Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226380 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #3500 on: March 20, 2015, 12:38:11 pm »
+1

Non decimalization of money is stupid. Americans 1 British 0

Non decimalization of distances is stupid. Americans 1 British 1
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: March 20, 2015, 12:39:09 pm »
+1

Erm...The British use Miles...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: March 20, 2015, 12:45:12 pm »

Then nobody wins.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: March 20, 2015, 12:46:39 pm »
+1

Then nobody wins.

Canada wins!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: March 20, 2015, 01:06:51 pm »
+1

I guess nobody finds sweeping generalizations as funny as I do. :/

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #3505 on: March 20, 2015, 01:07:30 pm »

Then nobody wins.

Canada wins!
Except the French part...
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: March 20, 2015, 01:31:43 pm »
+2

I guess Nobody finds sweeping generalizations as funny as I do. :/
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: March 20, 2015, 01:34:55 pm »

Then nobody wins.

Canada wins!

Shhhh, we don't talk about them.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: March 20, 2015, 03:01:00 pm »

Someone once asked me to write a Dominion article on Village as a joke. I thought it would be funny if I actually did that. And then I got really sad and I decided I wanted to write something actually useful instead, so now I'm writing something about Farming Village instead. It's going to have some holes in it (because I'm not the best Dominion player ever), but I'm really thinking hard about this, as well as looking at other articles to see how they do things. Hopefully, there won't be too many problems. The main thing I want to try to do is to keep things short and sweet if possible. Any other tips?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7867
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: March 20, 2015, 03:02:13 pm »
+1

Someone once asked me to write a Dominion article on Village as a joke. I thought it would be funny if I actually did that. And then I got really sad and I decided I wanted to write something actually useful instead, so now I'm writing something about Farming Village instead. It's going to have some holes in it (because I'm not the best Dominion player ever), but I'm really thinking hard about this, as well as looking at other articles to see how they do things. Hopefully, there won't be too many problems. The main thing I want to try to do is to keep things short and sweet if possible. Any other tips?

Gaining a Silver is pretty much about the most powerful thing you can do in Dominion.  Be sure to emphasize the synnergy with Silver Gainers.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3510 on: March 20, 2015, 03:02:48 pm »

Gaining a Silver is pretty much about the most powerful thing you can do in Dominion.  Be sure to emphasize the synnergy with Silver Gainers.

Lol, give actual good advice please. :)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: March 20, 2015, 04:01:21 pm »
+2

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: March 20, 2015, 04:02:00 pm »

That was good advice.  Bureaucrat is the best card in Dominion, and Farming Village is an excellent counter.  It also works with Bureaucrat, allowing you to play more of them, so games with Bureaucrat and Farming Village tend to be degenerate.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: March 20, 2015, 04:05:08 pm »

That was good advice.  Bureaucrat is the best card in Dominion, and Farming Village is an excellent counter.  It also works with Bureaucrat, allowing you to play more of them, so games with Bureaucrat and Farming Village tend to be degenerate.

Lol, yes. Bureaucrat forever! I already put in Bureaucrat as a thing FV counters, as if that's something to be super proud about. :p

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: March 20, 2015, 06:37:20 pm »

Then nobody wins.

Canada wins!

You mean Québecois. That language they speak, that's not the French I know.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: March 20, 2015, 07:03:39 pm »

Sure, but decimalized American coins also don't relate to their values, excepting the quarter.  And multi-pound notes even in pre-decimal Britain were labeled like multi-dollar notes in the US.

This is one of the things that often throws me off when I see American context questions online. Like, I've never really researched it but from what I understand you have at least three coins, right? Pennies are 1c, Nickels are 10c and Quarters are 25c. Oh, and Dimes are... 50c? 5c? I genuinely don't know actually. With the Pound Sterling it's easy. £1 = 100p, and then you have the one pence, the two pence, the five pence, ten pence, twenty pence, fifty pence, one pound, two pounds, five pounds (switching to notes here, although five pound coins exist as legal tender but are rare, usually commemorative), ten pounds, twenty pounds and fifty pounds. All of those are very easy to work out the values of - and they follow a nice neat pattern as well (1, 2 and 5 of each multiple of 10). The only tricky thing might be if people talked about 'coppers' and 'silver' coins - coppers are 1/2p, silvers are 5-50p. Also another nice thing is that the 2p is exactly twice the size (volume wise) of the 1p and the 10p is twice the size of the 5p and in both cases the coins being compared are the same material.

Anyway while I'm on the matter of currency, and since this is random stuff, a friend of mine is a bank teller and thus works with different currencies daily. He handles about a half-dozen different ones with reasonable frequency (and a few others occasionally) and he's said that of those, the only one he dislikes working with is the US Dollar. I forget exactly why he dislikes them but I think two major issues are that it's not as easy to tell the notes apart at a quick glance as with most other currencies (I haven't done extensive research into it but IIRC US notes are all predominantly green with only slight hue changes, and only slight size variation? Most other countries change size and colour much more noticably between note values, making it far easier to tell them apart), and also he said they just feel a lot less pleasant in your fingers. I've never handled USD so I dunno how true that is, but eh.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: March 20, 2015, 07:08:44 pm »
+2

Like, I've never really researched it but from what I understand you have at least three coins, right? Pennies are 1c, Nickels are 10c and Quarters are 25c. Oh, and Dimes are... 50c? 5c?

