Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226607 times)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #2225 on: December 06, 2014, 06:16:50 am »

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: December 06, 2014, 06:36:05 am »

All I Want for Christmas Is You
The best pop Christmas song.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: December 06, 2014, 07:28:49 am »
+1

The best pop Christmas song.

Thanks Ozle, I have to learn that for a gig tonight... in Nashville!
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: December 06, 2014, 09:29:20 am »

The best second worst pop Christmas song.

FTFY

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: December 06, 2014, 10:26:12 am »
+5

A lot of Christmas music may be crap. But I love the old school carols that make me feel like I'm in medieval Europe. Adeste Fideles is really solid. Probably my favorite is God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. Coventry Carol is beautiful and slightly disturbing.

One year I decided to make a figgy pudding, and carolers actually showed up demanding figgy pudding. I think they were suitably impressed.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: December 06, 2014, 02:02:35 pm »
+3

Whenever I hear "little drummer boy" I always think he's saying "Rum pum pum pum, me and my bum." I can't unhear it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: December 06, 2014, 02:28:05 pm »

Rum tum tugger!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: December 07, 2014, 01:39:29 am »
+1

Firefly is a pretty strong, character-driven show. It takes place in space, but it's more like a western. That's odd for me to say because I am not a fan of westerns.

It has space themes, and they try to adhere to physics well enough (no sound in space, killing the engines doesn't mean you stop, etc.), but I wouldn't say it's too hard of sci-fi to chase off people who don't like sci-fi. All you can do is watch a couple of episodes and see if they're up your alley.

I think Shindig and the Train Job (see, western) are really great episodes for a newcomer to watch. They sucked me in. Naturally you'll want to eventually see the pilot so you can see how some of the characters came on board, but I think you can do fine watching either one of those episodes without the context of other episodes.
A man has no signature

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: December 07, 2014, 06:55:00 am »

Add me to the "absolutely never ever watch Firefly" camp.  I've seen the entire series and the movie, so I am speaking from experience.

I'm also a huge Buffy/Angel/Avengers fan, so it's not like I'm a Whedon hater.  I'm also partial to a number of actors on the show, as they've been in some of my favorite series at other times (Baccarin, Staite specifically, but of course the entire cast was on Buffy/Angel at some point).

It's just a terrible, terrible, terrible show.  (That's a grand exaggeration, by the way.  It's not all that terrible.  It's just that the only way to combat the extreme fanboi love of most Firefly fans is to really go to the other end of the spectrum.)

If you are a huge fan of a show bashing you in the face with the horrendous gimmick of using Mandarin Chinese to replace swear words (it's worse than the "frack" thing in Battlestar), then by all means, watch the show.

But really, don't ever watch it.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: December 07, 2014, 09:29:08 am »
+2

It's important to remember that only one season exists. Since when is the first season ever the best season? Since never. It's not so much that the episodes that exist are really good (they're ok) , it's the missed potential of a promising series.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: December 07, 2014, 01:13:31 pm »
+3

If you are a huge fan of a show bashing you in the face with the horrendous gimmick of using Mandarin Chinese to replace swear words (it's worse than the "frack" thing in Battlestar), then by all means, watch the show.

This was your takeaway from Firefly...?
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2236 on: December 07, 2014, 06:30:23 pm »

Don't know how many of you are interested in heavier stuff, but here's another cover by me. And no, the previous ones weren't heavy. This one is.

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: December 07, 2014, 06:51:24 pm »

@ash : Besides the mandarin thing, which I'd agree is cute at first, but not very well executed and a little grating after a while, why do you have against the show ?
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: December 07, 2014, 09:06:53 pm »
+2

I do agree that the swear replacement in Firefly can get old, but I also view it as a cultural shift. Languages evolve all the time. Just look at how language was changed for A Clockwork Orange. Actually, A Clockwork Orange handles that way better than Firefly, which seems to only change swear words while not changing anything else.

