Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226745 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #3550 on: March 22, 2015, 02:00:56 am »

Is there any font that looks good that is just black pixels or white pixels?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: March 22, 2015, 02:03:18 am »

Is there any font that looks good that is just black pixels or white pixels?

http://www.dafont.com/bitmap.php

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: March 22, 2015, 08:13:55 am »
+3

ITT: people worried that different sized notes/bills will be harder to sort.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: March 22, 2015, 10:32:46 am »

You remind me of the babe
What babe?
The babe with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who do?
You do
Do what?
You remind me of the babe

Why oh why isn't there a downvote button!?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: March 22, 2015, 11:48:02 am »

Oh, yeah, so I talked to that friend who works in a bank again today. He said that asides from the size and colour meaning you have to pay more attention while decanting them, he said the other issue is that they stick together due to the material they're made of. He says he can count up £1000 in £20's in the same time he can count $20 in $1's due to that.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3555 on: March 22, 2015, 12:15:35 pm »
+1

That's only a 20% slowdown, which is probably made up by differences in tax rates.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: March 22, 2015, 12:21:00 pm »
+1

That's only a 20% slowdown, which is probably made up by differences in tax rates.

I laughed, but then realised it's actually a 60% slowdown, or 2.5 times slower if you prefer. It's quite a big difference.

Although while we're on the topic of tax rates and dollars... it surprises me that US stores don't include VAT in the price tag. Like, how do you keep a quick running total of prices for when you reach the checkout? Well I know it isn't that difficult to work out an expected final figure and than add in your 20% (or whatever US's VAT rate is), but it's an extra step that most people won't be able to do. Most people can go around and do a rough running total of their price and know if something has gone wrong at the end.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 12:23:21 pm by Tables »
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: March 22, 2015, 12:31:26 pm »
+1

I laughed, but then realised it's actually a 60% slowdown, or 2.5 times slower if you prefer. It's quite a big difference.

Although while we're on the topic of tax rates and dollars... it surprises me that US stores don't include VAT in the price tag. Like, how do you keep a quick running total of prices for when you reach the checkout? Well I know it isn't that difficult to work out an expected final figure and than add in your 20% (or whatever US's VAT rate is), but it's an extra step that most people won't be able to do. Most people can go around and do a rough running total of their price and know if something has gone wrong at the end.

My theory is that Americans hate taxes (more than most I mean) so they like to know exactly how much the mean evil big government is sucking out of they hard-earned money.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: March 22, 2015, 12:45:35 pm »
+3

Counting is hard: that's why I had to take a PhD in it.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: March 22, 2015, 12:46:53 pm »

I hate to be the one to break the bad news, but the US doesn't have a VAT.  There are however, various state and local sales taxes on most things that are sold (the exceptions and actual tax rates depend on where you are, and to some extent what you are purchasing).
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: March 22, 2015, 01:01:09 pm »

Counting is hard: that's why I had to take a PhD in it.
People always look at me funny when I say counting is hard completely seriously. I don't have a PhD in it or anything, but I know enough to know that it is hard.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: March 22, 2015, 01:27:52 pm »

I hate to be the one to break the bad news, but the US doesn't have a VAT.  There are however, various state and local sales taxes on most things that are sold (the exceptions and actual tax rates depend on where you are, and to some extent what you are purchasing).

Isn't that just the same thing but with a different name? An extra cost added to products you're buying that goes to the government, excluding certain necessities. I think I did know it was state dependent but forgot that in my post.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: March 22, 2015, 01:37:19 pm »

Taxes are stupid, and pointless too since we just 'borrow' money ad infinitum anyways.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: March 22, 2015, 02:34:34 pm »

Isn't that just the same thing but with a different name? An extra cost added to products you're buying that goes to the government, excluding certain necessities. I think I did know it was state dependent but forgot that in my post.

