Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226173 times)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #3575 on: March 22, 2015, 07:28:32 pm »
+5

I don't like different sizes for bank notes. I'm okay with lack of color variation with money, though I guess we can make money the color of the rainbow.

I'm gonna guess you're American? I feel like this is one of those things that you just don't see the advantages of because you've gotten used to what you already have. Like, when would it be inconvenient to have different sizes for bank notes? When you're stacking them together I suppose. Why would you be stacking notes of different denominations together? It just doesn't seem like something that happens; even in a bank they're kept separate, and in your wallet they're probably just stuffed in a pocket together, not laid out neatly. It's not like you're likely to have more than a few notes on you at one time after... oh, wait, the US also uses a note for $1 doesn't it? Yeah... still probably not an issue, but maybe you'll have more than a couple of notes at once.

Just coming late to the party, but wanted to chime in as an American who has lived abroad a lot.

I have used the US dollar, the Euro, the Lira, the Yen, the Rupee (Mauritius), and the Aussie dollar (among others) as my main currency at one time or another.  I can say, after many years of experience, that I strongly prefer bills of the exact same size.  I do like different colors for different denominations, though.

The reason I prefer single-size money is that I prefer a small wallet.  Big bills, even Australian 50s, are a pain to fit into a small wallet.  USD always fits just fine.  If you are going to change the size of your money, though, do it like the Japanese -- yen vary only in length, not height, and only by a few mm.  There are no bills the size of paperback pages (Euro) that won't fit in a purse, let alone a wallet.  When the height of a bill doesn't change, you can use the same size wallet for all the bills, even if you have to fold one end.  To make a big Euro note fit in a small wallet, it's two folds (lengthwise and vertical) to make it fit, and that's horrific.

And really, if you can't pay attention to the gigantic number on the bill, it's your own fault.  (Unless, as mentioned previously, you can't see.  I think braille is the way to go there, or notches, or something.  We definitely should do something about that.  I remember taking money as a cashier and most blind customers folded each bill a different way.)

I will say, we need to retire the penny and just round up/down as needed.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: March 22, 2015, 07:48:03 pm »
+6

But without ridiculously large notes, you don't have a reason to use a large wallet, and without a large wallet, how are you supposed to show how stupidly rich you are!?

pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: March 22, 2015, 10:34:35 pm »
+2

The reason I prefer single-size money is that I prefer a small wallet.  Big bills, even Australian 50s, are a pain to fit into a small wallet.  USD always fits just fine.  If you are going to change the size of your money, though, do it like the Japanese -- yen vary only in length, not height, and only by a few mm.  There are no bills the size of paperback pages (Euro) that won't fit in a purse, let alone a wallet.  When the height of a bill doesn't change, you can use the same size wallet for all the bills, even if you have to fold one end.  To make a big Euro note fit in a small wallet, it's two folds (lengthwise and vertical) to make it fit, and that's horrific.

And really, if you can't pay attention to the gigantic number on the bill, it's your own fault.  (Unless, as mentioned previously, you can't see.  I think braille is the way to go there, or notches, or something.  We definitely should do something about that.  I remember taking money as a cashier and most blind customers folded each bill a different way.)

From you explanation, what you prefer are small-sized bills, not uniformly-sized bills.  Even varying both height and length, a country could still make the biggest bills small enough to fit in your small wallet.  Alternatively, even with a single size, a country could make all bills obnoxiously big.

Also,

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 10:35:47 pm by eHalcyon »

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: March 22, 2015, 10:46:12 pm »
+1

From you explanation, what you prefer are small-sized bills, not uniformly-sized bills.  Even varying both height and length, a country could still make the biggest bills small enough to fit in your small wallet.  Alternatively, even with a single size, a country could make all bills obnoxiously big.

Actually, the nonuniformity of Australian dollars is a pain.  I drop money all the time due to this.  My current wallet requires all bills be folded in half, creating a shorter rectangle.  I currently put the smallest bills on the inside of the fold (5s being the smallest), which makes getting small denominations out of the wallet annoying at best and excrutiating at worst.

I will concede though, that if the bills aren't too small or too large, I could easily survive nonuniform sizes (a la the Yen).
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: March 22, 2015, 10:58:17 pm »

You remind me of the babe
What babe?
The babe with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who do?
You do
Do what?

Why oh why isn't there a downvote button!?

