Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226659 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #3525 on: March 20, 2015, 08:05:15 pm »

I actually feel really evil for posting GIFs about money.

And yes, I specifically googled 'Interesting Money GIF'.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: March 20, 2015, 08:11:14 pm »

Different colors for different values would be very nice, I don't know why we don't do that.  But other countries really have different size bills?  That sounds awful...

(the colours of the 5€ and 10€ have changed a bit since this picture though; 200€ and especially 500€ notes are really rare)
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: March 21, 2015, 04:07:02 am »

American money is the worst. I legit can't tell the value of the coins, and $100 is such a small bill to be the biggest one. Doesn't help that you can accidentally give a $100 instead of a $1 because they look so alike. And they are always dirty and disgusting too!

I have no complaints about euros, especially since my country was somehow smart enough to not introduce the two smallest coins.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: March 21, 2015, 04:19:47 am »

On £50 notes: it's not just that some places won't accept them, it's that you're very unlikely to even see one.  I've seen perhaps two or three £50 notes in my life, and never touched one.  Banks just don't give them out; if you ask for several thousand pounds in cash you'll get twenties.  I'm pretty sure that gangsters and foreign tourists are the only people who ever come to possess them.

500 euro notes are almost illegal in the UK, as there is no conceivable lawful use for them.  (They're not illegal, but bureaux de change aren't allowed to buy them from wholesalers.)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: March 21, 2015, 05:39:51 am »

Different colors for different values would be very nice, I don't know why we don't do that.  But other countries really have different size bills?  That sounds awful...

I'm actually shocked that the US notes are all the same size. How do colourblind people tell them apart at a glance? Completely blind people? How do you tell if someone has hidden some smaller notes in a stack without looking through the entire stack to see if a note is different? How do you prevent a cashier accidentally putting a note in the wrong section? It just seems like there's too many advantages to different sized notes that help mitigate or remove these issues.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: March 21, 2015, 05:42:10 am »
+1

American money is the worst. I legit can't tell the value of the coins, and $100 is such a small bill to be the biggest one. Doesn't help that you can accidentally give a $100 instead of a $1 because they look so alike. And they are always dirty and disgusting too!

I have no complaints about euros, especially since my country was somehow smart enough to not introduce the two smallest coins.

Really ? So are there never costs that end in anything other than 0 or 5 in Finland ?

Sidenote : I have seen a 500€ bill exactly once, it was like 10 years ago and the reason was that we were reimbursed for accepting to take a later flight because ours was full. I kinda like that there's this mythical bill that most people rarely see, if ever.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 05:45:48 am by Teproc »
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: March 21, 2015, 07:53:27 am »

Really ? So are there never costs that end in anything other than 0 or 5 in Finland ?

Sidenote : I have seen a 500€ bill exactly once, it was like 10 years ago and the reason was that we were reimbursed for accepting to take a later flight because ours was full. I kinda like that there's this mythical bill that most people rarely see, if ever.
The prices are shown normally, and if you pay with a credit card, they'll charge you 20.14 or whatever. But they round everything to 0 or 5 if you pay in cash. 1 and 2 cent coins are accepted, though.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3532 on: March 21, 2015, 08:06:33 am »

I'm actually shocked that the US notes are all the same size. How do colourblind people tell them apart at a glance? Completely blind people? How do you tell if someone has hidden some smaller notes in a stack without looking through the entire stack to see if a note is different? How do you prevent a cashier accidentally putting a note in the wrong section? It just seems like there's too many advantages to different sized notes that help mitigate or remove these issues.

I believe there was actually a court case a few years ago where a blind person sued the US treasury about this and won, implying that they SHOULD be doing something about this...

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: March 21, 2015, 08:16:40 am »

On £50 notes: it's not just that some places won't accept them, it's that you're very unlikely to even see one.  I've seen perhaps two or three £50 notes in my life, and never touched one.  Banks just don't give them out; if you ask for several thousand pounds in cash you'll get twenties.  I'm pretty sure that gangsters and foreign tourists are the only people who ever come to possess them.

500 euro notes are almost illegal in the UK, as there is no conceivable lawful use for them.  (They're not illegal, but bureaux de change aren't allowed to buy them from wholesalers.)

Man, I didn't know about it, so when I went to the UK for a year, I arrived with a fair amount of cash just in case, and about half of it was 50 pound notes. It was really annoying to get rid of them.

