Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226358 times)

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #1525 on: October 31, 2014, 01:37:23 pm »
+1

Ah, my flippant comment has clarified the situation.  I thought that you had moved.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: October 31, 2014, 01:44:52 pm »

I suppose it's a good thing when my 45-minute meeting with my new boss to explain my duties becomes a 70-minute meeting. But now I'm exhausted.

http://vimeo.com/54739845
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: November 01, 2014, 03:37:13 am »
+3

I suppose it's a good thing when my 45-minute meeting with my new boss to explain my duties becomes a 70-minute meeting. But now I'm exhausted.

Shouldn't your boss have already known your duties?

Not my new one. He got thrown into the deep end with the reorg. He's not even fully aware of all the tools available to him now. It'll be quite an eye opener.

I hope you are not a tool.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: November 01, 2014, 06:46:58 pm »
+7

Today I played a Megagame (not the one in the video - we played one that had never been played before, in fact). It was great fun, and I would recommend them. A megagame is kinda a mix of an RPG and board game - there's no strict goal or winning condition, but everyone has goals they're working towards and you can choose to not roleplay at all and just try and solve or optimise the problems thrown at them. Meanwhile other teams are trying to do the same - and their goals may well be at odds with yours. On top of that, some individual people may have specific extra information or goals that either run contrary to their team or that they want to keep quiet, for whatever reason - betraying isn't a major element, but it does mean some people on your team may prioritise goals differently to how you do.

The one we played was called "Planet of the Damned." Humanity in the distant future, has colonised multiple star systems around the sun (Sol), and multiple 'nations' of multiple star systems have emerged - e.g. the Earth empire centered at Sol, the Martian Association formed by former citizens of Mars who split off and so on. I was a member of Wolf359, essentially the British Empire, in space.

In this distant future, humanity had briefly bandied together to defeat a common threat - the Roach - who had attacked and devastated various human worlds, killing around 2bn people. We defeated them over the star system Zubat, where half their remaining fleet left and the remainder, around 80K sentients, surrendered, settled on one of the star Zubat's planets, and attempted to survive on their own.

At the same time, research on the Forerunners, a species of space colonising sentients who lived millions of years before humanity has begun to throw up interesting finds. It's possible some kind of major breakthrough might be imminent, potentially providing advanced technology or other benefits. Of course, many of the various polities want to get in on this research, to be the first to take advantage of the technology.

The game starts in the aftermath of this, as the human factions decide on what to do about the Roach, the Forerunner Archaeology and so on  - and deal with all their other issues going on.

Well, that was a long intro! But I think it's important because 1) It's all relevant to the game and 2) It highlights just how complex these things are. A lot of the fun comes through the issues you deal with being complex with no correct answer, you just have to make decisions about what you think is best and see what happens.

In our game, my polity (Wolf359) was the most anti-Roach of all of them, with a goal to exterminate the surrendered Roach. We pursued anti-Roach measures very early in the game, having a battle fleet stationed over the planet ready to attack. However, everyone else wanted to research them, and focus on getting tech. We wanted to do what the majority of our population asked. This resulted in, at two summit meetings between the various polity leaders, our Prime Minister up and walked out half way through in protest (which incidentally made our political party extremely popular on our homeworlds, basically guaranteeing re-election...). We became social pariahs, and perhaps the only things keeping other polities from wanting to attack us was the fact we weren't being TOO aggressive on Zubat, and the fact we had lent quite a lot of ships to Supreme Humanity Command, who kinda had a lot of power. Eventually, other people managed to understand the Roach language to a point they could talk normally or close to it, and discover their true intentions.

Meanwhile the research on Mystery, the Forerunner homeworld, provided some very exciting and interesting information. It showed among other things the true goals of the Roach (as well as corroborating their stories), the origins of humanity and some other vital details. This lead to a massive shift of almost everyone's fleets towards Mystery. One polity was unhappy with an aspect of the research, relating to sentient AIs, and as a result took the  step of nuking the planet. Believe it or not, this was an entirely justifiable action - there are strict treaties in place everyone had agreed to regarding interaction with AIs, and nuking is considered a necessary step under certain conditions with them.

