Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226697 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #1375 on: October 24, 2014, 11:17:12 am »

Unless I have a specific reason for unmuting all of my devices are muted all the time; computer, ipad, phone, etc. When I use someone else's device and all the bleeps and bloops and dings and whizzes I just don't know what the hell people are doing with their sound on. I recently watched a hearthstone stream and was flabbergasted at how amazingly annoying it is with sound.

And playing a video game isn't a specific reason for unmuting?

No, it is not. I do not recall the last game where I needed sound in order to play. Watching a Youtube clip or similar or streaming a TV episode is about the only time I unmute.

Depends on the game. I'd like to see you play Left 4 Dead without sound as the game uses many changes in music and zombie sounds to warn you have what's going on.

EDIT: But yes hearthstone can be annoying. I actually like all the little catch phrases, but I usually turn the music off.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: October 24, 2014, 11:18:17 am »
+2

Unless I have a specific reason for unmuting all of my devices are muted all the time; computer, ipad, phone, etc. When I use someone else's device and all the bleeps and bloops and dings and whizzes I just don't know what the hell people are doing with their sound on. I recently watched a hearthstone stream and was flabbergasted at how amazingly annoying it is with sound.

No, it is not. I do not recall the last game where I needed sound in order to play. Watching a Youtube clip or similar or streaming a TV episode is about the only time I unmute.

Muting e.g. Online Dominion is perfectly acceptable. Muting e.g. Ghost Trick makes you history's greatest monster.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: October 24, 2014, 11:19:09 am »

There are definitely games that require sound but apparently I am not playing those games. I have played several FPS quite fine without sound.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1378 on: October 24, 2014, 11:19:31 am »
+4

No, it is not. I do not recall the last game where I needed sound in order to play.

Blind people also probably don't recall the last time they needed to see in order to walk.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: October 24, 2014, 12:58:19 pm »

Depends on how essential the sounds are for the video game. I play Marvel Avengers Alliance, which is a FB game that has fights similar to Final Fantasy/Bard's Tale. The sounds are amusing, but they aren't essential to the game. So I mute it.

FPS games, of course, need sound. Most RTS games do too simply because the audio cue is harder to miss than the message that pops up in the corner.

Technically, I don't need sound for Wasteland 2, but I have it on anyway because it's Wasteland, man.

I'll second RTS needing sound.

I have my computer's sound routed to my headphones only, and in terms of games I used the sound only for Starcraft, which I haven't played in a while, and back when I was raiding in WoW.  Hearthstone's sounds are horribly annoying.

Dominion, HS, Civ, Factorio, KoL... no need for sound.  (In the last case, no need for graphics either!)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: October 24, 2014, 01:13:22 pm »
+2

I never fail to read it as "good luck high five"

glfb is more sanitary.

Muting e.g. Online Dominion is perfectly acceptable. Muting e.g. Ghost Trick makes you history's greatest monster.

It's true. All those evil tyrants from human history? Almost none of them played Ghost Trick with sound on.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: October 24, 2014, 02:10:08 pm »
+1

It's true. All those evil tyrants from human history? Almost none of them played Ghost Trick with sound on.

Q.E.D.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: October 24, 2014, 02:28:02 pm »
+2

For me, playing video/computer games without sound is kind of like watching a movie without sound. There are some movies that you don't need sound to fully appreciate. Like most silent movies. The same goes for video/computer games. You don't need it for games like Battle Chess, Dominion or Hearthstone.

But to me, playing Heroes of Might & Magic III without sound is like watching The Godfather subtitled without sound. And as mentioned some games have pretty distinct audio cues, which makes them almost unplayable without sound.

All that aside, the guys working with the music and sound effects also worked on the game. But I guess the graphics guys are more important?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: October 24, 2014, 02:33:51 pm »

All that aside, the guys working with the music and sound effects also worked on the game. But I guess the graphics guys are more important?

