Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226619 times)

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #1950 on: November 17, 2014, 08:50:14 pm »

Work systems are Windows-based.  I had Ubuntu on my PC, but it died and I got a laptop.  Haven't bothered to put anything else on it.  Linux is only really aesthetic for me . there isn't much more of an advantage for what I do except that I like the look and feel.

That is by far the strangest OS opinion I have ever heard. May I ask what is that you do?

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: November 17, 2014, 09:07:16 pm »
+1

Um... lots of editors will syntax highlight.  I generally use MiKTeX as my LaTeX installation, which comes with the TeXWorks editor.   It generally works well, and syntax coloring is helpful.

Oh.. I just realized you probably meant highlight everything inside mathmode.  I don't know of any that do this, though I don't see why there couldn't be one.  But it would require some overhead of parsing your document as you type.

So, you will use LaTeX, but still cling on to windows? Why would you do that?

BTW, Geany syntax highlights all sorts of stuff, including LaTeX.

I prefer to write the code, but many people I know use Kyle, which has both syntax highlighting and WYSIWYG.

I'm not clinging to windows, I use software that doesn't work on linux. I dual-booted with ubuntu when I got my new laptop, but I couldn't get it onto the network where I was working this summer, so I never finished setting it up.

Geany is my editor for most everything and I figured it would do syntax highlighting for LaTeX too, but, again, haven't gotten around to setting it up. (sense a theme?)
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: November 17, 2014, 09:24:03 pm »
+3

Is this the first meme to become a legitimate movie?

[inigomontoya.jpg]

It's on Lifetime.
eHalcyon killed your father? :'(
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: November 17, 2014, 09:26:12 pm »

If you want to know why more people don't use LaTeX, read this thread. Even super people who use it don't use the right tools available for it properly. The learning curve is high.

In econ, it depends on your sub-field. Theory uses LaTeX almost exclusively. Presentations are usually done using Beamer. More empirical work uses Word. Whether you need to type a bunch of equations is usually the distinguishing feature of who uses LaTeX, it seems. When I use LaTeX, I use LyX.

Word with MathType is a quite excellent WYSIWYG environment, actually. Use styles, too, and it's pretty easy to get stuff looking great now. Heresy, I know.

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: November 17, 2014, 09:57:35 pm »

I think the other distinguishing feature is citations and references to figures. The last lab report I wrote I did in word and I spent way way too long at the end making sure all of my citation and figure references pointed to the right things. And then I realized I forgot to include a citation and had to do it all over again. Never again.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: November 17, 2014, 10:47:49 pm »

Work systems are Windows-based.  I had Ubuntu on my PC, but it died and I got a laptop.  Haven't bothered to put anything else on it.  Linux is only really aesthetic for me . there isn't much more of an advantage for what I do except that I like the look and feel.

That is by far the strangest OS opinion I have ever heard. May I ask what is that you do?

On my home computer?  Primarily just I just use a browser.  Netflix sometimes.  Every once and a while document editing.  Pretty limited use.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: November 17, 2014, 11:21:37 pm »
+3

What is "Sarnath"?  I keep seeing people say it instead of "ninja'd".  Is it some ninja from pop culture that I am unaware of?

He was a MiseTings (an MTG site/forum) user who was known for often beating people to the punch.
Not so! Don't just go by what mtgsal's wiki says, they don't even cite a source.

Sarnath was a MiseTings poster who was known for often posting the same thing just ahead of Gisgo - Gisgo, specifically. "Sarnath'd" caught on; "Gisgo'd," not so much. "Annorax'd" caught on to mean "I don't get it" - nothing to do with ninja-ing people. I was there and the mtgsal wiki writers apparently were not.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: November 18, 2014, 03:51:14 am »

Theory uses LaTeX almost exclusively.

I should hope so.

On revision control: what I want is a system that lets me say, "What did this file look like two weeks ago on Thursday?" but whenever I look into it that doesn't seem to be what they do.  (There's some large chain of diffs or something.)  Am I missing something?  What revision control system should I be looking at?

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: November 18, 2014, 04:21:34 am »
+1

Theory uses LaTeX almost exclusively.

I should hope so.

On revision control: what I want is a system that lets me say, "What did this file look like two weeks ago on Thursday?" but whenever I look into it that doesn't seem to be what they do.  (There's some large chain of diffs or something.)  Am I missing something?  What revision control system should I be looking at?

Okay, version control 101.

The idea of version control is that you have a long series of commits, or diffs. You can think of each commit as an operation which was applied to the previous version to get the next version. So for example, your commit could be "Add the line 'hello' to the end of file 'foobar'". More commonly, people think of a commit as a marker that says "I want to save my work up to this point", I'll explain why in a bit.

