Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226822 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #2000 on: November 25, 2014, 09:23:18 am »

I've only programmed with Basic languages and both <> and != sound familiar. Never had to use /= or ~=.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: November 25, 2014, 09:28:06 am »
+2

Dream Time. This one was clearly inspired by a piece of fanfiction that I read about a week ago, so here is what happens there: the main characters summon a fictional character from a novel. she is supposed to be like a machine, able to talk and answer questions but without feelings and self-conscience, and the spell is only supposed to just last three weeks and then "send her back into the story" (i.e. killing her because the story is not real). Something goes wrong, and she is really alive. at some point she has a talk with her creator about all of this, and it turns out that she doesn't have a pulse, or a heart, or blood, or even bones, but is still sentient (they then decide to keep her alive and in the end she dies for reasons, but that's not important for the dream.)

So, in the dream I had to prepare for a test/exam (I think for school (although I don't go to school anymore)). It was about this real person that is living in the real world. He/she (further called it) was created by accident, and it is the only person that ever lived significantly longer than a normal life spawn, in fact it has been alive for hundreds of years and is essentially immortal (someone was telling me all of this the day before the exam to prepare me for it). Although it hasn't done anything evil, many people fear or hate it, simply because it doesn't consist of flesh but instead of a kind of solid gold under normal-looking skin. The name of this creature is XerxesPraelor. I never got to write the exam though, the dream ended before that.

the dream was sorta nightmare-ish, so now the name of XP has this kind of scary tone...

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: November 25, 2014, 09:40:20 am »
+1

the dream was sorta nightmare-ish, so now the name of XP has this kind of scary tone...

I feel the same way about Vista
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2003 on: November 25, 2014, 09:51:04 am »

Vista was great.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1185
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: November 25, 2014, 11:40:27 am »
+1

Vista was great.

They can't all be the best OS ever.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2005 on: November 25, 2014, 11:51:54 am »

I mean, Vista had its problems, but at least ASIO4ALL2 worked on it. Now I'm using Windows 7 and it might or might not work depending on its mood and if it doesn't, the only way to fix it is changing a couple of settings, rebooting your computer, rebooting again, praying to 16 different gods from different religions, rebooting your mixer and your guitar amp, changing back to the original settings, changing your media player settings, giving up, figuring out an inconvenient way to do whatever it was that you were going to do without having to use ASIO4ALL2 and doing it like that and once you're finished, the next time you reboot your computer, it probably works again but now your media player settings suck.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: November 25, 2014, 11:54:35 am »

You know what really grinds my gears?  When people do things that they recognize is more complicated and do it anyways.

Example:  Me writing a MATLAB script, I use "!=" to mean "not equals", like every other programming language out there.  It puts a red squiggly under that telling me it is wrong.  I mouse over it and it says "In MATLAB, Not equals is represented by '~='"  Really?  You recognize what I'm trying to do, even took the time to code a tip telling me I was wrong.  Why not just use the standard most other languages use? Ugh

MATLAB actually does that a lot. It tries to conform to standard mathematical notations (like ~ for not), but there's no reason it shouldnt accept standard programming notation as well. I actually have the opposite problem though. Almost all of my coding is in MATLAB so when I code in a real language, it takes me a while to debug sometimes for stupid MATLABy reasons.

I would say ¬ is the standard for boolean not. ~ is the standard for bitwise not.

BTW, I am not sure how standard != is, but I guess just C/C++, Java and Python are enough to call it standard. I remember at least <> and /= being used as well for "not equals to".
Hmm...I believe <> is used for not equals in OCL (object constraint language), which is an extension of UML diagrams. <> might also represent not equals in Prolog and /= might be in Lisp.

Objective-C uses != too. I think != is an Object-Oriented thing.

You know what grinds my gears? Coding in MATLAB. Period. It's too quick and dirty for my tastes, and yet it's so powerful what with all those Matrix Computations. MATLAB is really good for numerical methods analysis though. Simulink is pretty nifty as well.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: November 25, 2014, 12:10:45 pm »
+2

So, fun MATLAB story.  For my thesis I had to do a little root finding method.  Basically Newton's Method in many dimensions.  So, make a big matrix, compute a big "derivative" matrix, solve Ax=b to find the direction to go. The variables I was solving for were coefficients in a basis expansion (basis elements were spherical harmonics).  I was only looking for real solutions, but the solver would actually go off the real axis before converging on a real solution, even with real initial data.  In certain situations, there would always be a really weird reflection in some sense that essentially amounted to a sign issue.  I couldn't figure out what it was, so I ended up just adding a negative sign to "fix" the problem.  It didn't make any sense to me, but the answer was right so I let it sit like that for a while.  (I only had to do the computation some of the time.. the bulk of the work was just proofs.) 

Finally towards the end of the thesis I went back to it and had to adjust some of the code.  I still came across this confusing sign issue.  Finally I realized that I was taking matrix transposes with the '  operator (i.e., A' for transpose(A)) because, well, I assumed that was the transpose and it seemed like it was.  But, A' is really the conjugate transpose, and A.' is the nonconjugate transpose.  I didn't need the conjugate; I only needed to switch rows and columns for the dimensions to correspond correctly.  Of course, this made all i's into -i's, and this gave rise to the reflection issue in those situations.  I felt pretty silly after I realized it.

