Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226462 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #2825 on: January 30, 2015, 09:11:03 am »
+3

Does anyone recommend anything in Dallas?

What kinds of stuff are you interested in, and how long are you in town?

Arrive on a Monday, fly out on Friday.

Things to see (evenings), maybe some good shopping, especially restaurants.

"Things to see" is kinda vague, but I'll try.

There's Dealey plaza, you can go see the Grassy Knoll, the Sixth-Floor Museum, which used to be the Texas Schoolbook Repository, where Oswald shot Kennedy from (if you aren't a conspiracy theorist - if you are and thus don't believe the Oswald story, I refer you again to the Grassy Knoll, though really, it's not very impressive); it's now a museum about, essentially, the Kennedy assassination. There's a Holocaust museum you could look up. The SMU campus has Bush 43's Presidential Library. If you're into art, there's the Dallas Museum of Art and the Nasher Sculpture Garden. There's an Opera house whose name escapes me at the moment. Dallas Symphony Orchestra plays at the Meyerson. There are several little theaters around, though I don't really know any to recommend. I guess the one I heard about most recently was the Wylie theater which is supposed to have some kind of interesting/progressive stuff, but that's just from what I hear. There's a Natural Sciences and history museum named after Ross Perot, which I've only heard good things about (though I wasn't very impressed with it - I think it's because I have my degree in Physics, so get annoyed at their oversimplifications; it's intended for children, but I hear most adults like it). Shopping I don't know a lot about, but I think the 'it' place to shop is the Galleria. Or maybe now it's the Shops at Willow Bend, though that's a little ways north.

Restaurants, I know there are a lot, but I've never eaten out tons, and when I do, I usually don't spend all that much. The one recommendation I could make, assuming you are happy spending a fair amount, would be Bob's Steak and Chophouse. Get something with a glazed carrot - surprisingly good. iirc, entrees are kind of $40-60 there, which is really above my price range. If you want to go REALLY high-end, the super expensive place is supposed to be Three Forks. There's also supposed to be a good Wolfgang Puck Restaurant at the top of Reunion Tower, but again, I've never been there.

If you're looking for more Texas-y things to do, and don't mind going a little ways, you can head to Fort Worth, where you can go see the Stockyards, or Sundance Square. You can also go to the Mesquite Championship Rodeo (probably that's not all year-round?), which is the rodeo you'd want to see, if you want to see a rodeo.

Dallas and Fort Worth both have zoos. Dallas Zoo has supposedly gotten a bunch better recently, but Ft Worth Zoo is better - and very good. Along those lines, you could go see the Dallas World Aquarium, which honestly I'd probably prefer to either zoo.

That's all I've got off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

Most of all, dress clothes for a variety of climes - weather flips 40+ degrees Fahrenheit within a 24 hour time span REGULARLY. Well, unless you're coming mid-summer. Then it will just be hot, no question.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: January 30, 2015, 11:04:34 am »

Oh my God is that for real ?

Edit : My best friend Google confirms it is. That's... wow.
I didn't see it on the first look, but when I saw this post I looked back and it was immediately obvious... so I can see how the mistake was made.
I didn't get it on first or second look, mainly because I didn't see the word Dallas, but also because I was just reading the "out of context" thread.  So, my first thought was about JFK's alleged proclivities.  My second thought was about his vision of putting a man on the moon, because he appears to be looking up. I know, it's lame, but if you weren't alive to see his speeches, you don't have a feel for the leadership qualities he projected when he spoke, and how energized you felt while listening to him.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: January 30, 2015, 02:25:04 pm »
+1

I saw a commercial of someone buying razor blades, and someone at the cash register said they sucked or something. It cut off, and this happened twice during the Patriots Ravens game. :/

It was really odd.

Brady and Bellicheck obviously got to the Ads before they went on air (But after the watchdog approved them) to edit them to be a little bit shorter
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: January 30, 2015, 02:28:53 pm »
+1

I saw a commercial of someone buying razor blades, and someone at the cash register said they sucked or something. It cut off, and this happened twice during the Patriots Ravens game. :/

It was really odd.

Brady and Bellicheck obviously got to the Ads before they went on air (But after the watchdog approved them) to edit them to be a little bit shorter

I guess that deflates the ad's chances of making it to the Super Bowl.

This picture pretty much sums up how excited I am for the Super Bowl this year:

Like, I've never not been excited for the Super Bowl before. Both teams are dirty cheaters. I wish there was a way neither of these teams win.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 02:32:22 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: January 30, 2015, 02:57:23 pm »

Donald decides to bake us a cake.  Its base is 30cm square, and it's 10cm high.  How can he cut it to share it equally between the first 9 to reply?

