Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226079 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #4375 on: June 09, 2015, 07:15:26 am »

So, what's the Mac keyboard command for, say, starting up Opera?

I don't think you can open an app with a keyboard command on a Mac without personally creating the shortcut.

If there are keyboard commands on my windows machine to open applications, I don't know any.

(By keyboad commands, I assume we are talking about a single-press combination to make something happen, such as CTRL-C for copy.  There is no CMD-O for Opera.  If there's a CTRL+C+H to open Chrome on Windows, someone please tell me.)

Windows key + number key opens the program pinned to your taskbar in the position indicated by the number. If the program is already open, it becomes active.

What do I hit to open an application that isn't pinned or open?

You can hit Windows key + R and type in the application.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: June 09, 2015, 09:08:11 am »

Oh look, witherweaver is complaining about another standard that is dominantly used in the United States (although it's definitely not American in origin).

Anyone surprised?  Anyone?

Care to add anything else to the self-loathing list?  Do you insist in saying petrol instead of gas(oline)?  Do you take the lift instead of the elevator?  Perhaps you'd prefer to drive on the left side of the road?

Also, for the record, I live in a metric country that drives on the left.  The temperature is also measured in Celsius.  I've survived just fine, even though I grew up with inches, miles, and Fahrenheit.

I loathe the metric system and for all it stands.  It's a perfect emblem for all that is wrong in this world.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not someone who likes to troll people. I really like arguing farily. But this post is just utterly ridiculous, and i admit that i had to laugh out audibly in the office.

The last sentence is especially nice. It basically implies that any part of the world but america is the wrong part of the world. A more absurd self-parody of patriotism is hardly possible.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: June 09, 2015, 09:11:51 am »
+2

Oh look, witherweaver is complaining about another standard that is dominantly used in the United States (although it's definitely not American in origin).

Anyone surprised?  Anyone?

Care to add anything else to the self-loathing list?  Do you insist in saying petrol instead of gas(oline)?  Do you take the lift instead of the elevator?  Perhaps you'd prefer to drive on the left side of the road?

Also, for the record, I live in a metric country that drives on the left.  The temperature is also measured in Celsius.  I've survived just fine, even though I grew up with inches, miles, and Fahrenheit.

I loathe the metric system and for all it stands.  It's a perfect emblem for all that is wrong in this world.

Are you really going to argue this?  I suppose you like using slugs instead of kilograms, too.  Maybe in a world where you never need to do computations involving anything, your system of measurement doesn't matter.  But it's silly---and extremely inconvenient---to have numbers expressed in base 10 but units not based off of 10. 

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: June 09, 2015, 09:30:12 am »
+2

I didn't mean "self-loathing" rudely -- I see a series of posts thrashing "American" things as the bane of his existence while simultaneously knowing he's "American."

I think the patriotism argument is silly, as using inches and feet isn't inherently American -- came from the Brits, right?

Aren't these two statements contradictory?

In any case, tying something as arbitrary as the temperature unit or the lane you drive on to your national identity seems reactionary. There is nothing inherently meaningful in these conventions.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #4379 on: June 09, 2015, 09:46:31 am »
+1

I prefer my fuel prices in gallons. Anytime I'm buying liters, it costs significantly more.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4380 on: June 09, 2015, 09:53:27 am »
+1

So, what's the Mac keyboard command for, say, starting up Opera?

I don't think you can open an app with a keyboard command on a Mac without personally creating the shortcut.

If there are keyboard commands on my windows machine to open applications, I don't know any.

(By keyboad commands, I assume we are talking about a single-press combination to make something happen, such as CTRL-C for copy.  There is no CMD-O for Opera.  If there's a CTRL+C+H to open Chrome on Windows, someone please tell me.)

Windows key + number key opens the program pinned to your taskbar in the position indicated by the number. If the program is already open, it becomes active.

What do I hit to open an application that isn't pinned or open?

You can hit Windows key + R and type in the application.

You can do that on Mac. Command-Spacebar, then type the name of the application.

Keyboard shortcuts are plentiful on Mac.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: June 09, 2015, 10:22:09 am »

I didn't mean "self-loathing" rudely -- I see a series of posts thrashing "American" things as the bane of his existence while simultaneously knowing he's "American."

