Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226652 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #4400 on: June 09, 2015, 01:21:05 pm »
+13

The best argument against the metric system I ever heard was that it was invented by the French.

I admit that's nearly enough to make me want to switch to anything else. :P

Even better/worse, it's instrinsically linked to the French Revolution. Everyone using the metric system has blood on their hands !

LITRES of blood.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: June 09, 2015, 02:39:39 pm »

The best argument against the metric system I ever heard was that it was invented by the French.

Alors, petit homme, c'est trop! Nous francais sont les plus sympathiques personnes du monde! Et si tu ne comprends ca, je croi que tu a besoin que je te passe à tabac avec une affiche gigantesque d'art harem!

No, actually, i don't see where all this hate for the french comes from. They make amazing cheeze, are a grande nation of comics and have an impressive cultural heritage. And they invented french freedom fries*.

*Unpatriotic words were changed.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: June 09, 2015, 02:52:05 pm »
+2

Alors, petit homme, c'est trop! Nous francais sont les plus sympathiques personnes du monde! Et si tu ne comprends ca, je croi que tu a besoin que je te passe à tabac avec une affiche gigantesque d'art harem!

No, actually, i don't see where all this hate for the french comes from. They make amazing cheeze, are a grande nation of comics and have an impressive cultural heritage. And they invented french freedom fries*.

*Unpatriotic words were changed.

Oh don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the French, other than the fact that they are French.

Parisians, on the other hand...

You might need to brush up on your French though :P
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: June 09, 2015, 03:16:43 pm »
+1

Here Tables, this puzzle is partially dedicated to you: http://sudgylacmoe.blogspot.com/2015/06/puzzle-44-boxing-match-3.html
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: June 09, 2015, 03:30:54 pm »
+5

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: June 09, 2015, 03:43:37 pm »
+1

You might need to brush up on your French though :P

I have become rather rusty. You just never speak french if you are not from/in a french-speaking Country. :-\

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: June 09, 2015, 04:45:47 pm »
+1

Here Tables, this puzzle is partially dedicated to you: http://sudgylacmoe.blogspot.com/2015/06/puzzle-44-boxing-match-3.html

Solved.

I've even coloured blue when I used this rule, and numbered the order I deduced things in (note that 2 only refers to part of the line below, it got finished off by box 9). The place it has to be used is box 8, since without the rule you could just extend box 2 and have box 8 as a square as a valid alternative solution

Edit: Just noticed I repeated a number. Not going to re-upload. Small box 5 came first, big box 5 should be 6 and so on
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 04:47:00 pm by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: June 09, 2015, 05:22:10 pm »

Solved.

I've even coloured blue when I used this rule, and numbered the order I deduced things in (note that 2 only refers to part of the line below, it got finished off by box 9). The place it has to be used is box 8, since without the rule you could just extend box 2 and have box 8 as a square as a valid alternative solution

Edit: Just noticed I repeated a number. Not going to re-upload. Small box 5 came first, big box 5 should be 6 and so on

Confused, where are the rules to this puzzle?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: June 09, 2015, 05:25:28 pm »
+2

Solved.

Confused, where are the rules to this puzzle?

http://sudgylacmoe.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/rules-boxing-match.html
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: June 09, 2015, 06:13:37 pm »

Solved.

When making it, I also used it on box 3.  I'm not sure how you figured that out without it...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4410 on: June 09, 2015, 10:24:44 pm »
+2

Although in HEP, there is this convention that says ħ and c equal 1. So distances, masses and time are regularly expressed in terms of energy. So much for dimensional analysis.
And in GR, c = G = 1 for similar reasons, although it's typical to put everything in terms of length.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: June 09, 2015, 10:36:55 pm »

I get the feeling that half of f.ds things I'm a moron; 99% of the other half things I'm an idiot.

The remainder (whatever that may be) just doesn't understand me, but might give me the benefit of the doubt.

f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: June 09, 2015, 10:44:07 pm »

I didn't mean "self-loathing" rudely -- I see a series of posts thrashing "American" things as the bane of his existence while simultaneously knowing he's "American."

I think the patriotism argument is silly, as using inches and feet isn't inherently American -- came from the Brits, right?

Aren't these two statements contradictory?

In any case, tying something as arbitrary as the temperature unit or the lane you drive on to your national identity seems reactionary. There is nothing inherently meaningful in these conventions.