I upvoted it just to spite your impudence.

Also, I laughed like a maniac at this posting.

A man has no signature

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: March 22, 2015, 11:05:32 pm »

What babe?
The babe with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who do?
You do
Do what?

I just saw that. :p

I love that movie to death despite it's faults. There are rumors of a possible sequel that I would totally watch.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: March 22, 2015, 11:33:18 pm »

Am I thinking of the same film you guys are?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: March 22, 2015, 11:39:42 pm »

Am I thinking of the same film you guys are?

Labyrinth?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: March 22, 2015, 11:41:10 pm »

What babe?
The babe with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who do?
You do
Do what?

I love that movie to death despite it's faults. There are rumors of a possible sequel that I would totally watch.

I think it's a fine movie except for that song.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: March 22, 2015, 11:41:56 pm »

Nevermind. I haven't seen that one. I have seen the film whose lines it references though.

I was pretty sure I was confused since the movie I'm thinking of has no faults that I can remember.

Edit: yeah I had googled it with the lines WW used. It certainly looks...interesting.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:44:39 pm by Ichimaru Gin »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3585 on: March 22, 2015, 11:45:54 pm »

What babe?
The babe with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who do?
You do
Do what?

You think THAT song is bad? You must have not seen the movie.

And this:

Don't you dare tell me Magic Dance is worse than those two songs.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: March 22, 2015, 11:53:22 pm »

What babe?
The babe with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who do?
You do
Do what?

And this:

It is. Chilly Down is the best song in that film.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: March 22, 2015, 11:57:04 pm »

What babe?
The babe with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who do?
You do
Do what?

Ahem... faults?  Kindly withdrawal your comment, sir, for that movie was god-damned perfect.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: March 22, 2015, 11:57:33 pm »

What babe?
The babe with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who do?
You do
Do what?

And this:

It is. Chilly Down is the best song in that film.

WHAT!?

When I watched that movie, that was easily the worst scene in the movie. It came out of nowhere, it didn't fit with the rest of the movie, and I remember watching this with my sister, and though we loved most of the movie (when she wasn't constantly commenting about the status of Bowie's 'magic stick' being overtly visible with his tights), we both looked at each other when that scene happened, and we were just appalled. It's soooooo bad..

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: March 22, 2015, 11:58:40 pm »

What babe?
The babe with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who do?
You do
Do what?

Ahem... faults?  Kindly withdrawal your comment, sir, for that movie was god-damned perfect.

It really wasn't, but man watching that movie makes me feel like a kid again.. It's really a good movie.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: March 23, 2015, 12:00:30 am »

The scene is bad, sure. The song is good. Labyrinth is my sister's favorite film, so I've seen it a bunch AND listened to the soundtrack a bunch. Chilly Down is the high point for me. Dance Magic Dance is tear-your-ears-off annoying.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: March 23, 2015, 12:02:35 am »

What babe?
The babe with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who do?
You do
Do what?

It really wasn't, but man watching that movie makes me feel like a kid again.. It's really a good movie.

No, anything that would normally be a problem in any other movie just becomes more awesome and hilarious because it's Labrynth.  David Bowie walks around with a football stuffed down his rights and we're all just like, "... alright, that works".

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: March 23, 2015, 12:19:21 am »
+2

There are two types of people in this world: Those who appreciate all Labyrinth songs and Nazis.
A man has no signature

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: March 23, 2015, 12:21:09 am »

I'd rather be a Nazi than listen to David Bowie.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: March 23, 2015, 05:50:48 am »
+2

There are two types of people in this world: Those who appreciate all Labyrinth songs and Nazis.

Am I a Nazi for never having heard about it before today ?
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: March 23, 2015, 06:18:25 am »
+4

You are Schrödinger's Nazi.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: March 23, 2015, 09:43:33 am »

No, you're just a sad, sad man living an empty life.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: March 23, 2015, 12:19:20 pm »
+9

Nazi Jokes? That seems to be taking it a bit too far, anne frankly it's kind of unsettling.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: March 23, 2015, 12:56:00 pm »
+2

Nazi Jokes? That seems to be taking it a bit too far, anne frankly it's kind of unsettling.
Especially when on the whole, a caustic approach seems to be the norm.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: March 23, 2015, 01:10:21 pm »
+1

panzer!
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 230  All

Page created in 2.324 seconds with 21 queries.