Nope. See Isotropic as a perfect example. Gameplay is most important with interface accessibility coming in close second. Everything else is quite literally window dressing.

Obviously FPS improves with better graphics but there is a point of diminishing returns. Obviously sound can be an integral part of a game (say DDR), but those are typically games I won't be playing.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: October 24, 2014, 02:53:23 pm »
+1

For me, playing video/computer games without sound is kind of like watching a movie without sound. There are some movies that you don't need sound to fully appreciate. Like most silent movies. The same goes for video/computer games. You don't need it for games like Battle Chess, Dominion or Hearthstone.

But to me, playing Heroes of Might & Magic III without sound is like watching The Godfather subtitled without sound. And as mentioned some games have pretty distinct audio cues, which makes them almost unplayable without sound.

Well, most of my gaming is of the RPG family (Final Fantasy, Shining Force, etc.), so while the sound and music is generally pretty awesome, you eventually don't need to hear the fight music for the 10,000,000 time.  I would turn sound off and play my own music.  It's kind of funny that some songs still remind me of certain dungeons/battles where I happened to spend a lot of time.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: October 24, 2014, 03:05:10 pm »

grammar question:

if I say "it was so XX that YY" there doesn't belong a comma behind XX, right?

but what if I say, "it was so XX, and A was so B that YY"? Do I need a comma behind B here? Putting one feels wrong, but not putting it feels wrong too.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #1386 on: October 24, 2014, 03:07:04 pm »
+2

Yes, you add a comma there.  "and A was so B" is a nonrestrictive clause and should be set off with a comma.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: October 24, 2014, 05:18:09 pm »
+4

http://game.ioxapp.com/color/

Find the square that's a different colour.  You have one minute to get as many as you can.  The best I've done is 27.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: October 24, 2014, 05:32:51 pm »

Find the square that's a different colour.  You have one minute to get as many as you can.  The best I've done is 27.

I got 26 on my first try and 34 on my second try. Cool game.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: October 24, 2014, 05:47:06 pm »

Haha, 27 on my first try!
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: October 24, 2014, 05:47:54 pm »
+1

I got 26 on my first try and 34 on my second try. Cool game.

I got 26 on my first try, then did much worse for a few tries.  Took a break after 27, just got 36!  I think I need to unfocus my eyes more. :P  If you got 34 on your second, you could probably get way further.  You have good eyes, sir.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: October 24, 2014, 06:24:12 pm »
+1

Stupid blue...

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: October 24, 2014, 06:45:35 pm »
+4

Also, piss off your colorblind friend in one easy step!

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: October 24, 2014, 06:46:45 pm »

Chalk me up for another 27 first try.  I'm surprised how doable it felt: clever thing the human brain.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: October 24, 2014, 06:47:51 pm »

Would it? The different square seems to be brighter than the others, not a different hue.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: October 24, 2014, 06:47:57 pm »

Nice. 28, 31, 38 in order... In the third game I realized there was no penalty for misclicking, which helps quite a bit (by not having to double check when you see something a little off).

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: October 24, 2014, 07:22:21 pm »

Stupid blue...

!!!!

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: October 24, 2014, 07:25:21 pm »

Reminds me of this color discrimination test/game (not sure if posted here before):

http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: October 24, 2014, 09:15:09 pm »
+1

Would it? The different square seems to be brighter than the others, not a different hue.

Yes. I'm colorblind and I got to the 8x8 and can't find the odd one out at all.

Reminds me of this color discrimination test/game (not sure if posted here before):

http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge

I failed the crap out of this one too.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1185
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: October 24, 2014, 09:27:30 pm »

Some of the colors, e.g. yellow, are way easier than others. Which is odd, since on that xrite thing the only errors I made were in the yellow hues. I guess it might also be related to my display, especially since I use a program which modifies the colors displayed.

Edit: My best is 35 36 43.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 12:46:34 am by heron »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 21 queries.