Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226873 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #4350 on: June 08, 2015, 12:11:22 pm »

Well, it's not an advantage at all. I've had to memorize one transition point, where 2.54 cm is an inch. From there, I can figure out any measurement in either category, but it's pretty annoying.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: June 08, 2015, 12:15:59 pm »
+4

This makes me sad:  http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/05/opinions/marciano-america-go-metric/index.html

I readily admit that the decimal math of the metric system is easier, but not that it is in all ways better. The fact is that decimals are lousy at real-life division. Try cutting an orange or a pizza into five or ten slices. Two of the most basic fractions are the third and the quarter. A third and quarter of a foot are four and three inches; the same for a meter are 25cm and .33333-on-to-infinity cm.

They're also, you know, 1/4 and 1/3 meters.  Plus, how is four inches for a third of a foot in any way simpler than 25 cm for a quarter of a meter (or simply 0.25 m)?  Plus, 0.3~ (denoting repeating) cm is not a third of a meter, obviously. 

I think just the line "A third and quarter of a foot are four and three inches" should clue in anyone that these units are not very natural to use with base-10 numbers.

Think of trying to remember different units another way. Learning other languages isn't only a benefit in the international workplace, it makes you realize that there is more than one way to approach everything in this world. The same goes for learning two systems of measurement. It allows us to recognize that distance, weight, and volume can be measured and conceived of in more than one way. Those who have grown up with only the metric system find this an alien and unpleasant concept. But don't blame them -- they've only ever had to learn one system. In the 21st century, Americans have to learn two. That's an advantage that Lincoln Chafee should embrace.

This seems like an awfully contrived argument to me.  I'm not sure that the recognition that observables can be measured and conceived of in more than one way is lost by anyone that didn't grow up with American units.  However, a good deal of intuition is lost by not growing up with metric units, since our calculations (e.g., basic physics) are natural in metric, but we need to convert the numbers back to our units to picture in our head what the event would actually be like in life.

People are idiots, and have difficulty changing how they do things; film at 11.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: June 08, 2015, 12:19:41 pm »

That writer is a moron.

We should embrace our differences? Okay, yeah, that's fine when you're talking about preserving Indian culture or celebrating Oktoberfest, but standing out is a bad thing when moving something across multiple platforms. If you hire a Japanese engineering firm, then you want to make sure that both of you are on the same page. Being different is not good in this case; it makes you look ridiculous. I remember Adobe Acrobat v3 (or maybe v4) tried something different. I was editing a bookmark and used Ctrl plus the left and right arrow to navigate across words. After all, this is standard in anything Microsoft and many things not Microsoft. But Adobe just had to be different and have that key combination do something else. It wasn't clever. It wasn't good to be different. It just pissed me off because something I did out of habit was ruining my productivity.

If the world uses the same standard, then business and science can flow seamlessly across nations. So which standard should we convert to? As the author admits, metric is easier. The fraction part is dumb, though.
A man has no signature

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: June 08, 2015, 01:16:19 pm »

Learning other languages isn't only a benefit in the international workplace, it makes you realize that there is more than one way to approach everything in this world. The same goes for learning two systems of measurement.

I don't know. I think this particular point isn't exactly bad. Being aware that some words we use are just abstract ways to describe something and are not necessarily the thing per se may actually be beneficial. I believe it may be particularly helpful for learning math in higher classes and accepting the concept that things are often matters of definition.

Not saying the point's good enough to validate the opinion, but i don't think every point made is worthless.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: June 08, 2015, 01:20:17 pm »

I like using keyboard commands. I have a Mac. The Command key is right next to the spacebar, so you can simply press it unawkwardly with your thumb and not slow down. Every time I use a Windows computer, I always forget the command key is waaaaaay out there, and I press the Alt key next to the spacebar instead.

I know, first world problems, right?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: June 08, 2015, 01:35:46 pm »
+2

Learning other languages isn't only a benefit in the international workplace, it makes you realize that there is more than one way to approach everything in this world. The same goes for learning two systems of measurement.

