Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226077 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #4550 on: June 11, 2015, 10:57:05 pm »

I haven't laughed so hard in such a long time...

I guess it may be funny, but I couldn't get past the female characters. I guess this is normal on that show?
A man has no signature

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: June 11, 2015, 11:01:43 pm »

I guess it may be funny, but I couldn't get past the female characters. I guess this is normal on that show?

Yeah, pretty much. They're kind of stupid. You haven't seen Cake Boss, you wouldn't get why the entire video was funny.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 01:20:13 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: June 11, 2015, 11:24:29 pm »
+1

Cooking measurements are the worst.  When you have a recipe in a country using the metric system, how to you measure everything?  We have things like teaspoons, tablespoons (why?  For the love of god, WHY??????), cups, ounces (what is this?!?!?  I don't even know what fundamental property I'm measuring), and other things.

Oh, and naturally, things are denominated in fractions, generally based on powers of 2.  So you'd have, like, 1/2 tsp, 1/4 tsp, 1/8 tsp, etc.  "tsp" means "teaspoon", which means something but who knows what.  "tbsp" means "tablespoon" which means something bigger.  Like a bigger spoon.  I mean, you have spoons, too, but these are not standardized, because anyone can make a spoon.  But some spoons are special spoons, and some of them you use to drink tea, and the others you use to drink tables.  Okay it's probably bigger because it goes on the table to use for other things (e.g., soup, cereal).  I guess it's okay to use the same sized spoon for soup or cereal, but god forbid it goes near your teacup. 

We also have the cup.  Cups are also things that can contain liquid, but don't confuse cups with cups or you may end up with too much stuff. 

I honestly don't know how cooks don't go insane.

You know they sell things that measure these exact things, right?  And they even look like spoons.

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=289788
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: June 11, 2015, 11:25:12 pm »

Cooking measurements are the worst.  When you have a recipe in a country using the metric system, how to you measure everything?  We have things like teaspoons, tablespoons (why?  For the love of god, WHY??????), cups, ounces (what is this?!?!?  I don't even know what fundamental property I'm measuring), and other things.

Oh, and naturally, things are denominated in fractions, generally based on powers of 2.  So you'd have, like, 1/2 tsp, 1/4 tsp, 1/8 tsp, etc.  "tsp" means "teaspoon", which means something but who knows what.  "tbsp" means "tablespoon" which means something bigger.  Like a bigger spoon.  I mean, you have spoons, too, but these are not standardized, because anyone can make a spoon.  But some spoons are special spoons, and some of them you use to drink tea, and the others you use to drink tables.  Okay it's probably bigger because it goes on the table to use for other things (e.g., soup, cereal).  I guess it's okay to use the same sized spoon for soup or cereal, but god forbid it goes near your teacup. 

We also have the cup.  Cups are also things that can contain liquid, but don't confuse cups with cups or you may end up with too much stuff. 

You know they sell things that measure these exact things, right?  And they even look like spoons.

Hilariously, this one also lists the metric equivalents on the spoons themselves:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisipro-Stainless-Steel-Measuring-Spoon/dp/B00004SU1I/ref=lp_289788_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1434079426&sr=1-2

1 tsp = 5 ml
1 tbsp = 15 ml
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: June 12, 2015, 03:21:55 am »

I haven't played Pokemon Online in ages.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: June 12, 2015, 07:10:08 am »

Yeah, pretty much. They're kind of stupid. You haven't seen Cake Boss, you wouldn't get why the entire video was funny.

The only thing i thought was funny was how he makes his cakes of everything but cake. It's pretty much what he actually does. The rest was typical internet "parody" humor, which becomes all too predictable after a while.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: June 12, 2015, 08:20:02 am »

We also have teaspoons and tablespoons. A teaspoon is 5 ml, a tablespoon is 1 cl.

The former is a bit imprecise, the latter is outright wrong, given that there are 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon.

1 teaspoon = 0.492892159 centiliters
1 tablespoon = 1.478 cL

And for those inclined to argue about the placement of punctuation inside or outside the quotation marks, the abbreviation for liters is "L", not "l".

Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4557 on: June 12, 2015, 08:34:05 am »

We also have teaspoons and tablespoons. A teaspoon is 5 ml, a tablespoon is 1 cl.

The former is a bit imprecise, the latter is outright wrong, given that there are 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon.

1 tablespoon = 1.478 cL

And for those inclined to argue about the placement of punctuation inside or outside the quotation marks, the abbreviation for liters is "L", not "l".

