Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226748 times)

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #1350 on: October 23, 2014, 06:37:49 pm »

I practice reciprocal respect: I am much more likely to +1 your posts if you +1 mine.

...how much more likely are we talking here?

;D

...Quite a bit.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: October 23, 2014, 06:38:39 pm »
+2

I practice reciprocal respect: I am much more likely to +1 your posts if you +1 mine.

Whereas if you give me +1 respect, I will give you +1/respect.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: October 23, 2014, 07:12:26 pm »
+2

Apparently cockroaches are better at cooperating than people are.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2006/04/03/1607034.htm

:|

I believe that cockroaches and termites are relatively closely related phylogenetically? I wonder if that has something to do with this social behavior.

I don't think the cockroach behaviour can really be said to be democratic. I mean, termites are the classic example of emergent behaviour. None of them actually know that they're building a termite mound; they just do a few repetitive tasks following a few simple rules and when all of them work this way they get a mound.

In the same way, bacteria form biofilms and release proteins that control the group behaviour. You have a whole bunch of bacteria in a group all emitting the same protein, then that protein reaches a threshold at which individual bacteria will start doing something (this is called quorum sensing). So are the bacteria really "living in a democracy"? I don't think so. Of course, the study referenced is still interesting, but as usual the article and headline are somewhat misleading.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: October 23, 2014, 07:49:50 pm »

I believe that cockroaches and termites are relatively closely related phylogenetically? I wonder if that has something to do with this social behavior.

I don't think the cockroach behaviour can really be said to be democratic. I mean, termites are the classic example of emergent behaviour. None of them actually know that they're building a termite mound; they just do a few repetitive tasks following a few simple rules and when all of them work this way they get a mound.

In the same way, bacteria form biofilms and release proteins that control the group behaviour. You have a whole bunch of bacteria in a group all emitting the same protein, then that protein reaches a threshold at which individual bacteria will start doing something (this is called quorum sensing). So are the bacteria really "living in a democracy"? I don't think so. Of course, the study referenced is still interesting, but as usual the article and headline are somewhat misleading.

There's always the economists' go-to phrase: They act AS IF....

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: October 23, 2014, 07:56:32 pm »
+2

No, cockroaches are democratic and they will rise up and destroy us all in the name of invertebrate freedom.  :'(

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: October 23, 2014, 10:06:55 pm »

Oops, I may have been a bit too emphatic in my disdain for baseball this morning. I try not to let that come out too much since people have their own tastes, and I won't begrudge people for liking it.

I just blurted it out when I was shocked that my co-worker would forego watching American Horror Story for baseball. I won't have anyone to talk with around here about AHS for several days.

The background noise (or "music" or whatever) of American Horror Story is really, really, really bad.  I really want to get into it, but it's making it very hard.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:08:41 pm by Witherweaver »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: October 23, 2014, 10:26:29 pm »

Like, the sound issue is single,-handedly ruining the show.  Had to stop watching Episode 2 halfway through. 

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: October 23, 2014, 10:41:54 pm »
+6

I browse the forum from my phone most of the time so I am much stingier with respect than I'd like to be because the button is just so hard to push accurately. I like you all a lot better than my respect-giving probably suggests. :P
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: October 24, 2014, 01:32:10 am »
+3

This begs the question, why would they even watch baseball at all?

Dude...

http://begthequestion.info/
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: October 24, 2014, 01:41:57 am »
+2

I browse the forum from my phone most of the time so I am much stingier with respect than I'd like to be because the button is just so hard to push accurately. I like you all a lot better than my respect-giving probably suggests. :P

Sometimes I browse the forum with the mousepad, which tends to click around randomly, so I actually like you all less than my respect giving suggests. No offense :P
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: October 24, 2014, 01:44:20 am »
+11

Dude...

Sorry. It was a weak joke that didn't land. WW said "Impossible.  Baseball is boring; therefore, people that watch it must be bored." Which, if I understand it correctly, is actually an instance of begging the question. In addition, I was referencing the previous discussion of this topic in this thread, for a layer of "meta-humor".

In retrospect, the joke probably could have been funnier. I thought it was pretty clever this morning, but I had just woken up, so  perhaps my judgment was clouded. I should have done more to emphasize the sarcastic tone of my comment, and that I was responding specifically to WW's statement. Perhaps it was just better left unposted.