I don't know. I think this particular point isn't exactly bad. Being aware that some words we use are just abstract ways to describe something and are not necessarily the thing per se may actually be beneficial. I believe it may be particularly helpful for learning math in higher classes and accepting the concept that things are often matters of definition.

Not saying the point's good enough to validate the opinion, but i don't think every point made is worthless.

It's not like the fundamental idea is bad that learning about different ways to view/describe things has benefits, but I'm not so convinced that this lesson would be lost if we didn't have these units.  Even so, it's a pretty forced point.. if it were really a significant benefit, then why use standardized units at all?

Edit: What I mean is it's kind of like someone asked "what possible reasons can I come up with that not changing to metric is good?" and then really scraped the bottom of the barrel to come up with arguments.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: June 08, 2015, 01:38:56 pm »
+1

It's not like the fundamental idea is bad that learning about different ways to view/describe things has benefits, but I'm not so convinced that this lesson would be lost if we didn't have these units.  Even so, it's a pretty forced point.. if it were really a significant benefit, then why use standardized units at all?

Edit: What I mean is it's kind of like someone asked "what possible reasons can I come up with that not changing to metric is good?" and then really scraped the bottom of the barrel to come up with arguments.

Every discipline should have its own system of measurement.  How else would we emphasize the particular approach to life taken by physics, chemistry or biology?  And when you get into higher level specialization within those fields, well, that's when units get really interesting...

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: June 08, 2015, 01:56:36 pm »
+1

Every discipline should have its own system of measurement.  How else would we emphasize the particular approach to life taken by physics, chemistry or biology?  And when you get into higher level specialization within those fields, well, that's when units get really interesting...

This sounds like satire... but that's exactly how things work right now. So I am confused.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: June 08, 2015, 02:02:27 pm »

It is?  I thought we all used metric/SI, even including American scientists.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: June 08, 2015, 02:20:05 pm »
+3

pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: June 08, 2015, 03:22:54 pm »
+1

Have an example.

Mostly still metric though, right? We might define units like eV that are handier, but they all still use SI prefixes and such.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: June 08, 2015, 03:26:18 pm »

Have an example.

Mostly still metric though, right? We might define units like eV that are handier, but they all still use SI prefixes and such.

Yes, of course, any other way (greater) madness lies.

EDIT: although then some bright mind comes up with the kWh/y, and you just have to weep.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:53:46 am by pacovf »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4362 on: June 08, 2015, 04:30:51 pm »
+4

I like using keyboard commands. I have a Mac.

There's your problem.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4363 on: June 08, 2015, 11:23:36 pm »
+1

In other news, I subscribed to ClickHole's YouTube channel a while ago. Now YouTube thinks that BuzzFeed's channel is recommended for me.  :-\
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: June 09, 2015, 12:26:08 am »

There's your problem.

Mac > Windows

Let WWIII begin.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #4365 on: June 09, 2015, 12:50:41 am »

Oh look, witherweaver is complaining about another standard that is dominantly used in the United States (although it's definitely not American in origin).

Anyone surprised?  Anyone?

Care to add anything else to the self-loathing list?  Do you insist in saying petrol instead of gas(oline)?  Do you take the lift instead of the elevator?  Perhaps you'd prefer to drive on the left side of the road?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4366 on: June 09, 2015, 12:57:56 am »
+2

There's your problem.

Mac > Windows

Let WWIII begin.

Macs are designed to be computers that you can just purchase without having to think too hard, and then you can just boot them and they'll work just fine with the default settings and you can immediately start using it without having to worry about finding your way around the OS. A Mac is definitely a fine choice if that's what you're looking for. As a result however, some stuff for more advanced users (like keyboard commands  ::)) is somewhat neglected in Macs.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: June 09, 2015, 12:58:38 am »

Oh look, witherweaver is complaining about another standard that is dominantly used in the United States (although it's definitely not American in origin).

