Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226571 times)

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #3775 on: April 20, 2015, 12:11:49 am »
+1

I think the only honorable way to handle a disconnect in the Dominion Leauge is to get out your cards IRL, recreate the gamestate, and play it out.

(I wanted to post this in the League thread, but decided to keep my jokes out of their serious discussion thread.  This was the first place to post it that came to my mind.)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: April 20, 2015, 08:31:33 am »

Mwahaha. Another party down, another unsuspecting fool who can no longer say he's never seen Shock Treatment.
I can't tell if this is worse than tricking people into watching The Room

I've not yet seen The Room so I cannot judge which movie is worse, but at least some of the songs in Shock Treatment are a little catchy.

What I noticed for the first time is that even the dialogue rhymed. I didn't focus so heavily on the dialogue to see if this happens throughout the entire film, but I had the CC on, and I realized that many of the spoken lines rhymed. It wasn't overly blatant like AABBCC; it was more like ABCADEFGF. It was there—at least for part of the movie—but you had to pay attention. I would study it in greater detail, but that would mean putting the movie back into the player, and I think I've fulfilled the once-a-decade quota already.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: April 20, 2015, 08:38:00 am »

I got a quick question about how to use the ' symbol properly in English grammar. If something belongs to someone, do I say, e.g, "Donald's game," "Donalds game," or is both correct? Also, if the name ends with an s, is it "Hans property," "Hans' property," or "Hans's property?"

As already said, apostrophe is used for possessive (except its because English is dumb). Most style guides I read do suggest an apostrophe-S on names ending in S, so Hans's would be correct. In general, many people will accept Hans'. As stated, consistency is key. While I may wrinkle my nose at an instance of Hans', it's nothing compared to my mini-rage at seeing it written as Hans's later.

Personally, I prefer adding the apostrophe-S. It is consistent with all your other possessives, after all. But then this is the language of exceptions, so saying that you should add apostrophe-S except for names ending with S is no less weird than I before E except for after C and other arbitrary reasons.
A man has no signature

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: April 20, 2015, 09:53:36 am »

I know of Shock Treatment thanks to the Cinema Snob.. The REAL reason to watch League of Super Critics.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: April 20, 2015, 10:02:00 am »

except its because English is dumb

"Its" is either a possessive determiner/article or a possessive pronoun. It makes as much sense to write "it's head" when used that way as it would to write "I's head" or "she's head" (if your argument is that it should work that way, then you are self consistent, but I'd rather not have to relearn this).

Small addendum to the possessive "'s" discussion: for plural words ending in s, just write the apostrophe. For example, "my parents' house".

And since we are doing this, the oatmeal has us covered.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #3780 on: April 20, 2015, 10:04:39 am »
+1

I kind of wish the bottom text would have been:

"Lastly, when in doubt, dont use an apostrophe."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: April 20, 2015, 10:10:20 am »

I think the only honorable way to handle a disconnect in the Dominion Leauge is to get out your cards IRL, recreate the gamestate, and play it out.

(I wanted to post this in the League thread, but decided to keep my jokes out of their serious discussion thread.  This was the first place to post it that came to my mind.)

I think the auxiliary game should be Rock-Paper-Scissors.  You can play some number of games with required wins for each player to match the perceived winning probabilities at the point of disconnect.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: April 20, 2015, 10:23:35 am »

I've not yet seen The Room so I cannot judge which movie is worse, but at least some of the songs in Shock Treatment are a little catchy.

Instead of songs, The Room just has about half a dozen terrible sex scenes.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: April 20, 2015, 11:10:59 am »

Instead of songs, The Room just has about half a dozen hilarious sex scenes.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: April 20, 2015, 01:27:18 pm »
+6

I got a quick question about how to use the ' symbol properly in English grammar. If something belongs to someone, do I say, e.g, "Donald's game," "Donalds game," or is both correct? Also, if the name ends with an s, is it "Hans property," "Hans' property," or "Hans's property?"

As already said, apostrophe is used for possessive (except its because English is dumb). Most style guides I read do suggest an apostrophe-S on names ending in S, so Hans's would be correct. In general, many people will accept Hans'. As stated, consistency is key. While I may wrinkle my nose at an instance of Hans', it's nothing compared to my mini-rage at seeing it written as Hans's later.

Personally, I prefer adding the apostrophe-S. It is consistent with all your other possessives, after all. But then this is the language of exceptions, so saying that you should add apostrophe-S except for names ending with S is no less weird than I before E except for after C and other arbitrary reasons.
Apostrophes represent missing letters. "Can't" used to be "ca'n't" - two missing letters!

The apostrophe for possessives also represents a missing letter! That long-lost letter is an "e." In the murky past, it was "Donaldes game."

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: April 20, 2015, 01:44:18 pm »

Keeping up with the Joneses, who have a neighbor who stole the Jonseses car.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: April 20, 2015, 01:45:44 pm »

Apostrophes represent missing letters. "Can't" used to be "ca'n't" - two missing letters!

The apostrophe for possessives also represents a missing letter! That long-lost letter is an "e." In the murky past, it was "Donaldes game."

What if your name was Donalde?

