Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226581 times)

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #3850 on: April 25, 2015, 11:31:01 am »
+1

My friend is a musical genius. I wish I could take credit for this:

My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: April 26, 2015, 09:47:13 pm »
+4

I hate group work  >:(.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: April 26, 2015, 09:55:16 pm »
+2

Me too, but look on the bright side, it's not as bad as groupthink.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 09:56:49 pm by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: April 27, 2015, 12:01:08 am »
+1

So yesterday I auditioned for Assassins. I did not receive a callback for next Saturday. This bums me out, but I'm holding out hope. A callback means that he is choosing from multiple candidates. Still, this is a fairly popular director, so I can't imagine that there's not competition for the roles I wanted.

I'll just keep my next 2 months open and be pleasantly surprised if he calls me with a role next week. I just wish I didn't have to wait a week.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: April 27, 2015, 09:32:01 am »

So yesterday I auditioned for Assassins. I did not receive a callback for next Saturday. This bums me out, but I'm holding out hope. A callback means that he is choosing from multiple candidates. Still, this is a fairly popular director, so I can't imagine that there's not competition for the roles I wanted.

I'll just keep my next 2 months open and be pleasantly surprised if he calls me with a role next week. I just wish I didn't have to wait a week.

Did you audition for Sylvester Stallone's part or for Antonio Banderas'?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3855 on: April 27, 2015, 12:06:03 pm »
+6

More of this stuff needs to happen. It'd really brighten the mood of commuters.

A man has no signature

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1185
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: April 27, 2015, 10:17:47 pm »
+1

I had like a group test in English today, and half of my group was just browsing facebook on their phones the whole time.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: April 27, 2015, 10:29:14 pm »
+2

I had like a group test in English today, and half of my group was just browsing facebook on their phones the whole time.

This sounds like one of the worst ideas in education ever.

I don't like group projects, but at least they (can) teach the important skill of working effectively in a group of different personalities. A group test sounds...like it would have made me more popular. But not in the way you want. :P
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: April 28, 2015, 12:24:11 am »
+1

Group work is bullshit. I got unlucky and landed two lazy girls who sat around and did nothing while I worked hard on a deadline timed project, and I ended up getting it all done. I hate reporting people, but I made an exception that time.

I've also done two group video projects by myself. I guess I'm just not a likable guy.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 12:25:15 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #3859 on: April 28, 2015, 12:33:44 am »

I remember writing a group presentation and setting up the demonstration model, but spoke the least when actually giving the presentation so I got the lowest grade.

Fluid Dynamics, if I remember correctly. I think it was on a comparison of heart valve implants.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: April 28, 2015, 12:43:59 am »
+2

Handling your group members is also part of the group work.

Of course, people in a certain age range are particularly hard to handle.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: April 28, 2015, 01:17:37 am »
+4

In theory, giving students work to do in groups is great.  In practice, it can be really tough to do it in a way that's fair.  I imagine most people on f.ds were/are generally really great, smart, hardworking students, and we've probably all had the frustrating experiences that come with that.  You get stuck in a group with people who just don't or can't work at your level, and "group project" just ends up meaning a mega-project, that you still do by yourself, and to make matters worse, they often still get equal credit for all of your work.

Managing your team is part of it, but there's only so much you can do.  I had a project I did last year, where I was the only one making any effort to do anything.  I would email, text, facebook message my partners, and get no response.  When we agreed upon a date and time to meet and work together on it (which was literally on the day it was due), I was the only one who showed up.  No responses when I tried to communicate with them in any way.  So I finally just sent an email to the professor the night it was due, saying "here's what I did, I've done everything I can and my partners aren't cooperating".

Anyway, it all ended up working out okay, because the professor was very reasonable, and gave us an extension.  I got an A, I don't know if my partners got the same grade or not, part of me hopes they didn't.  I think we had one of those things where, you get a certain amount of "points" to distribute among your partners after the project, to say how productive they were.  I really like those, that's the best way to do group projects.  It makes it so not everyone can just give each other 10/10, you actually have to compare them against each other.

