Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1225772 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #3000 on: February 10, 2015, 01:41:50 am »
+2

I love Spirited Away, and Princess Mononoke is just as good.

I think I like Howl's Moving Castle slightly better than both of those.

I'd like to see Porco Rosso again. It's surreal in a slightly different way than most Miyazaki films.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: February 10, 2015, 01:46:01 am »
+1

I love Spirited Away, and Princess Mononoke is just as good.

I think I like Howl's Moving Castle slightly better than both of those.

These are the three I have seen and I have to say I'm not as blown away as all my friends are. I find the stories a little mashed together, just stuff happening and then a little conclusion. The animations are great of course, and his independent attitude to his movies is amazing too. But with all his movies I've left feeling like I wanted a little more unison with all the things in the movies.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: February 10, 2015, 01:49:41 am »

Castle in the Sky still ranks as one of my favorites. I just saw From Up on Poppy Hill last week. It was nice, different, but a good film nonetheless. I'm aware it didn't have the best reception, which I think is a shame.

It's strange. I will only watch subbed anime with the exception of the Miyazaki films. The english voiceovers are very well done.

The Wind Rises is the only film I have yet to see. I would unwatch Arrietty if I could.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: February 10, 2015, 06:57:39 am »

Having rewatched Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro recently, I actually now think Totoro is his best work, at least from those I've seen (those two, Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, Moving Castle) . I thought it was a bit too light when I first saw it a few years ago, but rewatching it it was simply perfect. It reminded me of Le Petit Prince, in that what's great about that book is how enchanting it is to read as a child, and how interestnig it is to rediscover as an adult. I would say the same of My Neighbor Totoro, whereas I don't think Spirited Away and Mononoke work as well for children. They're also longer, and I've come to really appreciate brevity in movies.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3004 on: February 10, 2015, 07:55:03 am »

Princess Mononoke is definitely the best out of those I've seen (haven't seen Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Ponyo or The Wind Rises, but I've seen the rest). It's the only one I still occasionally want to rewatch. I liked Spirited Away a lot when I was a bit younger though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: February 10, 2015, 07:59:09 am »

I was completely creeped out by My neighbour Totoro as a child.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3006 on: February 10, 2015, 08:12:29 am »

Oh and I should post this just to make sure that it's ruined for everyone and not just me. http://nerdreactor.com/2014/01/07/is-my-neighbor-totoro-actually-the-god-of-death/
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: February 10, 2015, 08:42:41 am »

Spirited Away was a horror movie as far as I could tell, and one with an incoherent plot to boot.  It completely put me off watching anything Miyazaki again.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: February 10, 2015, 10:09:31 am »

Oh and I should post this just to make sure that it's ruined for everyone and not just me. http://nerdreactor.com/2014/01/07/is-my-neighbor-totoro-actually-the-god-of-death/

I've heard that one before, and I really hate that interpretation, because it doesn't really make any sense. A huge chunk of Miyazaki's works involve kids coming of age while interacting with supernatural beings, and that's pretty much what My Neighbor Totoro is. The "dark" interpretation is kind of tenuous (you see the kids playing with their parents in the credits sequence which kind of contradicts the theory that they're actually dead at the end of the movie), doesn't really add anything meaningful to movie, and doesn't seem like the kind of movie that Miyazaki would make.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: February 10, 2015, 10:50:36 am »

Did you guys hear about this?

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/9/8008387/wheel-of-time-pilot-fxx

Edit: A likely explanation was that the rights to make a production out of the books was about to expire, so the company holding the rights hurried and made something so they could extend it, or fund a full project, or something like that.  I think it's a little unclear.  The general people involved with Jordan (i.e., his wife) did not have any knowledge of this.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:03:22 am by Witherweaver »

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: February 10, 2015, 11:03:16 am »
+1

Does anyone have a suggestion for a cross-platform to-do/tasks list?
I use Todoist, which I have found to be pretty useful. I just use the free version--though there's some cheap subscription you can get for additional functionality. It's simple, cross-platform--and it sounds like it has the features you want. It has project creation, sorting by due date, and completed tasks are archived and sorted by project.

A few years ago, I tried like a gazillion different task apps; this is the only one I still use.

Thanks! I've checked it out. It looks about right, though not as clean as outlook. I'll give it a shot. I wish there was a way to have a category field as well as some text about the task (basically I want a drop down because I like categorizing my tasks based on what class they're for). Maybe I'll use projects for that purpose.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: February 10, 2015, 02:25:17 pm »

Yeah. I mostly use it for school and do exactly that--have each one of my classes as a project and assign tasks accordingly. The "next seven days" view is mostly what I keep it on, so I can view all my homework and assignments one week ahead sorted by project and date.

Also--random stuff. One of my classes was canceled today, and on top of that my headphones broke. You never really appreciate something until it's gone :(

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: February 10, 2015, 02:29:21 pm »
+1

Also--random stuff. One of my classes was canceled today, and on top of that my headphones broke. You never really appreciate something until it's gone :(

My headphones broke a while ago, and my birthday was in a couple days.  I had already said I didn't need anything for my birthday, but then I was like "GIVE ME HEADPHOOOOOOOOONES"
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: February 10, 2015, 02:30:07 pm »

My headphones broke a while ago, and my birthday was in a couple days.  I had already said I didn't need anything for my birthday, but then I was like "GIVE ME HEADPHOOOOOOOOONES"
That's incredibly ironic since my birthday is Saturday. Guess I know what I'll be getting  ::)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: February 10, 2015, 02:48:13 pm »
+2

That's incredibly ironic since my birthday is Saturday. Guess I know what I'll be getting  ::)

A make-up class?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #3015 on: February 10, 2015, 03:01:42 pm »

A make-up class?

Wait, like, a class where you learn how to put on makeup?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: February 10, 2015, 03:19:22 pm »

Beats business law...maybe.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: February 10, 2015, 03:21:00 pm »
+1

A make-up class?

Wait, like, a class where you learn how to put on makeup?

That reminds me: be very careful to read the ad before you sign up for tutoring work.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: February 10, 2015, 03:31:59 pm »
+5

Will you be getting an explanation of what ironic means?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: February 10, 2015, 03:34:41 pm »
+2

I was sorely tempted, but he actually gave me a helpful response about the task manager thing, so I felt bad.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: February 10, 2015, 03:35:31 pm »
+1

I was sorely tempted, but he actually gave me a helpful response about the task manager thing, so I felt bad.

Luckily I have no qualms.

PLus Ichmichimaru is cool, I am sure he will laugh...

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: February 10, 2015, 03:36:39 pm »
+1

Sometimes having that edit indicator is more embarrassing than just rolling with it. Next time I'll trust my better judgement.

But hey, at least I act as an enabler for your guys' jokes.

PPE: ahahahaha. Coolness confirmed.

Edit: Yes, I was born on Valentine's day.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 03:46:02 pm by Ichimaru Gin »

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: February 10, 2015, 03:50:11 pm »

Now quick! Someone sidetrack the conversation for me, so I can pretend this never happened.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: February 10, 2015, 03:56:18 pm »
+5

Wouldn't it be ironic if I, the king of sidetracking, actually kept this one topic on topic about the irony mix up.

Its just like rain on your wedding day

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: February 10, 2015, 03:58:05 pm »
+1

Talking about weddings, Ichi was born on Valentine's day, and it's been a while since the last relationship discussion around here, and Ichi is trying to switch the conversation away from things that embarrass him.

So I think we should try to set Ichi up.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 230  All

Page created in 2.187 seconds with 20 queries.