Once you have a series of commits, you can use software on top of it to get the system you want. The most common one nowadays is git, but that's not too important for the main idea.

Let's say you want to see the file from last week. Then, you can say, "From the current version, rewind the commits I made until I get to this version from last week". Since you have a record of every change you made, all you need to do is apply the operations from each commit in reverse. Note that you don't actually delete the commits you've made from the record. What you've done is traveled back along what's called the source tree. Whenever you want to go back to the most recent version, you can travel up the source tree to the last commit you made earlier, reapplying the commits you've made, and at the end it'll bring you to the version of the file you just left. This is why commits can be thought of as saving your work - whenever you make a new commit, you implicitly create a marker that lets you return to how the file looks right now, because once you've described exactly how you got here, anything can follow the steps you made and get the same result.

Essentially, version control stores a list/tree of operations to apply to files, rather than exact copies of the file at every point in time you want a backup. Whenever you want to see a version of the file, it applies/reverses those operations on the fly to generate the version of the file you want. The upside of this is that doing these operations isn't very costly in terms of time, and many commits are small and easy to store because you only need to record the difference between the two versions of the file, rather than the entire file itself. This makes it very easy to have thousands of files versions available at a moment's notice, while spending a relatively small amount of space.

Most version control systems aren't that user friendly, but I'm pretty sure there are GUIs for git that can make things easier.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 04:24:26 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: November 18, 2014, 10:58:45 pm »
+6

What the hell is this crap in our meme forum?  >:(

"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: November 19, 2014, 12:00:05 am »

What the hell is this crap in our meme forum?  >:(

Welcome to f.DS.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: November 19, 2014, 12:52:57 am »
+4

How I feel about the meme thread.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: November 19, 2014, 05:59:10 am »

I can't stop watching that scene. Why is he moving his head so much?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: November 19, 2014, 08:56:31 am »

I can't stop watching that scene. Why is he moving his head so much?

Because they are pretending they are on horses.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: November 19, 2014, 09:25:49 am »

On topic version control:

I believe Git also stores the full files in compressed form in order to prevent data corruption. If you only store diff files, then the whole data breaks if the top file gets corrupted. Git has a way of telling if a committed file has been corrupted. Each commit has an ID generated with the file contents as the input to a hash function. Corruption is identified if the file doesn't yield the ID when passed through the hash function.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: November 19, 2014, 01:37:25 pm »
+1

I think the other distinguishing feature is citations and references to figures. The last lab report I wrote I did in word and I spent way way too long at the end making sure all of my citation and figure references pointed to the right things. And then I realized I forgot to include a citation and had to do it all over again. Never again.

OH NO! Please say you didn't type them by hand instead of using cross-references. Word can absolutely do this for you. And of course, LaTeX can, too.

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: November 19, 2014, 04:41:11 pm »

OH NO! Please say you didn't type them by hand instead of using cross-references. Word can absolutely do this for you. And of course, LaTeX can, too.

Wooooowwwwwwww. I feel really dumb now
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: November 19, 2014, 05:33:25 pm »
+1

I just learned how to use format painter today. To be fair, I only use Windows at work and then I am rarely in Word.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: November 20, 2014, 02:24:49 pm »
+5

I'm sure everyone is missing World Cup, so here's an exciting penalty kick video I found:

#t=284

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: November 20, 2014, 07:34:41 pm »

I'm sure everyone is missing World Cup, so here's an exciting penalty kick video I found:

[video]

I didn't realize it was fake until I saw that no one had beards.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: November 20, 2014, 11:34:57 pm »

"Velvet, you're with SteelHooves. Between the two of you, I'm sure you can greet them with the appropriate amount of compassionate kindness or overwhelming force."
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: November 21, 2014, 06:07:04 pm »
+1

Minor spoilers for How to Train Your Dragon 2:

Was watching this tonight with a few friends, and we were discussing cliches and the like post film. I said "After he mentioned never knowing him mother near the start of the film, I thought it was inevitable he'd bump into her."

On of my friends replied: "Yeah, that's just Chekhov... Chekhov's mum."

I was much impressed by the pun.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: November 21, 2014, 06:37:08 pm »

Was watching this tonight with a few friends,

Wait, that is surprising. Since when have you had friends?
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #1973 on: November 21, 2014, 09:34:17 pm »

Minor spoilers for How to Train Your Dragon 2:

Was watching this tonight with a few friends, and we were discussing cliches and the like post film. I said "After he mentioned never knowing him mother near the start of the film, I thought it was inevitable he'd bump into her."

On of my friends replied: "Yeah, that's just Chekhov... Chekhov's mum."

I was much impressed by the pun.
Wrong thread? Kinda?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: November 22, 2014, 01:59:02 am »
+3

Dog is scared of doors.  Comes up with a workaround.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 21 queries.