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: April 20, 2015, 01:54:48 pm »

What if your name was Donalde?
Then the spelling would be a wee bit different.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: April 20, 2015, 02:25:29 pm »
+4

I decided it would be funny to make a tiny little song and try out auto-tune, and I decided to try Adam's signature 'Screw this Game' video. I didn't do too hot, but the end result was funny enough (for me at least) to at least publish this. I do like the ending bit, where I actually got Adam to do the whole 'Auto-tune' thing to perfection. And that image you see is there because I wanted to make a picture with this song, and well, it looks cool enough. Might as well.

On an unrelated note, I have a lot to learn on how to auto-tune people.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 02:26:33 pm by Seprix »

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: April 20, 2015, 03:08:12 pm »

Still perfection.

I discovered only yesterday that NepTune (the autotune processor in Reason) actually lets you program in a melody for the line to follow. As long as you have formant fixer on, you can give someone's voice completely new pitches.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: April 20, 2015, 07:12:42 pm »

Mwahaha. Another party down, another unsuspecting fool who can no longer say he's never seen Shock Treatment.

Apparently, Shock Treatment is a gift from God. My friend's wife who had to endure the end of the movie posted this:

Thanks you God!!! You put Steve and I at the right place at the right time. Thanks to Kevin and letting Steve finish watching a movie he was watching we ended up at a scene of a really bad accident in time to help them instead of in time to be part of the serious accident. They were drinking and driving on Holmes Rd, went around the top curve on Holmes that turns into a down hill and hydroplaned and crashed head on into a tree. There were 3 young men, but we only saw 2, that Steve and I both agreed probably weren't old enough to drink. They were injured and pacing the street around the car when we drove up. Instantly we took action. Steve called 911 and I ended up having to use my mom voice and getting them to stay with the car because they wanted to wonder into the middle of the street. They also wanted us to lie and say we saw everything. When the police came we told them how we drove up and the cop even said he could tell how wasted they were.
So Thank you for letting us continue to watch our beautiful girls grow.

Divine providence!!!!!
A man has no signature

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: April 20, 2015, 11:11:15 pm »

not sure if the video was supposed to be relevant for something, but that's equestria girls, which is terrible.

It's still My Little Pony.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: April 21, 2015, 04:00:22 am »

not sure if the video was supposed to be relevant for something, but that's equestria girls, which is terrible.

but they aren't ponies.

I mean, sure, it's part of the official output. But I never said I like every asset of generation 4. I also think hasbro is a horrible company which is purely interested in selling toys.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: April 21, 2015, 07:15:55 am »

but they aren't ponies.

I mean, sure, it's part of the official output. But I never said I like every asset of generation 4. I also think hasbro is a horrible company which is purely interested in selling toys.

Actually, they are, right? He movie starts as ponies, then they pass through a portal and get transformed, have a quest, then turn back into ponies.

It's a story arc.  If in the next HP book, Harry got turned into a frog but could talk and had to find an amulet to get turned back into a human, it'd still be Harry Potter, even if it sucked.  HP fans couldn't say "That's not Harry Potter because he's not a human wizard" just to exclude it.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: April 21, 2015, 08:23:51 am »
+1

I ran out of tea at work. So now it's either Yellow Label or nothing. I think I'll go with nothing...

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3795 on: April 21, 2015, 09:25:30 am »
+2

My Little Ponies is a metaphor for a Hell's Kitchen motorcycle gang.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: April 21, 2015, 09:59:33 am »

but they aren't ponies.

Actually, they are, right? He movie starts as ponies, then they pass through a portal and get transformed, have a quest, then turn back into ponies.

It's a story arc.  If in the next HP book, Harry got turned into a frog but could talk and had to find an amulet to get turned back into a human, it'd still be Harry Potter, even if it sucked.  HP fans couldn't say "That's not Harry Potter because he's not a human wizard" just to exclude it.

Not quite. The Equestria Girls content is specifically not part of the main series' canon, only vice versa. It's an alternate universe sidestory.

Also, only Twilight actually transforms into a human, the others just exist in two separate versions for whatever reason.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: April 21, 2015, 10:20:51 am »
+1

but they aren't ponies.

Not quite. The Equestria Girls content is specifically not part of the main series' canon, only vice versa. It's an alternate universe sidestory.

Also, only Twilight actually transforms into a human, the others just exist in two separate versions for whatever reason.

Remember that Twilight also exists in humanoid form in the alternate universe, because Hasbro likes post credits sequences almost as much as Marvel.  This would seem to imply that the portal... thing... might also work both ways.  The lack of an original humanoid Sunset Shimmer has disturbing implications though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: April 21, 2015, 11:12:29 am »

Still perfection.

I discovered only yesterday that NepTune (the autotune processor in Reason) actually lets you program in a melody for the line to follow. As long as you have formant fixer on, you can give someone's voice completely new pitches.

I hear the AutoTune in Logic Pro X is really weak, but I'm not sure yet.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: April 21, 2015, 11:13:23 am »

I ran out of tea at work. So now it's either Yellow Label or nothing. I think I'll go with nothing...

Why not Godot Blend #107?
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 230  All

Page created in 2.25 seconds with 21 queries.