Now that I've explained myself, you can see how hilarious my joke truly is. We appreciate your time and laughter.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: October 24, 2014, 04:29:44 am »

can you see lobby msg's that were sent while you were in game? you can't, can you?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: October 24, 2014, 04:38:24 am »
+1

also, why do people answer to "glhf" with "hi". "good luck " - "hi", that doesn't even make sense.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: October 24, 2014, 05:37:49 am »

Dude...

Sorry. It was a weak joke that didn't land. WW said "Impossible.  Baseball is boring; therefore, people that watch it must be bored." Which, if I understand it correctly, is actually an instance of begging the question. In addition, I was referencing the previous discussion of this topic in this thread, for a layer of "meta-humor".

In retrospect, the joke probably could have been funnier. I thought it was pretty clever this morning, but I had just woken up, so  perhaps my judgment was clouded. I should have done more to emphasize the sarcastic tone of my comment, and that I was responding specifically to WW's statement. Perhaps it was just better left unposted.

Now that I've explained myself, you can see how hilarious my joke truly is. We appreciate your time and laughter.

I think "baseball is boring because it's not fun" is begging the question.  "People who watch baseball are bored because baseball is boring" isn't an actual logical fallacy, I think, as it has actual cause and effect.

"Your joke is now funny because you explained it" is also true.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: October 24, 2014, 08:27:47 am »
+2

also, why do people answer to "glhf" with "hi". "good luck " - "hi", that doesn't even make sense.

It does if that's the first thing they are saying to you. They were going to say hi, you just said glhf too fast, and they still want to salute. It is noticeable that Goko loads at different speeds, so it is likely that someone enter the game when you already wrote glhf in the chat.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #1365 on: October 24, 2014, 08:39:18 am »

Some may not know what "glhf" even means.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: October 24, 2014, 08:43:43 am »
+5

Some may not know what "glhf" even means.

It is a sound showing displeasance because only the middle row of your keyboard works, right?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: October 24, 2014, 09:47:08 am »

Besides, isn't glhf so ubiquitous that it has turned into a greeting? Or at least could be viewed that way by some players?
A man has no signature

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: October 24, 2014, 10:06:25 am »
+6

I never fail to read it as "good luck high five"

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: October 24, 2014, 10:13:51 am »

It does if that's the first thing they are saying to you. They were going to say hi, you just said glhf too fast, and they still want to salute. It is noticeable that Goko loads at different speeds, so it is likely that someone enter the game when you already wrote glhf in the chat.

sure but they don't do that. They wait until I say "glhf" or just "gl" and then answer "hi"

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: October 24, 2014, 10:33:59 am »

sure but they don't do that. They wait until I say "glhf" or just "gl" and then answer "hi"

It makes sense if they interpret glhf as a salutation.

Like:
"Good morning!"
"Hi!"

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: October 24, 2014, 10:42:51 am »
+4

Unless I have a specific reason for unmuting all of my devices are muted all the time; computer, ipad, phone, etc. When I use someone else's device and all the bleeps and bloops and dings and whizzes I just don't know what the hell people are doing with their sound on. I recently watched a hearthstone stream and was flabbergasted at how amazingly annoying it is with sound.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1372 on: October 24, 2014, 11:01:31 am »
+1

Unless I have a specific reason for unmuting all of my devices are muted all the time; computer, ipad, phone, etc. When I use someone else's device and all the bleeps and bloops and dings and whizzes I just don't know what the hell people are doing with their sound on. I recently watched a hearthstone stream and was flabbergasted at how amazingly annoying it is with sound.

And playing a video game isn't a specific reason for unmuting?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: October 24, 2014, 11:13:55 am »

No, it is not. I do not recall the last game where I needed sound in order to play. Watching a Youtube clip or similar or streaming a TV episode is about the only time I unmute.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: October 24, 2014, 11:16:06 am »
+1

Depends on how essential the sounds are for the video game. I play Marvel Avengers Alliance, which is a FB game that has fights similar to Final Fantasy/Bard's Tale. The sounds are amusing, but they aren't essential to the game. So I mute it.

FPS games, of course, need sound. Most RTS games do too simply because the audio cue is harder to miss than the message that pops up in the corner.

Technically, I don't need sound for Wasteland 2, but I have it on anyway because it's Wasteland, man.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 230  All

Page created in 1.888 seconds with 21 queries.