Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1226235 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #3875 on: April 28, 2015, 10:27:54 am »

Oh hey, look, two humorous posts wasn't enough, dammit.

<------  RPS is over there.

Please rephrase in the form of a meme.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: April 28, 2015, 10:30:50 am »
+3

Oh hey, look, two humorous posts wasn't enough, dammit.

<------  RPS is over there.

Please rephrase in the form of a meme.

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: April 28, 2015, 10:52:14 am »
+1

Stay on... random topic.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: April 28, 2015, 10:57:29 am »

Don't let the apparent contradiction ruin a good meme.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: April 28, 2015, 11:12:24 am »

I didn't say communism does or doesn't work, but the aforementioned argument is stupid.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: April 28, 2015, 12:35:27 pm »
+4

The most interesting group work I had in college was actually for a math class. The exam period was split 2/3 of the time to individual work, and 1/3 of the time to group work. After the individual exam, you turned it in and immediately got a fresh copy of the exam. Then you worked in groups of 3 to do the same exam again. Scores for questions you answered in the group portion were averaged with your score on the individual portion regardless of whether you answered correctly on the individual portion. If you left a question blank, the score from the individual exam was the full score.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: April 28, 2015, 12:37:38 pm »
+2

The most interesting group work I had in college was actually for a math class. The exam period was split 2/3 of the time to individual work, and 1/3 of the time to group work. After the individual exam, you turned it in and immediately got a fresh copy of the exam. Then you worked in groups of 3 to do the same exam again. Scores for questions you answered in the group portion were averaged with your score on the individual portion regardless of whether you answered correctly on the individual portion. If you left a question blank, the score from the individual exam was the full score.

That sounds more like a social experiment than a valid way to evaluate students.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: April 28, 2015, 12:47:17 pm »
+1

That sounds more like a social experiment than a valid way to evaluate students.

Yeah, it was a little weird. This was for my complex analysis class in college. Other profs did a better version of this: Individual portion in class, then get a copy of the exam to take home and turn in again for some points back (say, quarter credit back). The brilliance of this is that it keeps students thinking about hard questions and learning right after the exam, but doesn't really impact grades, except if you slack off. Suppose everyone turns in a perfect take-home portion and the class is graded on a curve. Well, where's the individual variation coming from? The individual portion of the exam!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: April 28, 2015, 12:55:27 pm »
+3

Yeah, it was a little weird. This was for my complex analysis class in college. Other profs did a better version of this: Individual portion in class, then get a copy of the exam to take home and turn in again for some points back (say, quarter credit back). The brilliance of this is that it keeps students thinking about hard questions and learning right after the exam, but doesn't really impact grades, except if you slack off. Suppose everyone turns in a perfect take-home portion and the class is graded on a curve. Well, where's the individual variation coming from? The individual portion of the exam!

Yeah, I like the method of students correcting exams/assignments; it forces you to actually learn a problem rather than just disregarding it.  Also, it allows for more difficult exam questions.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: April 28, 2015, 01:16:40 pm »
+1

After reading a list of 19 underrated horror movies, I saw a comment that said, "Literally 75% of this list is composed of actual Horror Classics."

I'm so disturbed by that comment.
A man has no signature

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3885 on: April 28, 2015, 01:22:27 pm »

After reading a list of 19 underrated horror movies, I saw a comment that said, "Literally 75% of this list is composed of actual Horror Classics."

I'm so disturbed by that comment.

Share the list and you'll get a second opinion by someone who cares more about classics than about horror movies.

Hint: I'm talking about me.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: April 28, 2015, 01:41:05 pm »
+2

The list is here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/annakopsky/candyman-candyman-candyman-candyman-candyman

It's actually not a bad list, for once. But I still wonder how the commenter believes that 14.25 of the movies are classics.
A man has no signature

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: April 28, 2015, 01:49:01 pm »

Hmm... I counted 4 that i would consider "classics". Including "modern classics".