Care to add anything else to the self-loathing list?  Do you insist in saying petrol instead of gas(oline)?  Do you take the lift instead of the elevator?  Perhaps you'd prefer to drive on the left side of the road?

Also, for the record, I live in a metric country that drives on the left.  The temperature is also measured in Celsius.  I've survived just fine, even though I grew up with inches, miles, and Fahrenheit.

I loathe the metric system and for all it stands.  It's a perfect emblem for all that is wrong in this world.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: June 09, 2015, 12:59:24 am »
+1

There's your problem.

Mac > Windows

Let WWIII begin.

Macs are designed to be computers that you can just purchase without having to think too hard, and then you can just boot them and they'll work just fine with the default settings and you can immediately start using it without having to worry about finding your way around the OS. A Mac is definitely a fine choice if that's what you're looking for. As a result however, some stuff for more advanced users (like keyboard commands  ::)) is somewhat neglected in Macs.

I've been using keyboard commands forever on Mac computers.  Could it be that Windows users just never learned them on Macs (and vice versa)?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4369 on: June 09, 2015, 01:06:48 am »

There's your problem.

Mac > Windows

Let WWIII begin.

I've been using keyboard commands forever on Mac computers.  Could it be that Windows users just never learned them on Macs (and vice versa)?

So, what's the Mac keyboard command for, say, starting up Opera?

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: June 09, 2015, 01:14:38 am »

I don't think you can open an app with a keyboard command on a Mac without personally creating the shortcut.

If there are keyboard commands on my windows machine to open applications, I don't know any.

(By keyboad commands, I assume we are talking about a single-press combination to make something happen, such as CTRL-C for copy.  There is no CMD-O for Opera.  If there's a CTRL+C+H to open Chrome on Windows, someone please tell me.)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4371 on: June 09, 2015, 01:20:32 am »
+2

I don't think you can open an app with a keyboard command on a Mac without personally creating the shortcut.

If there are keyboard commands on my windows machine to open applications, I don't know any.

(By keyboad commands, I assume we are talking about a single-press combination to make something happen, such as CTRL-C for copy.  There is no CMD-O for Opera.  If there's a CTRL+C+H to open Chrome on Windows, someone please tell me.)

Windows key + number key opens the program pinned to your taskbar in the position indicated by the number. If the program is already open, it becomes active.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: June 09, 2015, 01:34:52 am »

Windows key + number key opens the program pinned to your taskbar in the position indicated by the number. If the program is already open, it becomes active.

What do I hit to open an application that isn't pinned or open?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: June 09, 2015, 03:10:14 am »
+4

Also, for the record, I live in a metric country that drives on the left.  The temperature is also measured in Celsius.  I've survived just fine, even though I grew up with inches, miles, and Fahrenheit.

I loathe the metric system and for all it stands.  It's a perfect emblem for all that is wrong in this world.

Not sure how you meant it, but labelling Witherweaver as "self-loathing" seems both unfounded and incredibly rude.

Saying "metric country with Celcius" pretty much just means "not America".

I can't quite tell if you are aggressively patriotic to the point where America can do no wrong in your eyes, dead set on following traditions just because you're used to it, trolling, joking or merely exaggerating because why not.  What reason could you possibly have for *loathing* the metric system?  How is it reasonable at all to describe it as "a perfect emblem for all that is wrong in this world"?

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: June 09, 2015, 04:02:07 am »

I didn't mean "self-loathing" rudely -- I see a series of posts thrashing "American" things as the bane of his existence while simultaneously knowing he's "American."

If that isn't self-loathing, my bad on word choice.

I think the patriotism argument is silly, as using inches and feet isn't inherently American -- came from the Brits, right?

The metric system is ghastly, confusing, obtuse, and annoying.

Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 230  All

Page created in 2.545 seconds with 21 queries.