I don't think so.

My point was that Witherweaver was bashing an "American" thing that he hates (Imperial units), but that Imperial units are actually British in origin.  This comes after he was pointedly bashing another "American" thing that he hates (punctuation within quotation marks), which was ALSO shown to not be American by definition.  So, he posts twice about how much he hates specifically American things, and neither of them are actually American.

For the second quote, I was responding the to accusation that I was being patriotic.  I was pointing out that I can't be patriotic about this if they aren't even American things.  There's zero patriotism involved in this discussion.

So, those two quotes, regardless of them being juxtaposed against each other, aren't about the same thing.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: June 09, 2015, 10:55:21 pm »

The metric system is ghastly, confusing, obtuse, and annoying.

I'm trying to figure out how metric is more ghastly, confusing, obtuse, and annoying than imperial.

Those terms are subjective, so I cannot fault someone for saying something is ghastly, but is the implication that it's more ghastly than imperial? If so, then how?

21.4mU/l
11.2pmol/l

Can someone equate this to numbers I understand?  Remember, this is SI, not Imperial.  I have no frame of reference for this -- so what if it's base 10?  Even if I know how many milliliters are in a liter, that doesn't help me at all.

Metric is no easier than imperial.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: June 09, 2015, 10:58:22 pm »
+2

In the sense that there is no good reason to be base 10-centric, metric isn't better than imperial. Some SI units are defined very conveniently though.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: June 09, 2015, 11:05:40 pm »
+2

My point was that Witherweaver was bashing an "American" thing that he hates (Imperial units), but that Imperial units are actually British in origin.  This comes after he was pointedly bashing another "American" thing that he hates (punctuation within quotation marks), which was ALSO shown to not be American by definition.  So, he posts twice about how much he hates specifically American things, and neither of them are actually American

I am pretty sure that Witherweaver wasn't bashing those conventions because he thought they were American, but because he genuinely dislikes them (for whatever reason that you disagree with). To be completely fair, you were the first one to bring nationalisms into the discussion.

For the second quote, I was responding the to accusation that I was being patriotic.  I was pointing out that I can't be patriotic about this if they aren't even American things.  There's zero patriotism involved in this discussion.

Fair enough. Why do you like the Imperial System then? What is so wrong with the metric system?

Please don't answer that the latter is confusing, because which one is more confusing only depends on how often one uses each.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: June 09, 2015, 11:39:44 pm »

I'm trying to figure out how metric is more ghastly, confusing, obtuse, and annoying than imperial.

Those terms are subjective, so I cannot fault someone for saying something is ghastly, but is the implication that it's more ghastly than imperial? If so, then how?

21.4mU/l
11.2pmol/l

Can someone equate this to numbers I understand?  Remember, this is SI, not Imperial.  I have no frame of reference for this -- so what if it's base 10?  Even if I know how many milliliters are in a liter, that doesn't help me at all.

It's easier to convert, and people born into measuring with metric units can envision them in that way. If you knew metric units when you were born in contrast to imperial, you'd hate imperial units. It has nothing to do with actual use and everything to do with what you are familiar with due to social constructs in the region you were born in.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: June 09, 2015, 11:51:06 pm »

21.4mU/l
11.2pmol/l

It's easier to convert, and people born into measuring with metric units can envision them in that way. If you knew metric units when you were born in contrast to imperial, you'd hate imperial units. It has nothing to do with actual use and everything to do with what you are familiar with due to social constructs in the region you were born in.

So you "know" how much each of those measurements is just by looking at them?

You made a nice statement, but ignored my example.

I'm also not sure what's "easier" to convert -- as you said, it's just what you are used to, right?  If duodecimal is something you are more familiar with, it'll be "easier" to convert than using the metric system.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: June 09, 2015, 11:54:00 pm »

To be completely fair, you were the first one to bring nationalisms into the discussion.

To be completely unfair, you mean?  Witherweaver called them "American" units, and also mentioned "growing up with them."  Here's the quote (bold is mine):

This makes me sad:  http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/05/opinions/marciano-america-go-metric/index.html

I readily admit that the decimal math of the metric system is easier, but not that it is in all ways better. The fact is that decimals are lousy at real-life division. Try cutting an orange or a pizza into five or ten slices. Two of the most basic fractions are the third and the quarter. A third and quarter of a foot are four and three inches; the same for a meter are 25cm and .33333-on-to-infinity cm.