VAT is paid by everybody (who sells enough) on the difference between what they paid for an item and what they sell it for.  Sales tax is paid only on sales to consumers.  The effects are similar: more money moves around under the VAT system, but you don't have to define what counts as selling to consumers.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: March 22, 2015, 03:00:10 pm »
+3

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: March 22, 2015, 03:00:36 pm »

It's not just state-dependent, either; it often varies from county to county (which are somewhat, but not really, analogous to counties in Britain), and in some cases city to city.

Also--I cannot make this shit up--in some places, you can be charged sales tax on your fast food if you sit down in the restaurant to eat it, and not be charged the same tax if you get it as take-out.

Not including the tax in the price makes things seem cheaper.  I think that's the single reason we don't do it.  Americans have an aversion to taxes for some reason.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: March 22, 2015, 03:06:53 pm »

It's not just state-dependent, either; it often varies from county to county (which are somewhat, but not really, analogous to counties in Britain), and in some cases city to city.

Also--I cannot make this shit up--in some places, you can be charged sales tax on your fast food if you sit down in the restaurant to eat it, and not be charged the same tax if you get it as take-out.

Not including the tax in the price makes things seem cheaper.  I think that's the single reason we don't do it.  Americans have an aversion to taxes for some reason.

Also why we price things $7.99 instead of $8.00, makes things look cheaper. It's a con, and I hate that. That's the one thing I love about Europe, they don't try to lie to you, and when you go to the 2 Euro Store, that's all you pay, compared to a Dollar Store being more than a dollar here in the US.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: March 22, 2015, 03:13:54 pm »
+2

One of my pet peeves: when something at a store is, say, $7.99, and someone says it's seven dollars.  NO!!!  IT'S EIGHT!!!!

Also, I don't have sales tax where I live ;D
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: March 22, 2015, 03:29:37 pm »

One of my pet peeves: when something at a store is, say, $7.99, and someone says it's seven dollars.  NO!!!  IT'S EIGHT!!!!

Also, I don't have sales tax where I live ;D

My lucky friend, we usually do not have sales tax where we live either. :) I think one of the few exceptions is organic produce or something like that.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: March 22, 2015, 03:31:24 pm »

That also happens over here.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3570 on: March 22, 2015, 04:10:23 pm »
+1

I was scrolling through some question and answers site, and the majority of it all were all odd or weird questions like these:

Other questions were whether the Earth was bigger than the Sun, and whether .05 was bigger than .5, and other stuff like that. And every answer is always simple with a short explanation, and the people answering these questions have PhDs and high caliber ranks in education. They must be pulling their hair out. XD

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: March 22, 2015, 04:41:10 pm »

Grandma's chemistry tips:

If you have an oven that you care about keeping clean and do not have a sack of bicarbonate of soda then one of those things has to change.  It's fairly well known that bicarb and a little water will clean things (it's abrasive), but the real trick is to cover the entire base with a thin layer.  That stops stuff from reaching the oven in the first place.  A friend of mine suggest that saponification may be involved in binding the fats, but whatever the mechanism, it works: I've not touched my oven for 6 months and it wiped perfectly clean in a few minutes earlier today.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: March 22, 2015, 04:46:45 pm »

A neat Q&A site is Quora.  People ask all kinds of random questions, and some are pretty interesting.  Lots are based on experience or opinion ("what's it like to do this?", "what are some of the key features or qualities of that", etc.)

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: March 22, 2015, 04:50:09 pm »

I think of Quora as the obnoxious site that pesters you to sign up, but a few of the (first answers to) "What's it like to be a ..." type questions that I've been linked to have been interesting.  In my mind Quora is a cross between Yahoo Answers and the abomination that is ResearchGate, but apparently that's unfair.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: March 22, 2015, 04:56:21 pm »

When my friend first told me about Quora, I had exactly the same feeling.  "I have to sign up for this?  What kind of world do we live in?"  But I eventually did, and since gmail separates the emails they send into the "Social" box, which I never have to pay much attention to, every once and a while I read the email and check out a few questions/answers when one looks interesting.  Usually it's worthwhile for the amount of time/effort. 
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 230  All

Page created in 2.418 seconds with 21 queries.