Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226063 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #2550 on: January 08, 2015, 04:45:44 pm »
+3

i thought the movies were OK, but they don't stand out to me enough to say one is better than another.  Books aren't always better than the movie, but they certainly are with Harry Potter. 

I do remember being disappointed with Goblet of Fire.  It was my favourite of the books, but the length of the movie vs. the book definitely meant a lot had to be cut.  There were some changes that stood out a lot to me.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: January 08, 2015, 05:04:10 pm »

I only watched like half the movies. Was generally extremely unimpressed. I recall that PoA was just ruined for me by the stupid looking werewolf.

It doesn't take much for you to ruin a movie then...
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: January 08, 2015, 05:22:09 pm »
+5

Security issues.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: January 08, 2015, 05:33:40 pm »

i thought the movies were OK, but they don't stand out to me enough to say one is better than another.  Books aren't always better than the movie, but they certainly are with Harry Potter. 

I do remember being disappointed with Goblet of Fire.  It was my favourite of the books, but the length of the movie vs. the book definitely meant a lot had to be cut.  There were some changes that stood out a lot to me.
And this is why I think goblet of fire was the worst movie

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: January 08, 2015, 05:45:09 pm »

Also, I just finished reading Golden Son, the sequel to Red Rising, and wow... I don't know what to do with myself now... It's like finishing a GoT all over again (which I did about a week ago)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: January 08, 2015, 08:56:57 pm »
+1

Poker is over.  Well, at least Texas Hold-em is.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/game-theorists-crack-poker/
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: January 08, 2015, 09:00:40 pm »
+2

Poker is over.  Well, at least Texas Hold-em is.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/game-theorists-crack-poker/
*two player limit texas hold-em

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: January 08, 2015, 10:02:35 pm »

incapable of losing against any opponent in a fair game”.

eh... that's impossible, because you can just have better cards? or does fair mean everyone has the same luck? no game is fair then.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: January 08, 2015, 10:04:21 pm »

Of course, no poker algorithm can be mathematically guaranteed to win every game, because the game involves a large element of chance based on the hand you’re dealt. But Bowling and his colleagues have demonstrated that their algorithm always wins in the long run.

ah, fair enough

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: January 08, 2015, 10:16:43 pm »
+4

Michael Bowling and his colleagues at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada, along with Finnish software developer Oskari Tammelin, plays perfectly, to all intents and purposes.

We've found Eevee, I think.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: January 08, 2015, 10:44:00 pm »
+1

Michael Bowling and his colleagues at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada, along with Finnish software developer Oskari Tammelin, plays perfectly, to all intents and purposes.

We've found Eevee, I think.

Let's go to his door, ring the doorbell and run! Teeheehee!

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: January 09, 2015, 01:22:41 am »

I feel like the article leaves out the most interesting part: how does the bot play?  How often does it bluff?  How often does it slow play?  How aggressive is it?  How important is position?  What percentage of hands does it play?  How often does it take the pot with the weaker hand?  And for me the most interesting question would be, if it plays against itself, what percentage of hands make it to showdown?

It's pretty surprising to me that limit hold 'em is now solved (even only for heads up), I would have guessed at least another 5-10 years.  But still, I think we're a long, long way off from solving no limit hold 'em, which is a much more interesting and popular game anyway.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: January 09, 2015, 02:06:05 am »
+1

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/600997

What happens when you combine me with boredom, 80s synths, and an actual videogame track I'm supposed to be making.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: January 09, 2015, 03:59:55 am »
+1

I feel like the article leaves out the most interesting part: how does the bot play?  How often does it bluff?  How often does it slow play?  How aggressive is it?  How important is position?  What percentage of hands does it play?  How often does it take the pot with the weaker hand?  And for me the most interesting question would be, if it plays against itself, what percentage of hands make it to showdown?

After Googling around, it seems like the original paper has some stats on how it plays - for instance, it called on the first action 0.06% of the time. The actual paper is going to be trickier to get access to.

I'm not sure if that's from a large sample of possible states, or explicitly from every possible state. For qualitative questions, it's very hard to quantify some of them, and it's entirely possible the bot pays wildly differently on states that appear to be similar in value, so at best you can hope that you can play the bot yourself somehow...
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: January 09, 2015, 09:49:15 am »
+2

I actually met this guy last summer; he said he had it down to one milli-big blind off the nash equilibrium, but hadn't published yet. I guess now he has :P

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: January 09, 2015, 01:24:49 pm »

I actually met this guy last summer; he said he had it down to one milli-big blind off the nash equilibrium, but hadn't published yet. I guess now he has :P

Huh - my impression was that it wasn't the exact solution to the nash equilibirum, and was generated from a very, very large sample of actual game states of poker. Maybe I'm wrong though. Or, maybe they did it over all states, and worked on it til convergence. That way, it's not necessarily exactly perfect because of built-in limitations to how accurately the computer can represent decimals, but it's close enough to not even matter.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: January 09, 2015, 01:36:58 pm »

Huh - my impression was that it wasn't the exact solution to the nash equilibirum, and was generated from a very, very large sample of actual game states of poker. Maybe I'm wrong though. Or, maybe they did it over all states, and worked on it til convergence. That way, it's not necessarily exactly perfect because of built-in limitations to how accurately the computer can represent decimals, but it's close enough to not even matter.

The "poker is solved" headline has been giving me mathematical twinges too.  Going on nothing else but the news coverage, this is roughly what I'm imagining has happened.

I've a vague idea I heard once that, in the same way that there's an algorithm that will provide a proof for any provable statement, there's an algorithm that is asymptotically optimal at playing games (or maybe it was trading, or perhaps there's no difference).  The idea is that you just try all of the possible strategies and measure how well they all do, and spend progressively more of your time using the better ones.  So what I imagine is that an algorithm like this has been run on this type of poker for a really long time, and that all of the clever work has gone into making it remotely computationally feasible.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: January 09, 2015, 01:41:21 pm »

Right, the exact perfect strategy isn't known, but I guess it is known just how good it is. Their solution loses on average 1000th of a big blind each hand against a perfect strategy.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: January 09, 2015, 06:33:44 pm »

If you (or your educational institution) have the proper subscriptions, you can find the paper here: http://www.sciencemag.org/content/347/6218/145
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: January 09, 2015, 10:07:09 pm »
+3

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: January 09, 2015, 10:11:25 pm »

For some reason Elanchana's message isn't marked as read for me, even though I read it several times and even hit the mark all as read button. Weird.

Edit: Fixed now that I posted. Still weird.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2571 on: January 09, 2015, 10:13:05 pm »

For some reason Elanchana's message isn't marked as read for me, even though I read it several times and even hit the mark all as read button. Weird.

Are you sure you didn't hit the "mark unread" button by accident?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: January 09, 2015, 10:14:42 pm »

Are you sure you didn't hit the "mark unread" button by accident?

Quite certain. Oh well, it seems to be fixed now; your post did not have that problem.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: January 09, 2015, 10:40:07 pm »

That's just your subconscious telling you you missed something important in her message.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: January 09, 2015, 10:43:50 pm »

Edit: Fixed now that I posted. Still weird.

It's happened to me several times before too...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 230  All

Page created in 2.247 seconds with 21 queries.