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: April 28, 2015, 01:54:31 pm »
+1

The commenter could have just assumed the list was indexed at 0.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: April 28, 2015, 01:56:56 pm »

Also, rounding isn't necessarily nonliteral.*

Also, if you're going to be pendantic, you should probably be more precisely pendantic. 

*Though, I guess it's still not an appropriate use of the word.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: April 28, 2015, 02:01:16 pm »
+11

So, true story from earlier: Today I was supporting a pupil in a year 13 maths lesson (as normal) and due to a discussion about what calculators are legal in the exam, the teacher pulled out the best legal calculator he had found from inside his suit pocket and talked about it's features.

This would all be well and good, until someone realised something was odd about this.

"Sir, do you REALLY carry a calculator around in your pocket all day?" the pupil asked.

"No", the teacher replied, putting his hand back into his pocket. "I carry two," and he pulled out a second calculator from the same place the first had been.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: April 28, 2015, 03:18:07 pm »

So, true story from earlier: Today I was supporting a pupil in a year 13 maths lesson (as normal) and due to a discussion about what calculators are legal in the exam, the teacher pulled out the best legal calculator he had found from inside his suit pocket and talked about it's features.

This would all be well and good, until someone realised something was odd about this.

"Sir, do you REALLY carry a calculator around in your pocket all day?" the pupil asked.

"No", the teacher replied, putting his hand back into his pocket. "I carry two," and he pulled out a second calculator from the same place the first had been.

I've actually thought about carrying calculators around, because I sometimes wish I had one...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: April 28, 2015, 03:25:09 pm »
+1

I still cannot find anything useful to use Twitter for. I'm following people, but I either get links to longer articles or short quips that don't convey a whole lot of message.
A man has no signature

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3893 on: April 28, 2015, 03:43:16 pm »

I still cannot find anything useful to use Twitter for. I'm following people, but I either get links to longer articles or short quips that don't convey a whole lot of message.

I use Twitter for following a couple of people who post videos or other stuff exclusively on Twitter, and for getting extra benefits in games etc. where you can get extra benefits by following the game's Twitter page or something.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: April 28, 2015, 04:22:24 pm »

I use Twitter for following a couple of people who post videos or other stuff exclusively on Twitter, and for getting extra benefits in games etc. where you can get extra benefits by following the game's Twitter page or something.

Okay, bribery makes Twitter a little more appealing to me. I don't have any games that bribe through Twitter, but if I did, I certainly would follow.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: April 28, 2015, 05:47:31 pm »

I think I should add one more detail to this. He actually carries two for practical reasons, not just to troll 6th formers. The first is his calculator, particularly useful in A level maths lessons and for showing kids what to do. The second is a spare, in case someone forgets theirs in lesson (it's rarer that multiple forget them but in that case you have to send a kid to the maths office to pick up the spares).
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: April 28, 2015, 06:29:40 pm »

If I had space in my jacket pockets, I would definitely carry a calculator around. Unfortunately, I am already carrying around tissues, gloves, a beanie, a small notepad, a pen, an umbrella, random stuff (keychains, candies, promotions, etc.), a scarf, and right now a bottle of water. There was a time I carried two umbrellas around because I really hate sharing umbrellas.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:34:08 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: April 29, 2015, 12:11:08 am »

I need counsel that I will probably not heed and do whatever I want instead.

I recently moved to another city and left my board game collection very behind. I found a board game shop in my new city that sells Adventures, but not the Base Cards. I already own Intrigue, but not the Base Set. I could buy the Base Set and Adventures (expensive!). Or I could buy Adventures and order the Base Cards online, and maybe buy some other box when I have the money (Guilds or Dark Ages).

What do you recommend? "You know you are going to buy them all eventually" is not an answer.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: April 29, 2015, 12:25:06 am »
+3

Hey Dominion players, should I buy more Dominion?
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: April 29, 2015, 12:25:41 am »

(oh, and "yes" is the answer)
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 230  All

Page created in 2.479 seconds with 20 queries.