Unless you are a corrupt politician or a swiss bank, in which case you are going to see a lot of them. Gotta pack all that black money tightly!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: March 21, 2015, 08:20:32 am »
+1

Poker player also works. Drug dealer too.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: March 21, 2015, 08:37:35 am »

Drug dealer too.

I have no professional experience in that sector, but considering who their clients are, I don't see how they can get ahold of 500€ notes.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: March 21, 2015, 09:31:27 am »

The reason they were banned in the UK is that you take all the dirty £20 notes off the street and launder them into clean 500 euro notes that you can stuff in your socks or wherever.  So it's more of a higher-up thing.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: March 21, 2015, 09:35:21 am »

...is the joke that £20 notes are purple too?

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: March 21, 2015, 09:47:12 am »
+7

So what, Europeans have a different sized wallet for each bill denomination? Preposterous!

If anything we should change the texture of bills to aid the blind. $1 is rough like sandpaper, $5s are wet and slimy, and $20s are kept slightly warm using radioactive isotopes.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: March 21, 2015, 10:33:14 am »
+1

Drug dealer too.

I have no professional experience in that sector, but considering who their clients are, I don't see how they can get ahold of 500€ notes.
Probably not someone selling crack in a corner, but think like a coke dealer for rich people.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3540 on: March 21, 2015, 10:40:06 am »

Canadian banknotes have braille on them.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: March 21, 2015, 11:15:30 am »

I don't like different sizes for bank notes. I'm okay with lack of color variation with money, though I guess we can make money the color of the rainbow.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: March 21, 2015, 11:22:26 am »
+6

Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum.  Just like every good RPG.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: March 21, 2015, 08:43:22 pm »
+2

I don't like different sizes for bank notes. I'm okay with lack of color variation with money, though I guess we can make money the color of the rainbow.

I'm gonna guess you're American? I feel like this is one of those things that you just don't see the advantages of because you've gotten used to what you already have. Like, when would it be inconvenient to have different sizes for bank notes? When you're stacking them together I suppose. Why would you be stacking notes of different denominations together? It just doesn't seem like something that happens; even in a bank they're kept separate, and in your wallet they're probably just stuffed in a pocket together, not laid out neatly. It's not like you're likely to have more than a few notes on you at one time after... oh, wait, the US also uses a note for $1 doesn't it? Yeah... still probably not an issue, but maybe you'll have more than a couple of notes at once.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: March 21, 2015, 09:29:08 pm »
+1

I'm gonna guess you're American? I feel like this is one of those things that you just don't see the advantages of because you've gotten used to what you already have. Like, when would it be inconvenient to have different sizes for bank notes? When you're stacking them together I suppose. Why would you be stacking notes of different denominations together? It just doesn't seem like something that happens; even in a bank they're kept separate, and in your wallet they're probably just stuffed in a pocket together, not laid out neatly. It's not like you're likely to have more than a few notes on you at one time after... oh, wait, the US also uses a note for $1 doesn't it? Yeah... still probably not an issue, but maybe you'll have more than a couple of notes at once.

I usually keep bills of different denominations "stacked" together in my wallet, and they all fold in the same place.  I can just reach in the top and pull them all out if I need to.  I feel like if they were different sizes, I'd have to reach all the way down to make sure the smaller ones don't slide out.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: March 21, 2015, 10:02:18 pm »
+1

Colors would be fine, but how am I going to store my money if everything is a different size? I use a wallet, not a storage case.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: March 21, 2015, 10:05:16 pm »
+7

Colors would be fine, but how am I going to store my money if everything is a different size? I use a wallet, not a storage case.

You only need a wallet sized to fit the biggest bill.  The smaller ones will also fit in the wallet.  Containers are interesting that way.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: March 21, 2015, 11:11:28 pm »

You only need a wallet sized to fit the biggest bill.  The smaller ones will also fit in the wallet.  Containers are interesting that way.

But now those poor people like David Bowie can't carry giant wallets with their small pants! You are obviously an individual with an evil agenda.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: March 22, 2015, 12:18:23 am »
+2

I have mine neatly stacked and folded in my wallet in order, which makes it easier to find.  I usually have several $1s, a few $5s, and a $10 or $20 in my wallet at all times.  It makes things a lot easier.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: March 22, 2015, 01:39:23 am »
+6

You remind me of the babe
What babe?
The babe with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who do?
You do
Do what?
You remind me of the babe
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.