But you get over it (unless you're ashersky, apparently).
A man has no signature

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: December 08, 2014, 11:36:16 am »

I do agree that the swear replacement in Firefly can get old, but I also view it as a cultural shift. Languages evolve all the time. Just look at how language was changed for A Clockwork Orange. Actually, A Clockwork Orange handles that way better than Firefly, which seems to only change swear words while not changing anything else.

Well, A Clockwork Orange is a masterpiece. Being worse than it does not really mean that much. I have not seen Firefly, so please, do not take this as a judgement of how masterpiece-y Firefly is.

BTW, the Spanish translation of the title actually means "The Clockwork Orange" instead of "A".

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: December 08, 2014, 11:41:45 am »

The French translation forgeoes the article entirely, it's just "Orange Mécanique".

@Kuildeous : Yeah, that's the point of the mandarin thing, but it's half-assed, becase everyone still speaks English. SUre, they have a few specific words like "shiny" and "gorram" but really it's impossible to handle language evolution realistically so it ends up just being a gimmick.

Which I'm not too bothered with, but I can see ash's point. I doubt that's the onlything he has against the show though.

If you think about it, the way fantasy handles languages in general is really dumb. The whole idea of a "common tongue" which is very often used is pretty ridiculous : try walking around 14th century Europe speaking only latin, good luck getting understood by anyone other than monks.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: December 08, 2014, 11:44:19 am »
+2

If you think about it, the way fantasy handles languages in general is really dumb. The whole idea of a "common tongue" which is very often used is pretty ridiculous : try walking around 14th century Europe speaking only latin, good luck getting understood by anyone other than monks.

I wanted to experiment this, but those damn airlines are only selling tickets to 21st century Europe.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: December 08, 2014, 12:13:08 pm »
+1

The French translation forgeoes the article entirely, it's just "Orange Mécanique".

@Kuildeous : Yeah, that's the point of the mandarin thing, but it's half-assed, becase everyone still speaks English. SUre, they have a few specific words like "shiny" and "gorram" but really it's impossible to handle language evolution realistically so it ends up just being a gimmick.

Which I'm not too bothered with, but I can see ash's point. I doubt that's the onlything he has against the show though.

Yeah, I think I'd prefer the very alien environment to continue using contemporary language if it's not going to go all out. Battlestar Galactica was mentioned, and I have to admit that I cringed every time I heard "frak." It doesn't strike me as a curse word, even though it was used interchangeably with "fuck." Farscape did the same thing, only it makes even less sense to use "frell" in place of "fuck" because the little Babel fish that was injected into Crichton really should just translate it correctly so he never hears "frell."

The "common" tongue is a convenient conceit that allows the story to progress without bogging it down with linguistic gymnastics. It's not realistic, but it provides greater entertainment. Star Trek wouldn't be nearly as interesting if Worf had to have a translator on bridge with him. Sometimes, a story plays up the language barrier, which can still be amusing.

There's an RPG called Witch Hunter which takes place in the 16th century. The publishers tried to be somewhat historically accurate by allowing for different languages, but it's a real buzzkill when you have characters traveling to London who don't speak English. For that matter, they perhaps can only barely speak to each other. The Spanish monk can speak Latin to the French scholar who can then translate it to Arabic adventurer who can then translate it to his American Indian that he befriended on his travels. That shit gets old real fast in an RPG.
A man has no signature

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: December 08, 2014, 12:24:09 pm »
+1

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: December 08, 2014, 01:57:34 pm »

I finished watching Season 2 of Homeland. I was pretty disappointed about the episode where someone gets killed by hacking his step maker at first. It seemed really far-fetched to me and destroyed the believability of the story.
Then I googled to find out wether others felts similarly, and it turned out that this could indeed happen. That really baffles me.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: December 08, 2014, 02:05:38 pm »
+1

Re: Homeland, is "step maker" supposed to mean "pace maker"?

The main thing that bothered me about the Chinese in Firefly is that it was all pronounced really poorly. You can fudge that as more language evolution, but it always sounded wrong to me.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: December 08, 2014, 03:16:41 pm »

Re: Homeland, is "step maker" supposed to mean "pace maker"?

Yeah, that's what I meant.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.598 seconds with 21 queries.