Even I know that a nickel is 5 cents and that a Dime was 35p until they changed the name a few years back.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: March 20, 2015, 07:12:26 pm »

I believe US and Canada have similar coinage -- pennies, nickels (5 cents), dimes (10 cents), quarters (25 cents) and dollars.  I think the US also has a half-dollar coin?  Canada recently phased out pennies and we also have a two dollar coin.  For bills, Canada phased out $1 and $2 bills a while ago; we have $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 bills.  They are very colourful, but all the same size.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: March 20, 2015, 07:13:19 pm »

Sure, but decimalized American coins also don't relate to their values, excepting the quarter.  And multi-pound notes even in pre-decimal Britain were labeled like multi-dollar notes in the US.

This is one of the things that often throws me off when I see American context questions online. Like, I've never really researched it but from what I understand you have at least three coins, right? Pennies are 1c, Nickels are 10c and Quarters are 25c. Oh, and Dimes are... 50c? 5c? I genuinely don't know actually. With the Pound Sterling it's easy. £1 = 100p, and then you have the one pence, the two pence, the five pence, ten pence, twenty pence, fifty pence, one pound, two pounds, five pounds (switching to notes here, although five pound coins exist as legal tender but are rare, usually commemorative), ten pounds, twenty pounds and fifty pounds. All of those are very easy to work out the values of - and they follow a nice neat pattern as well (1, 2 and 5 of each multiple of 10). The only tricky thing might be if people talked about 'coppers' and 'silver' coins - coppers are 1/2p, silvers are 5-50p. Also another nice thing is that the 2p is exactly twice the size (volume wise) of the 1p and the 10p is twice the size of the 5p and in both cases the coins being compared are the same material.

Nickels are 5c and Dimes are 10c (Dime used to be spelled "Disme", coming from the same root as "decimate": a tenth).

I agree that British currency is very simple now. The only thing that bothers me is that if you group coins by metal and shape, you have 1/2p, 5/10p, 20/50p, 1 Pound, 2 Pounds, while Euros are grouped as 1/2/5c, 10/20/50c, 1/2€, so it is quite confusing at first.

And for some reason people in the UK can refuse to be paid with 50 pound notes, while in the mainland they can only refuse 100€ notes and up.

PPE 2!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 07:17:18 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: March 20, 2015, 07:46:38 pm »

(I haven't done extensive research into it but IIRC US notes are all predominantly green with only slight hue changes, and only slight size variation? Most other countries change size and colour much more noticably between note values, making it far easier to tell them apart), and also he said they just feel a lot less pleasant in your fingers. I've never handled USD so I dunno how true that is, but eh.
American bills are essentially all the same color (some of our most recent $100 bills have a purplish strip, and an orange bell and feather--with that being the only color deviation I can think of). And they're also all exactly the same size. I haven't handled much foreign currency, but I can agree that US bills are kind of boring and hard to tell apart. I think they tend to be thicker than other countries' notes as far as I can tell. "Crisp" bills that are newer are nice to handle, but older ones are more limp and kind of tattered. American bills seem to crumple easier and/or are difficult to remove folds from--which can be kind of annoying. I think this is likely due to the greater thickness of the bills.

But yeah, almost all other currencies seem more exciting.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: March 20, 2015, 07:48:54 pm »

American bills are essentially all the same color (some of our most recent $100 bills have a purplish strip, and an orange bell and feather--with that being the only color deviation I can think of). And they're also all exactly the same size. I haven't handled much foreign currency, but I can agree that US bills are kind of boring and hard to tell apart. I think they tend to be thicker than other countries' notes as far as I can tell. "Crisp" bills that are newer are nice to handle, but older ones are more limp and kind of tattered. American bills seem to crumple easier and/or are difficult to remove folds from--which can be kind of annoying. I think this is likely due to the greater thickness of the bills.

But yeah, almost all other currencies seem more exciting.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: March 20, 2015, 07:56:22 pm »

Sorry. US money is still boring ;D

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: March 20, 2015, 08:00:01 pm »

Sorry. US money is still boring ;D

More interesting money.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: March 20, 2015, 08:04:14 pm »
+2

Anyway while I'm on the matter of currency, and since this is random stuff, a friend of mine is a bank teller and thus works with different currencies daily. He handles about a half-dozen different ones with reasonable frequency (and a few others occasionally) and he's said that of those, the only one he dislikes working with is the US Dollar. I forget exactly why he dislikes them but I think two major issues are that it's not as easy to tell the notes apart at a quick glance as with most other currencies (I haven't done extensive research into it but IIRC US notes are all predominantly green with only slight hue changes, and only slight size variation? Most other countries change size and colour much more noticably between note values, making it far easier to tell them apart), and also he said they just feel a lot less pleasant in your fingers. I've never handled USD so I dunno how true that is, but eh.

Different colors for different values would be very nice, I don't know why we don't do that.  But other countries really have different size bills?  That sounds awful...

I'm still waiting for a country that has bill values that are all powers of 2, so you can pay for everything with at most one of each bill.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: March 20, 2015, 08:05:04 pm »

interesting money.
Hey, you did that on purpose!
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 230  All

Page created in 1.629 seconds with 21 queries.