(If you're wondering why i -> -i gave rise as a reflection issue, it's because part of the basis functions were of the form e^{m i x} for m = -N, ..., 0 , ..., N.  So, flipping i to -i flipped m to -m, which made those basis functions mismatch with the other m's.  The solver converged to real solutions, so the complex component was always 0, so when looking at the solution you couldn't really see the i to -i issue.)

tl;dr; I used conjugate transpose instead of transpose (' instead of .') without realizing it and hacked a fix to correct it without discovering the obvious reason for, like, years.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: November 25, 2014, 12:50:41 pm »

Hmm...I believe <> is used for not equals in OCL (object constraint language), which is an extension of UML diagrams. <> might also represent not equals in Prolog and /= might be in Lisp.

How young are you? != is of course popular due to C and/or Perl (and maybe earlier than that?). <> goes all the way back to Pascal and Cobol. Way before OO. Smalltalk is the first OO language with operators (I think), and it used, guess what? ~=...

About /=, I know it from Haskell, but it seems Lisp is the same, and, more importantly, Fortran!

So, this nonsense about (at least) 3 different "not equal to" operators is a really old issue of programming languages.

BTW, I am pretty melancholic nowadays, so this is great...

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: November 25, 2014, 01:27:54 pm »

Best part of my dominion program so far:

Code: [Select]
deck.unshift(deck.pop)
What is it?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: November 25, 2014, 01:30:49 pm »

How young are you? != is of course popular due to C and/or Perl (and maybe earlier than that?). <> goes all the way back to Pascal and Cobol

According to The Internet, the != first appeared in B, the precursor to C; it was apparently not in BCPL.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: November 25, 2014, 01:46:00 pm »

~= for unequal makes no sense though. it's like similar. /= would be okay, except I'm used to it meaning "divide itself with..."

I used to be all for <>, but that stops making sense once your elements aren't ordered anymore.

I think != is okay.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: November 25, 2014, 03:18:11 pm »

You know what really grinds my gears?  When people do things that they recognize is more complicated and do it anyways.

Example:  Me writing a MATLAB script, I use "!=" to mean "not equals", like every other programming language out there.  It puts a red squiggly under that telling me it is wrong.  I mouse over it and it says "In MATLAB, Not equals is represented by '~='"  Really?  You recognize what I'm trying to do, even took the time to code a tip telling me I was wrong.  Why not just use the standard most other languages use? Ugh

MATLAB actually does that a lot. It tries to conform to standard mathematical notations (like ~ for not), but there's no reason it shouldnt accept standard programming notation as well. I actually have the opposite problem though. Almost all of my coding is in MATLAB so when I code in a real language, it takes me a while to debug sometimes for stupid MATLABy reasons.

I would say ¬ is the standard for boolean not. ~ is the standard for bitwise not.

BTW, I am not sure how standard != is, but I guess just C/C++, Java and Python are enough to call it standard. I remember at least <> and /= being used as well for "not equals to".
I'm pretty sure I've used ~= for no caps sensitive string compare equals in c++, though that might have been object specific. Doesn't ~ usually mean approximately?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: November 25, 2014, 03:18:52 pm »

deck.unshift(deck.pop)
What is it?
It's it.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: November 25, 2014, 03:33:31 pm »

deck.unshift(deck.pop)
What is it?
Draw a card?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: November 25, 2014, 03:48:02 pm »
+5

There are too many different standards!  We need to make a new one which every language can adopt so they can all be consistent!

I propose:

&==

Because ampersands are all twisty and look like knots.  It is very intuitive.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: November 25, 2014, 04:45:23 pm »

I propose:

&==

But I already use that for modular addition in Haskell!

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: November 25, 2014, 04:57:26 pm »

I've only programmed with Basic languages and both <> and != sound familiar. Never had to use /= or ~=.
SAS programmer here. Don't forget ^= (because I do, and then I wonder why my code using != doesn't work).

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: November 25, 2014, 05:00:53 pm »
+1

My Python projects usually fail because I've used ^ for exponentiation.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: November 25, 2014, 05:04:15 pm »

I really, really like this drawing. I don't even know much about this character and this picture has almost convinced me to read the story he's from.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: November 25, 2014, 05:35:30 pm »

How young are you? != is of course popular due to C and/or Perl (and maybe earlier than that?). <> goes all the way back to Pascal and Cobol. Way before OO. Smalltalk is the first OO language with operators (I think), and it used, guess what? ~=...

About /=, I know it from Haskell, but it seems Lisp is the same, and, more importantly, Fortran!

So, this nonsense about (at least) 3 different "not equal to" operators is a really old issue of programming languages.

BTW, I am pretty melancholic nowadays, so this is great...
Uh, did I say something I should be embarassed about? For the record, I'm 23. The post I made was based on what I know from the Software Engineering courses I've been taking for the last couple of years.

Oh, and I've never actually seen any Smalltalk code.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 05:36:44 pm by markusin »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: November 25, 2014, 05:58:09 pm »
+9

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: November 25, 2014, 05:59:17 pm »

Uh, did I say something I should be embarassed about? For the record, I'm 23. The post I made was based on what I know from the Software Engineering courses I've been taking for the last couple of years.

Why would you be embarrassed about being young? I just like to play the "old guy" card whenever I can. I am newly old :).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2023 on: November 25, 2014, 06:06:05 pm »
+3

I just like to play the "old guy" card
Hermit?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: November 25, 2014, 06:08:08 pm »

deck.unshift(deck.pop)
What is it?
Draw a card?

Nope.  It's Pearl Diver.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 230  All

Page created in 2.266 seconds with 21 queries.