If that isn't self-loathing, my bad on word choice.

I think the patriotism argument is silly, as using inches and feet isn't inherently American -- came from the Brits, right?

The metric system is ghastly, confusing, obtuse, and annoying.

Lol, what?

Milli. Latin for 1000. There are 10 mm in a cm.

Centi. Latin for 100. There are 10 cm in a m.

Kilo is Greek for 1000. And it's literally 100 Meters in a Kilometer, even though they switch from Latin to Greek. Totally logical.

And a Kilometer is equal to 4.59×107 Planck masses. How could you not know this, you degenerate!?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:23:22 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: June 09, 2015, 10:51:39 am »

Equating Kilometers and masses is the kind of confusion inherent in the Imperial system, not metric/SI.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: June 09, 2015, 10:58:28 am »
+3

Lol, what?

Kilo is Greek for 1000. And it's literally 100 Meters in a Kilometer, even though they switch from Latin to Greek. Totally logical.

And a Kilometer is equal to 4.59×107 Planck masses. How could you not know this, you degenerate!?
LOL, WHAT?

Milli. Latin for 1000. There are 1000 mm in a m.  Hence the "milli".

Centi. Latin for 100. There are 100 cm in a m. (Fixed that outright mathematical error for you.)  Hence the "centi". (The thing there are 10 of in a meter is a decimeter, from the latin for 10.  A liter of volume is a cubic decimeter.)

Kilo is Greek for 1000. And it's literally NOT 100 Meters in a Kilometer, it's 1000.

And a Kilometer is equal to 4.59×107 Planck masses. How could you not know this, you degenerate!?  Kilometer is a unit of measure that describes length, which is not the same as mass. A Planck length can be described in meters, and there for kilometers, but a Planck mass cannot be equated with any number of meters or kilometers (it would convert, in SI units, to a number of kilograms).

Your post definitely made a point very well.  Though probably not the point you envisioned.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 11:08:07 am by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: June 09, 2015, 11:04:34 am »

He meant 1 kg = 4.59*10^7 Planck mass units.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: June 09, 2015, 11:15:51 am »
+1

Although in HEP, there is this convention that says ħ and c equal 1. So distances, masses and time are regularly expressed in terms of energy. So much for dimensional analysis.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: June 09, 2015, 11:17:38 am »

Lol, what?

LOL, WHAT?

Milli. Latin for 1000. There are 1000 mm in a m.  Hence the "milli".

Centi. Latin for 100. There are 100 cm in a m. (Fixed that outright mathematical error for you.)  Hence the "centi". (The thing there are 10 of in a meter is a decimeter, from the latin for 10.  A liter of volume is a cubic decimeter.)

Kilo is Greek for 1000. And it's literally NOT 100 Meters in a Kilometer, it's 1000.

And a Kilometer is equal to 4.59×107 Planck masses. How could you not know this, you degenerate!?  Kilometer is a unit of measure that describes length, which is not the same as mass. A Planck length can be described in meters, and there for kilometers, but a Planck mass cannot be equated with any number of meters or kilometers (it would convert, in SI units, to a number of kilograms).

Your post definitely made a point very well.  Though probably not the point you envisioned.

I don't think you got the same point I was trying to make. :p
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: June 09, 2015, 11:18:17 am »
+3

I think seprix was trying to troll ash with his post and deliberately put errors in it.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: June 09, 2015, 11:19:19 am »
+2

I think seprix was trying to troll ash with his post and deliberately put errors in it.

If you want to explain the joke-

OH WAIT THIS IS F.DS

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 11:25:07 am by Seprix »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: June 09, 2015, 11:35:33 am »

Planck units aren't SI though; they're a rescaling based on the size of certain physical constants. (It normalizes them to one.). More convenient in certain cases, but you wouldn't use them in most day-to-day measurements.  "Is that interesection 1*10^35 Planck lengths way or 1.0000......1*10^35 Planck lengths away?"

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: June 09, 2015, 11:45:41 am »

I have no idea how to react to this.  I have to assume you're not a moron.  Are you just trolling?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: June 09, 2015, 11:45:46 am »

He meant 1 kg = 4.59*10^7 Planck mass units.
That could be, and makes me wonder if he was being arch, given that NOTHING in the post was accurate.