They're also, you know, 1/4 and 1/3 meters.  Plus, how is four inches for a third of a foot in any way simpler than 25 cm for a quarter of a meter (or simply 0.25 m)?  Plus, 0.3~ (denoting repeating) cm is not a third of a meter, obviously. 

I think just the line "A third and quarter of a foot are four and three inches" should clue in anyone that these units are not very natural to use with base-10 numbers.

Think of trying to remember different units another way. Learning other languages isn't only a benefit in the international workplace, it makes you realize that there is more than one way to approach everything in this world. The same goes for learning two systems of measurement. It allows us to recognize that distance, weight, and volume can be measured and conceived of in more than one way. Those who have grown up with only the metric system find this an alien and unpleasant concept. But don't blame them -- they've only ever had to learn one system. In the 21st century, Americans have to learn two. That's an advantage that Lincoln Chafee should embrace.

This seems like an awfully contrived argument to me.  I'm not sure that the recognition that observables can be measured and conceived of in more than one way is lost by anyone that didn't grow up with American units.  However, a good deal of intuition is lost by not growing up with metric units, since our calculations (e.g., basic physics) are natural in metric, but we need to convert the numbers back to our units to picture in our head what the event would actually be like in life.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: June 09, 2015, 11:56:20 pm »

I'm also not sure what's "easier" to convert -- as you said, it's just what you are used to, right?  If duodecimal is something you are more familiar with, it'll be "easier" to convert than using the metric system.

It's what you're used to. Nothing else really matters. Metric systems are just 'easier' to memorize for youth.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 12:14:46 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: June 10, 2015, 12:19:43 am »
+1

To be completely fair, you were the first one to bring nationalisms into the discussion.

To be completely unfair, you mean?  Witherweaver called them "American" units, and also mentioned "growing up with them."  Here's the quote (bold is mine):

He called them American because that's where those units are used. That's very different from tying them to nationalisms.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: June 10, 2015, 12:25:13 am »
+3

Fair enough. Why do you like the Imperial System then? What is so wrong with the metric system?

I think the "difficulty" issue of measurement systems is moot -- the ability to learn a system is dependent on the learner, not the system itself.  If someone is better at dividing by 12 than by 10, that's not the system of measurement's fault.  It's the same as learning languages -- I think Japanese is insanely easy as a language to learn, but found Italian very difficult; many people would disagree with me on that.  But neither of us would be wrong, we just learn differently and/or are better at different things.

So I think any argument for either system of measurement that is based on "difficulty" is irrelevant.  It has nothing to do with the relative merits of the system, just the merits of the users.

So, when you remove the users from the equation, and try to appreciate each system in a vacuum, it becomes a subjective discussion about what any one person finds pleasing, right?

I think the Imperial System is much, much more regal, for example.  Metric feels very pedestrian and bland.  If measurement systems were ice cream, Imperial is chocolate and Metric is cardboard.  Imperial presents the more interesting set of vocabulary, with words that fit oddly in the mouth like "quart" and "pint" (which, by the way, is how we measure ice cream).  Only in the imperial can you see for leagues and leagues or lose yourself in the countless fathoms of the deep ocean.  In Imperial you can have a gill of water, a rood of forestland, or drachm of poison.

Really, if King Lear had been poisoned by a daughter, would you rather hear that she had slipped a drachm of poison in his wine, or that...

As the old king clutched his chest, he looked around and saw Goneril grinning maniacally...she had slipped 3.5516328125 ml of poison in his wine...

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: June 10, 2015, 12:26:06 am »

It's what you're used to. Nothing else really matters. Metric systems are just 'easier' to memorize for youth.

You cannot back that statement up with proof.  Has there been a scientific study that confirms one is easier to learn than the other?

Also, that doesn't matter at all, and has nothing to do with this argument.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: June 10, 2015, 12:27:52 am »

He called them American because that's where those units are used. That's very different from tying them to nationalisms.

But that's not what those units are, specifically.  He wasn't specifying that he meant the "United States customary units" of measurement, which vary slightly from true imperial.  He was clearly (to me) talking about the imperial versus metric.  Using the word "American," then, was a statement attempting to nationalize (incorrectly) something he feels is inferior.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: June 10, 2015, 12:34:46 am »

Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.