The end result of the game was that everyone knew what the Roaches goals were, about humanities origins and also Mars accidentally triggered an event that wlll wipe out all sentient life within the area of space the game occured in (a few hundred square parsecs - yeah it was two dimensional) over the next hundred or so years. Overall, it was a great game and I think Wolf359 did fairly well - we didn't kill the Roach, but we achieved some of our research goals, with solidified our position in the galaxy as a polity willing to act in our people's best interests, and our fleet wasn't caught in the black hole Mars created.

(Note: I've intentionally withheld a number of key details about why certain things happened - if you ever happen to play the game, you'll therefore not have those details spoiled. The game is designed so it can be replayed by the same people, although obviously you lose some of the surprise element that way).
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: November 01, 2014, 07:08:19 pm »

Wolf359 -- why the numbers? 

Zubat -- was this named by the players or by the game designers?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: November 01, 2014, 07:23:19 pm »

I don't know - presumably it was a minor star until it was inhabited (many have numbers in their name, I think Wolf359 is the star with numbers in it's name with largest population by probably an order of magnitude or two) and as our home system, gave our name.

The game designers. A lot of planets and star systems have interesting names. Particular favourites of mine were Disney World (which incidentally was one of the main casualties of the Roach attack), Icebox, Zubat, Lonely (which has a population of about 10bn) and Gorilla. From what I understand the universe the game is set in has been developed over the best part of two decades during a proper RPG, so I expect people from that named some elements of the game.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 07:24:25 pm by Tables »
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: November 01, 2014, 08:02:04 pm »
+1

Wolf 359 is the star system where the major battle of Best of Both Worlds took place.

It's also the fifth closest star system outside our own star system.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: November 01, 2014, 08:03:54 pm »

[Wolf 359 is] the fifth closest star system outside our own star system.

Well there you go, Kirian dropping a bit of reality on us. Wasn't even aware it was a real star name.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: November 02, 2014, 02:26:54 am »
+2

Remember to set your clocks back tonight, if you have clocks that need to be set back and you live in a region where DST ends tonight (most of Canada, US, probably a few others).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1534 on: November 02, 2014, 02:57:19 am »
+9

Also remember to set them back a week ago if you live in a region where DST ended a week ago.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7867
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: November 02, 2014, 10:04:53 am »
+4

Also remember to not set them back if you live in a region that doesn't use DST, or if you want to be an hour early for everything.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: November 02, 2014, 12:13:58 pm »
+2

My dad is a pastor, and he says that in spring it's really funny when people will come to church an hour late, have a confused look on their face, then realize what's going on.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: November 02, 2014, 01:12:01 pm »

My dad is a pastor, and he says that in spring it's really funny when people will come to church an hour late, have a confused look on their face, then realize what's going on.

But that's what's funny about everyone going everywhere once the clocks change. It also makes organizing anything insane. 3pm. Old time? New time! Is that forward or backward? Backward dammit!

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: November 02, 2014, 01:22:56 pm »

What was worse was last year I was studying in France, taking classes brodcast from the US.  So, while my friends were sitting in an 8AM, I was in the same class at 2PM.  Except that one week where Europe changed time before the US... It was really really confusing.  I was late for gokodom games, late for skype with family/friends... it was rough

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: November 02, 2014, 02:47:08 pm »

This weekend (in addition to the Megagame I talked about before) I played a few other board game expansions for the first time (or perhaps parts of their expansion).

T'zolkin's Tribes and Prophecies really change the game. You can't ignore the Prophecies - and there's a lot of potential points from them if you adjust your play right. The Tribes seem very fun as well - it's cool to have a unique racial power in each game.

7 Wonders: Babel seems to change to game a lot to me - moreso than any other expansion. The Babel Tower can really mess people up, either because tiles come out that make things difficult to work around, or because things you wanted to take advantage of disappear at a moment's notice. It also gives an extra option instead of discarding three times in the game, which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing. The great projects we had seemed to just be painful most of the time - none got more than half finished, and the penalties hurt a lot. But it could be cool if the first one does get finished.