So yeah, I think group work is fine if it's done reasonably.  That particular project was stressful for me, but it worked out okay because the professor was reasonable and gave everyone (I hope) the grades they deserved.  What I hate is how often that same situation occurs, and everyone in the group gets a grade that reflects the average of the work put in by all members.  Like, if I did A-level work and my partners did D-level work, so we all get C's.  That's the worst.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3862 on: April 28, 2015, 05:03:40 am »
+1

I hated group work in primary school/junior high school. Not because I had to do everything, but because usually some others in the group were doing more work than necessary and getting mad at me for not doing the same. In university prep high school, group work was usually pretty good because the atmosphere was super laid back, most others in the school shared my vision of how much work should be put into a project, and classes where we did group work were an excellent opportunity to play more Magic.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: April 28, 2015, 08:35:07 am »
+4

I never assigned group work unless it was being done during class time, when I could assess what was happening in each group and, as necessary, redirect attention. Group work out of class was just asking for trouble.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: April 28, 2015, 08:39:55 am »
+1

Group work being bad is actually a great example of why communism can't work.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: April 28, 2015, 09:19:22 am »

*downvote*

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: April 28, 2015, 09:28:03 am »
+5

Communism is a great example of why communism can't work.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: April 28, 2015, 09:47:07 am »

Communism is a great example of why communism can't work.

Communism can't work.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: April 28, 2015, 09:59:03 am »
+6

Communism is just a red herring.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: April 28, 2015, 10:04:25 am »
+2

*downvote*

But it's true. Communism is a great idea. It's so efficient. Everyone does what he can and only takes what he needs. It would be the most well-oiled machine in the world.

It'd be great if it weren't for the people. In general, people aren't so keen on doing what they can and taking only what they need. We like taking the easy route, and what's easier than taking what you need while your neighbor does enough work for you? Then the neighbor takes offense that you're not pulling your weight, and shit falls apart. And then there's just the fact that the leaders feel they are entitled to extra goodies so they take them. Corruption abounds.

People suck, and that's why communism fails.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3870 on: April 28, 2015, 10:07:10 am »
+11

Communism leads to extra Unhappiness, but those bonus Civil and Military actions can really be worth it.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: April 28, 2015, 10:16:52 am »
+1

*downvote*

But it's true. Communism is a great idea. It's so efficient. Everyone does what he can and only takes what he needs. It would be the most well-oiled machine in the world.

It'd be great if it weren't for the people. In general, people aren't so keen on doing what they can and taking only what they need. We like taking the easy route, and what's easier than taking what you need while your neighbor does enough work for you? Then the neighbor takes offense that you're not pulling your weight, and shit falls apart. And then there's just the fact that the leaders feel they are entitled to extra goodies so they take them. Corruption abounds.

If men were angels, no government would be necessary.  If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.

James Madison, Federalist #51

There was more to the quote, but you get what I'm saying.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: April 28, 2015, 10:21:00 am »
+1

Oh hey, look, two humorous posts wasn't enough, dammit.

<------  RPS is over there.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: April 28, 2015, 10:25:02 am »
+1

This may be the longest that one of my treasure chests survived.

I take toilet paper rolls and stuff them with treats. Then I put them somewhere so the rats have to work to get at them. Usually it's impossible to hang it somewhere that isn't easily accessible, but I currently have a big open space in a quadrant, so I hung this up just out of reach. It was fun watching the rats try to get at them.

If anyone has suggestions on how to make it more difficult (not lethal, you jerks!), I'd like to hear them. I mostly just recycle things. I've spent $200 on the cage, so I don't have a lot to spend on elaborate toys. And well, rats are pretty happy with cardboard. It's made me rethink my garbage before I throw things away. When I get enough boxes stored up, I make a little rat city where I clip them together and cut holes so that there's a little maze.

And I'm amused by the anti-shake technology and my improperly sized video. I could go back and size it correctly, but the bouncing black bars give me a chuckle.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: April 28, 2015, 10:27:08 am »

*downvote*

Sounds like a pretty tremendous flaw if you're trying to design a system under which people can operate.  It's kind of like saying that building a house in the ocean is a great idea, if it wasn't for all the water.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 230  All

Page created in 1.781 seconds with 21 queries.