's science fiction, isn't it? Either way, that book has a whole lot of social commentary.

An then there's stuff like "Star Wars". A long time ago, in a far far away galaxy. So, no future, no social stuff, but IN SPACE! And space, again, implies (fictional) technology/science, so hey, those definitions seem to get along after all. I assume that Star Wars is closest to what a certain "Nutty Nuts" person from that blog post might like, because it spends no thought on how human society might evolve (as it's neither about humans nor the future), and is basically an adventure tale with lasers and space ships. That's one of the reasons why i can understand people considering Star Wars "not exactly Sci-Fi", though obviously it fits the definition i gave.

It all comes down to what you expect from Sci-Fi. And whether you think a story about Cowboys in space can be any good.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 01:17:25 pm by Asper »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: June 17, 2015, 01:21:26 pm »
+1

It all comes down to what you expect from Sci-Fi. And whether you think a story about Cowboys in space can be any good.

Firefly would like to have a word with you.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: June 17, 2015, 01:23:51 pm »

I don't think any genre of literature precludes social, political, religious, or any other kind of commentary.  I think SciFi especially examines "the human condition" and what it is to be human, which tends to go into those other things.  But it need not be SciFi to do this; it could have been Fantasy, Horror, or just general Fiction.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4620 on: June 17, 2015, 01:24:48 pm »

As a frequenter of fan-run coins planning to go to WorldCon this year, I've been following quite closely.

As Voltaire noted, even a vague summary is so RSP that it's ridiculous.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: June 17, 2015, 01:38:10 pm »

As a frequenter of fan-run coins planning to go to WorldCon this year, I've been following quite closely.

I don't understand what this is.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: June 17, 2015, 01:43:55 pm »

OK, just read up on the controversy and wow, that is disgusting and deluded. 

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: June 17, 2015, 01:47:46 pm »
+3

I don't understand what this is.

Fan-run coins are gatherings of numismatics enthusiasts.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: June 17, 2015, 01:54:12 pm »
+1

The thing I think I can safely say, RSP excluded, is to remember that those who attend WorldCon themselves are actually an incredibly diverse group, and the people who care/run/obsess over the Hugos are actually a tiny percentage of the "organization".
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 230  All

Page created in 1.92 seconds with 21 queries.