Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226740 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #3175 on: February 19, 2015, 04:15:15 pm »

It'll teach you how to pick up girls in the record store.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: February 19, 2015, 04:23:57 pm »

The only controllers that have ever broken in my house was a Mad Catz, which was broken after one day of use (we didn't even have Smash Bros. Mat Catz things are just broken pieces of crap anyways), and the second controller broke, which was when we were playing Smash, but it was a cheap Chinese knockoff (and I think it broke because my bro was storing it in his backpack, where it got really jostled). All of the official Nintendo controllers have been perfect.

If your friends broke controllers you wouldn't be able to dominate them. ;)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: February 19, 2015, 04:24:14 pm »
+3

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: February 19, 2015, 04:28:53 pm »

That explains a lot, primarily why my parents wouldn't let me watch the movie or read the book.

Yeah, it's a pretty adult book.

And not just for the sex, violence, and rape (though it has all of them). It has very adult themes about free will and morality.

If someone walks away from the movie about how he loved the Singing in the Rain scene, then he's not one to fully understand the meaning of the story. Also, he's probably a psychopath, and you should avoid him.
A man has no signature

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: February 19, 2015, 04:37:36 pm »
+3

Game Theory - All Clockwork and No Bodily Fluids Makes Hal a Dull Metal Humbert

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #3180 on: February 19, 2015, 04:42:35 pm »

That explains a lot, primarily why my parents wouldn't let me watch the movie or read the book.

Yeah, it's a pretty adult book.

And not just for the sex, violence, and rape (though it has all of them). It has very adult themes about free will and morality.

If someone walks away from the movie about how he loved the Singing in the Rain scene, then he's not one to fully understand the meaning of the story. Also, he's probably a psychopath, and you should avoid him.

I'm an intelligent person, and my parents are cool with me thinking for myself. They probably just don't like all the bad stuff in the book.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: February 19, 2015, 06:00:24 pm »

I don't have a Wii U and probably won't get one, which is sad, but I have a PS4 with Destiny so yeah.

Is Destiny worth getting?  I got a PS4 basically for Call of Duty (my brother-in-law plays and we were supposed to bond), but Destiny looks cool from a 1-player perspective...
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: February 19, 2015, 07:11:09 pm »

I don't have a Wii U and probably won't get one, which is sad, but I have a PS4 with Destiny so yeah.

Is Destiny worth getting?  I got a PS4 basically for Call of Duty (my brother-in-law plays and we were supposed to bond), but Destiny looks cool from a 1-player perspective...

Destiny is awesome. Some people hate it, but I like it a lot.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: February 19, 2015, 07:21:27 pm »

I projects a GameCube controller once, but the doctor did say it wasy fault for putting it there in the first place....
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: February 19, 2015, 07:47:35 pm »
+2

Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #3185 on: February 19, 2015, 07:55:03 pm »

That sounds nothing like and Ocarina :o
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: February 20, 2015, 01:29:58 am »

I tried to make it..... blunter for you, Kirian.

I helped!

Though my reference was not as obvious, but anyone who's seen the movie should get it.

And I do recommend that people read the book if they haven't already. It's quite the read. And I suggest doing it without a glossary. I didn't even know that some copies have a glossary. Mine did not, and I like to think that my reading experience was enhanced by my need to determine the vocabulary of Alex and his droogs without having a cheat sheet.

The movie is good to watch too. Very stylistic.  It's a tad less abhorrent than the events in the book (for example, the movie's sex scene involves girls who are not minors), but it should build up a healthy degree of disgust within you.

Man figuring out the slang was so fun. I realized a little ways in that it was all bastardized Russian and it was cool drawing the connections. Beautifully constructed. (My mom is a Russian interpreter/translator)
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: February 20, 2015, 12:18:06 pm »
+2

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: February 20, 2015, 12:23:24 pm »

The funny thing is how true this is...  This is how I've always heard them described.  Are the equations for the strong and weak forces just too complicated to say?  And I've never seen anything describe how the weak force does anything with radioactive decay...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: February 20, 2015, 12:24:25 pm »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3190 on: February 20, 2015, 12:34:20 pm »
+5

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: February 20, 2015, 12:50:37 pm »
+2

My understanding is that there is no convenient formula for large distance interactions involving the strong or the weak force. You have to describe them with sums of Feynman diagrams. More specifically in the case of the strong force, people try to describe it with supercomputers. In the case of the weak interaction, they just don't try.