Pandemic: In the Lab's team variant is actually pretty fun, but I don't think it's as good as the co-op version. Too luck driven in what cards you draw, I feel.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: November 02, 2014, 04:17:11 pm »
+11

My birthday is 25 hours this year ;D

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: November 03, 2014, 03:19:51 am »

My birthday is 25 hours this year ;D

You're not the first person I've heard that from.  You're not them, are you?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: November 03, 2014, 12:17:30 pm »

Heh, not sure if this girl is attracted to me or is just super playful. Backstage during a show, she grabbed my hat and put it on her head. Considering how much I sweat in that hat (and possibly how many other actors did as well *shudder*), I was surprised she was being that playful.

It'd be kind of cool to go out with her, but she's 20 years younger than me. It couldn't be an ongoing relationship. Besides, she wouldn't be my primary, and I have no idea how she'd respond to that, so I best leave it alone.

Still, donning someone else's clothes/accessories can often be seen as a sign of flirting—a nasty hat, even more.
A man has no signature

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: November 03, 2014, 12:43:20 pm »
+2

Two things:

A) This should go in the bragging thread.

B)

pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: November 03, 2014, 02:10:58 pm »
+1

Heh, not sure if this girl is attracted to me or is just super playful. Backstage during a show, she grabbed my hat and put it on her head. Considering how much I sweat in that hat (and possibly how many other actors did as well *shudder*), I was surprised she was being that playful.

It'd be kind of cool to go out with her, but she's 20 years younger than me. It couldn't be an ongoing relationship. Besides, she wouldn't be my primary, and I have no idea how she'd respond to that, so I best leave it alone.

Still, donning someone else's clothes/accessories can often be seen as a sign of flirting—a nasty hat, even more.

A girl takes your hat off and puts it on her head and you're not sure if she's attracted to you? Are you serious?
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: November 03, 2014, 02:15:11 pm »

A girl takes your hat off and puts it on her head and you're not sure if she's attracted to you? Are you serious?

Well, it sounds like it's a piece of a costume that he was wearing, not necessarily a hat he owned. Not to be a downer, but it's a reasonable doubt to have.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: November 03, 2014, 02:24:26 pm »

Definitely, definitely flirting.  That said, if you're poly* and don't know whether she is or not, probably best to, at the least, let her make any further moves.  Of course, my dating advice is best taken with a heaping teaspoon of salt.

*I'm assuming this from your using the word 'primary' up there.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: November 03, 2014, 02:26:04 pm »

Well, it sounds like it's a piece of a costume that he was wearing, not necessarily a hat he owned. Not to be a downer, but it's a reasonable doubt to have.

It doesn't matter if he was wearing a cat, that's about as unsubtle as women get.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7867
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: November 03, 2014, 02:34:09 pm »
+2

Interesting:

Foreign language translations had to change Tom Marvolo Riddle's name so that an appropriate anagram could be formed from "I am Lord Voldemort." In Spanish, his name became "Tom Sorvolo Ryddle," which transforms into "Soy Lord Voldemort." In French, his name is "Tom Elvis Jedusor," which becomes "Je suis Voldemort." In Dutch, his name is "Marten Asmodom Vilijn" which is an anagram for "Mijn naam is Voldemort". In Turkish the name is "Tom Marvoldo Riddle" which makes up "Adim Lord Voldemort". In Brazilian Portuguese the name is "Tom Servolo Riddle" which makes up "Eis Lord Voldemort". In Danish, his name is "Romeo G. Detlev Jr." which makes up "Jeg er Voldemort". In Italian his name is "Tom Orvoloson Riddle", which makes up "Son io Lord Voldemort". In Swedish his name is "Tom Gus Mervolo Dolder", which makes up "Ego sum Lord Voldemort".

Source

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: November 03, 2014, 02:40:57 pm »
+2

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 230  All

Page created in 1.991 seconds with 22 queries.