Donald decided to bake us another cake of the same shape, and covers the top and sides with chocolate.  How can he cut it to share the cake and the chocolate equally between the first 9 to reply?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 03:32:30 pm by qmech »

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: January 30, 2015, 02:59:04 pm »
+4

Donald decides to bake us a cake.  Its base is 30cm square, and it's 10cm high.  How can he cut it to share it equally between the first 9 to reply?

Donald decided to bake us another cake of the same shame, and covers the top and sides with chocolate.  How can he cut it to share the cake and the chocolate equally between the first 9 to reply?

I would argue that once the second cake had the top and sides covered with chocolate, the two cakes are not the same shame.  The second cake is more shameful.
Posting begets posting.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: January 30, 2015, 03:23:55 pm »
+3

This picture pretty much sums up how excited I am for the Super Bowl this year:

A man has no signature

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: January 30, 2015, 03:25:57 pm »

Donald decided to bake us another cake of the same shame, and covers the top and sides with chocolate.  How can he cut it to share the cake and the chocolate equally between the first 9 to reply?

This problem is cute but I've been spoiled on the answer a long time ago.

Measure around the perimeter of the square. Make markings when you've travelled 1/9th of the way around the square, then cut from those markings to the center of the square.

Proof:

The volume of each slice is the height times the base. The height of each slice is the same. The area of the base is 1/2 * 15 cm * length of perimeter for this piece. If the part of the perimeter is all on one side, it's a triangle and this is pretty clear. If it's split across multiple sides, you can divide that piece into triangles and get the same result.

So, the volume of each slice is the same. For the surface area, you can show the amount of chocolate is: area of base + height * perimeter of the piece. We showed the bases of each piece have the same area, and the perimeter/height of each piece is the same too, so it also evenly splits the chocolate.

As a side note, this works for cutting any regular-polygon into any number of pieces.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #2833 on: January 30, 2015, 04:21:49 pm »
+4

I'm just replying because I want in on this cake deal.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: January 30, 2015, 09:34:53 pm »
+1

We're playing Pathfinder Iron Gods this Sunday. People are like, "You ready for the big game on Sunday?" and I'm like, "Hell yeah, fifth level, bitches!"
A man has no signature

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #2835 on: January 30, 2015, 11:27:41 pm »

There's Dealey plaza, you can go see the Grassy Knoll, the Sixth-Floor Museum, which used to be the Texas Schoolbook Repository, where Oswald shot Kennedy from (if you aren't a conspiracy theorist - if you are and thus don't believe the Oswald story, I refer you again to the Grassy Knoll, though really, it's not very impressive); it's now a museum about, essentially, the Kennedy assassination. There's a Holocaust museum you could look up. The SMU campus has Bush 43's Presidential Library. If you're into art, there's the Dallas Museum of Art and the Nasher Sculpture Garden. There's an Opera house whose name escapes me at the moment. Dallas Symphony Orchestra plays at the Meyerson. There are several little theaters around, though I don't really know any to recommend. I guess the one I heard about most recently was the Wylie theater which is supposed to have some kind of interesting/progressive stuff, but that's just from what I hear. There's a Natural Sciences and history museum named after Ross Perot, which I've only heard good things about (though I wasn't very impressed with it - I think it's because I have my degree in Physics, so get annoyed at their oversimplifications; it's intended for children, but I hear most adults like it). Shopping I don't know a lot about, but I think the 'it' place to shop is the Galleria. Or maybe now it's the Shops at Willow Bend, though that's a little ways north.

Restaurants, I know there are a lot, but I've never eaten out tons, and when I do, I usually don't spend all that much. The one recommendation I could make, assuming you are happy spending a fair amount, would be Bob's Steak and Chophouse. Get something with a glazed carrot - surprisingly good. iirc, entrees are kind of $40-60 there, which is really above my price range. If you want to go REALLY high-end, the super expensive place is supposed to be Three Forks. There's also supposed to be a good Wolfgang Puck Restaurant at the top of Reunion Tower, but again, I've never been there.

If you're looking for more Texas-y things to do, and don't mind going a little ways, you can head to Fort Worth, where you can go see the Stockyards, or Sundance Square. You can also go to the Mesquite Championship Rodeo (probably that's not all year-round?), which is the rodeo you'd want to see, if you want to see a rodeo.

Dallas and Fort Worth both have zoos. Dallas Zoo has supposedly gotten a bunch better recently, but Ft Worth Zoo is better - and very good. Along those lines, you could go see the Dallas World Aquarium, which honestly I'd probably prefer to either zoo.

Most of all, dress clothes for a variety of climes - weather flips 40+ degrees Fahrenheit within a 24 hour time span REGULARLY. Well, unless you're coming mid-summer. Then it will just be hot, no question.

Thanks! This is great.

As for food, I'm into dives, local spots, etc.