The weak force is weak, so difficult to perceive directly, BUT, it has the "advantage" of not caring about a whole lot of quantum numbers that the other forces keep constant. For example, a proton all by itself will stay a proton under the other 3 forces, but it can "randomly" release an electron and an anti-neutrino to become a neutron (or viceversa) through the weak interaction. This is one kind of radioactive decay. Not all radioactive decays require the weak interaction though, IIRC.

This rabbit hole goes a lot deeper, of course.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: February 20, 2015, 12:51:37 pm »
+2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_interaction
Oh, so it's like Scout + Explorer.
Dude, scout draws your province so explorer can gain a gold. That's at least as strong as the gravitational force.

The joke is that gravity is the weakest of the four forces.

EDIT: The comic says the strong force holds protons and neutrons together. I know the strong force is why the nucleus doesn't fly apart because of the electromagnetic force, but I thought it was more a force between two protons, or is there also an interaction between neutrons and protons? I suppose there must be, otherwise neutrons would just sort of float around...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:55:18 pm by liopoil »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3193 on: February 20, 2015, 01:00:23 pm »
+6

They can't all be the strongest force ever.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: February 20, 2015, 01:22:15 pm »
+2

EDIT: The comic says the strong force holds protons and neutrons together. I know the strong force is why the nucleus doesn't fly apart because of the electromagnetic force, but I thought it was more a force between two protons, or is there also an interaction between neutrons and protons? I suppose there must be, otherwise neutrons would just sort of float around...

The strong interaction is a force between quarks and gluons, mediated by gluons. Quarks are the thingies that make up protons (quarks up, up, down, and a soup of temporary particles) and neutrons (quarks up, down, down, and a soup of temporary particles). Protons, neutrons, and other exotic particles made of quarks exist because the strong force binds their components together.

Atoms are similar, only more complicated, because it's the "residual" part of the strong force that binds protons and neutrons together; some models of atomic interactions dispense with the complex strong force altogether, and modelize the "nuclear force" as protons and neutrons exchanging pions (the lightest particle made of quarks) with each other. As far as the strong force is concerned, there's not much difference between neutrons and protons, they are just "bags" of quarks.

So, neutron-neutron, proton-proton and neutron-proton can interact through the strong force.

Addendum: the electromagnetic interaction is not the only mechanism that tries to split atoms apart. The other is Pauli repulsion (it also goes by other names). The basic concept is that two fermions can't be in the same quantum state, so if you want two protons (resp. neutrons) in an atom, they must have different energies. So as an atom becomes larger, the extra protons (resp. neutrons) in the atom must have increasingly large energies. And because matter tries to minimize its energy, that means that the extra protons (resp. neutrons) will try to leave the atom. The strong force is what keeps them together.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 01:36:35 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #3195 on: February 20, 2015, 02:06:35 pm »

The strong interaction is a force between quarks and gluons, mediated by gluons. Quarks are the thingies that make up protons (quarks up, up, down, and a soup of temporary particles) and neutrons (quarks up, down, down, and a soup of temporary particles). Protons, neutrons, and other exotic particles made of quarks exist because the strong force binds their components together.

Atoms are similar, only more complicated, because it's the "residual" part of the strong force that binds protons and neutrons together; some models of atomic interactions dispense with the complex strong force altogether, and modelize the "nuclear force" as protons and neutrons exchanging pions (the lightest particle made of quarks) with each other. As far as the strong force is concerned, there's not much difference between neutrons and protons, they are just "bags" of quarks.

So, neutron-neutron, proton-proton and neutron-proton can interact through the strong force.

Addendum: the electromagnetic interaction is not the only mechanism that tries to split atoms apart. The other is Pauli repulsion (it also goes by other names). The basic concept is that two fermions can't be in the same quantum state, so if you want two protons (resp. neutrons) in an atom, they must have different energies. So as an atom becomes larger, the extra protons (resp. neutrons) in the atom must have increasingly large energies. And because matter tries to minimize its energy, that means that the extra protons (resp. neutrons) will try to leave the atom. The strong force is what keeps them together.
The Force is strong with this one?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: February 20, 2015, 02:11:28 pm »

The Force is strong with atom.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: February 20, 2015, 02:15:29 pm »
+2

Title text: "Of these four forces, there's one we don't really understand." "Is it the weak force or the strong--" "It's gravity."

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: February 20, 2015, 02:17:22 pm »
+1

They can't all be the strongest force ever.

I was going to give you a +1 for this one, but I used up all my mouseclicks making it readable.

Nonetheless, I say to you:  very nicely done.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: February 20, 2015, 02:18:36 pm »

You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 230  All

Page created in 2.504 seconds with 21 queries.