Well, they aren't really teaspoon and tablespoon, they are teelusikka and ruokalusikka (which are the Finnish words for those items, respectively). A teelusikka is exactly 5ml and a ruokalusikka is exactly 1cl.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: June 12, 2015, 09:12:30 am »

1 tablespoon = 1.478 cL

"teaspoon" and "tablespoon"  have different meanings depending on where you are.  American ones are different than other ones; in some places they're defined as an integer number of ml (as in Awaclus') case.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: June 12, 2015, 09:13:38 am »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4560 on: June 12, 2015, 09:15:12 am »

Hilariously, this one also lists the metric equivalents on the spoons themselves:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisipro-Stainless-Steel-Measuring-Spoon/dp/B00004SU1I/ref=lp_289788_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1434079426&sr=1-2

1 tsp = 5 ml
1 tbsp = 15 ml

That's not true, though.   Not for US tsp and tbsp.  Well I guess you can say it's rounded.. the more precise measures are what SfS said.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: June 12, 2015, 09:15:56 am »

So on that measuring spoon that says "1 Tbsp" and "15 mL", I don't know which one of those labels is true.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: June 12, 2015, 09:17:54 am »

So on that measuring spoon that says "1 Tbsp" and "15 mL", I don't know which one of those labels is true.

In the US, both are correct to two significant digits.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: June 12, 2015, 09:19:25 am »

But it's misleading, because "1 Tbsp" is exact.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: June 12, 2015, 09:48:27 am »
+6

If you are cooking something that requires more than two significant digits of precision... I want in.

My favourite cooking measure is the "while".

"Let it stew for a while before adding the carrots..."

Does someone really get paid for writing that!?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: June 12, 2015, 10:15:59 am »

If you are cooking something that requires more than two significant digits of precision... I want in.

My favourite cooking measure is the "while".

"Let it stew for a while before adding the carrots..."

Does someone really get paid for writing that!?

Just think of all the recipes that all somehow call for an integer number of "eggs."

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: June 12, 2015, 10:18:46 am »

My wife bakes bread as a hobby.  Many of her recipes do require two places of precision.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: June 12, 2015, 10:54:40 am »

My wife bakes bread as a hobby.  Many of her recipes do require two places of precision.

Two or three? I don't think I've ever seen something go more precise than two digits (something like 175g doesn't count: the intended precision is really 25g, not 5g).
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: June 12, 2015, 01:03:40 pm »
+2

Two or three? I don't think I've ever seen something go more precise than two digits (something like 175g doesn't count: the intended precision is really 25g, not 5g).

Bread that calls for 250 g of X will be noticeably wrong with 240 or 260 g.  So, definitely not three digits of precision; a 1 g difference wouldn't change much.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: June 12, 2015, 01:07:06 pm »

1 tablespoon = 1.478 cL

Well, they aren't really teaspoon and tablespoon, they are teelusikka and ruokalusikka (which are the Finnish words for those items, respectively). A teelusikka is exactly 5ml and a ruokalusikka is exactly 1cl.

That's very interesting.  So the latter is exactly two of the former, as contrasted with a multiplier of 3 for the american (approximate) analogs.  Do I get extra respect for the alliteration?

As an aside: the past several pages of discussion has got me thinking, and I realized that after 35+ years in laboratories, identifying the less frequently encountered term between the pair {decimeter, centiliter} is frighteningly easy.  Though both are not encountered routinely, I have spoken or written "decimeter" probably two or three times a year.  I cannot think of a single time where I have read or used "centiliter" in a professional setting. 

I would have thought is would have been the reverse, as volumes are much more important in applied chemistry settings than lengths.  On the other hand, most of my use of "decimeter" has been to remind fresh graduates what a liter "looks like" in an easily visualized regular vessel.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: June 12, 2015, 01:29:50 pm »
+1

Well, we have pointless measurements. Now all we need are pointless stories and we'll be a fully functioning Austere Academy.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: June 12, 2015, 02:24:04 pm »
+1

I just discovered this list and I am doing my best to forget it exists, or else I know I won't get any work done for the rest of today.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: June 12, 2015, 02:38:14 pm »
+7

I'm at exactly 1 respect per post. Please kindly do not ruin it by +1-ing this.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: June 12, 2015, 04:45:51 pm »
+2

you just need to post more now I guess.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: June 12, 2015, 05:25:09 pm »
+1

you just need to post more now I guess.

Perhaps in Forum Games.. have you checked them out?
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 230  All

Page created in 2.289 seconds with 21 queries.