Oh, and any Texas BBQ to recommend?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: January 31, 2015, 09:53:18 am »

Wars have been started in Texas over that question.  I'll just say that if you like barbeque from anywhere else in the country, Texas BBQ will be....... different.

All of WW's suggestions are good ones, but I'd like to second one in particular that may come as a surprise.  If you have never been to a rodeo, it's worth going.  Even if you are the kind of person who thinks they won't like a rodeo, I'd wager you would be surprised. There is a lot of athleticism being exhibited, and not all of it is from humans. It's a wonderful combination of brute force and finesse - big things and small details. The only downside is that it is typically a 3 to 4 hour commitment, if that is important.
Posting begets posting.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: January 31, 2015, 11:43:57 am »

All of WW's suggestions are good ones, but I'd like to second one in particular that may come as a surprise.  If you have never been to a rodeo, it's worth going.  Even if you are the kind of person who thinks they won't like a rodeo, I'd wager you would be surprised. There is a lot of athleticism being exhibited, and not all of it is from humans. It's a wonderful combination of brute force and finesse - big things and small details. The only downside is that it is typically a 3 to 4 hour commitment, if that is important.

Out of curiosity, is it nigh impossible to leave a rodeo in the middle? Most events that are that long can at least be left in the middle if necessary. Is there a parking situation that makes getting out early a pain in the ass?
A man has no signature

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: January 31, 2015, 04:06:58 pm »

Out of curiosity, is it nigh impossible to leave a rodeo in the middle? Most events that are that long can at least be left in the middle if necessary. Is there a parking situation that makes getting out early a pain in the ass?

Not that I'm aware of.  I suspect there are people who leave after their favorite event, and I suspect that there are people who arrive late to skip the events they don't care about.  I've only been to about 4 in Texas, but they all seemed to run the events in the same order, and each started with an event I was careful not to miss - barrel racing.
Posting begets posting.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2839 on: January 31, 2015, 05:04:20 pm »

I'm getting better at this!

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: January 31, 2015, 10:27:58 pm »
+9

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: January 31, 2015, 10:35:05 pm »
+9

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: January 31, 2015, 10:36:19 pm »

pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: February 01, 2015, 01:45:36 am »

So, is my brother right to get mad at me for sequence breaking in Super Metroid by walljumping?  I've gotten a couple missile tanks and the wave beam before I was supposed to already.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: February 01, 2015, 02:28:49 am »
+1

So, is my brother right to get mad at me for sequence breaking in Super Metroid by walljumping?  I've gotten a couple missile tanks and the wave beam before I was supposed to already.

As a person who has done speedruns, no.

The argument that you shouldn't sequence break is even weaker for Super Metroid than for other games - if I remember correctly, Super Metroid has special endings for beating the game with as few items as possible. Doing so requires you to do some sequence breaks that the devs themselves found out.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: February 01, 2015, 07:20:03 am »

The argument that you shouldn't sequence break is even weaker for Super Metroid than for other games - if I remember correctly, Super Metroid has special endings for beating the game with as few items as possible. Doing so requires you to do some sequence breaks that the devs themselves found out.

Isn't Super Metroid the one where bomb jumping basically lets you pick and choose what you want to do next?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:04:37 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2846 on: February 01, 2015, 07:58:25 am »

Thanks! This is great.

As for food, I'm into dives, local spots, etc.

There are several places, mostly chains. I don't have any super-particular recommendations. Spring Creek is usually where I go when I get barbecue, but it's not that I think it's particularly better than wherever else.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: February 01, 2015, 01:00:37 pm »

Super Metroid's endings are for finishing in under 9 hours (okay ending) or finishing in under 3 hours (good ending). Item percent never matters. You're thinking of Zero Mission, which has low% rewards.

Super Metroid specifically doesn't seem to have been set up with the intent that you break it, however it is often possible. Single wall wall jumps I don't think were a planned feature (at least I don't think there's any evidence they were), it just happens that because you can turn around in the air, you can do them. This lets you get a few things early, such as Wave. Most of the sequence breaks in the game involve either exploiting glitches, or using mechanics in ways that were never intended (such as single wall jumps).

Why is your brother mad at you for playing a game the way you want to play it? Just spite him further, quick kill Kraid and skip Spore Spawn.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: February 01, 2015, 06:13:48 pm »
+1

Is it me or did Seagawks come out to Bittersweet Symphony by the verve?!

Great song but not the right choice I feel...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: February 02, 2015, 06:48:33 am »
+3

WHAT.

If you are currently following Darths and Droids: what in the world just happened? I completely did not expect this, but after reading some analysis it's plausible and brilliant.

If you are not following Darths and Droids: start it. But, skip directly to http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0001.html and bypass the homepage for at least a week (possibly 2 or 3) while the current twist gets resolved.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 230  All

Page created in 2.429 seconds with 22 queries.