I submit that if he doesn't understand the difference between length and mass, or simply can't distinguish between the words kilogram and kilometer, then his problem is not with the metric system.  Further, if he doesn't actually understand the fundamental relationships between units and their subunits, he is not qualified to pass judgement on how good or bad the metric system is.

Edit:  I've now read the newest posts, and I get he was trolling.  Sorry Seprix, I should have known better, given your posting history, and the quality of your arguments heretofore, on a variety of subjects.

Perhaps I am still reacting to the following from yesterday.  I'm doing some part-time bartending, and my boss, while consulting with a potential client on renting one of our facilities for a wedding, yells from across the room "how many glasses of champagne can we get from a bottle?"  I literally laughed out loud, and said "I suspect that depends on the size of the glasses you are using".
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 11:51:57 am by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: June 09, 2015, 11:47:51 am »

It's not so much that the length of a foot and a meter are different.  You need some length, so fine.  It's that there aren't 10 inches in a foot---why on earth (or any other planet) not?  "A third of a foot is four inches and a fourth of a foot is three inches" provides some nice insight into twelveness but is indicative of why this standard is weird.  If we uses a base-12 number system, fine.  But we don't.  So why make things intentionally more difficult?

Notably, metric isn't perfect---hours are bad units if you take seconds to be standard.  Or, seconds are bad if you're thinking of dividing  day.

The other point is that Imperial units contain inherent  confusion in types of quantities, specifically mass and force. 

Also, that we have these other units (like Planck units or eV's) shows that the argument that switching to metric would somehow make us miss out on the recognition of perspective has no merit.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: June 09, 2015, 12:22:37 pm »
+2

I'm not sure ash is a moron, I feel more like I don't get his logic/reasoning.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: June 09, 2015, 12:22:54 pm »

I'm trying to figure out how metric is more ghastly, confusing, obtuse, and annoying than imperial.

Those terms are subjective, so I cannot fault someone for saying something is ghastly, but is the implication that it's more ghastly than imperial? If so, then how?
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4395 on: June 09, 2015, 12:25:51 pm »
+4

I have no idea how to react to this.  I have to assume you're not a moron.  Are you just trolling?

I propose a new "Ash" unit, which is a standardization of the number of inflammatory comments that are contained in a given post.  A representative (pick one for standardization) post from Ashersky defines one Ash.  Your average f.ds post is closer to 0 Ash's than 1 Ash.  The gunpowder thread was clocking around 20 Ash's at one point.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: June 09, 2015, 12:31:27 pm »
+4

I propose a new "Ash" unit, which is a standardization of the number of inflammatory comments that are contained in a given post.  A representative (pick one for standardization) post from Ashersky defines one Ash.  Your average f.ds post is closer to 0 Ash's than 1 Ash.  The gunpowder thread was clocking around 20 Ash's at one point.

"Ashes", not "Ash's".

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: June 09, 2015, 12:31:48 pm »
+3

If that isn't self-loathing, my bad on word choice.

As pacovf pointed out, it's contradictory to call Witherweaver a self-loathing American and then say it's not about patriotism.

What is confusing or obtuse about metric?  Pretty much the whole world uses it, and you apparently get along fine living in that world outside the USA.  The prefixes are all easy to understand.  The only thing annoying really is that you're not used to it, which isn't an issue with metric itself.

To put it in Creative Writing terms, this is like saying that non-English languages are an emblem of all that is wrong in the world because you don't understand them.  It's actually worse than that because metric is an international standard with logical roots, unlike language.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: June 09, 2015, 01:05:56 pm »
+1

The best argument against the metric system I ever heard was that it was invented by the French.

I admit that's nearly enough to make me want to switch to anything else. :P

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: June 09, 2015, 01:16:09 pm »
+3

The best argument against the metric system I ever heard was that it was invented by the French.

I admit that's nearly enough to make me want to switch to anything else. :P

Even better/worse, it's instrinsically linked to the French Revolution. Everyone using the metric system has blood on their hands !
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 230  All

Page created in 2.271 seconds with 21 queries.