Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1225362 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #2025 on: November 25, 2014, 06:11:42 pm »

I just like to play the "old guy" card
Hermit?

can you explain your avatar?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2026 on: November 25, 2014, 06:15:26 pm »

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: November 25, 2014, 06:41:39 pm »

Hermit?

Yes.

this reminds me of eragon. have you read that? anyway, so what does it show and what is the meaning behind it?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2028 on: November 25, 2014, 06:56:20 pm »

Hermit?

Yes.

this reminds me of eragon. have you read that? anyway, so what does it show and what is the meaning behind it?

Haven't read that, I have one book from the series but it started with a massive lore nuke explaining what happened in the previous books and it magically erased all of the motivation I had for reading it.

It shows a stylized standby symbol and the meaning behind it is that I wanted to try something different for a while. Not sure if I like this though, will probably switch back to my previous evolved red circled A soon.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: November 25, 2014, 07:02:03 pm »

the reason I said eragon is that there is a scene

A: can you tell us where we can find C?
B: yes
A: will you tell us?
B: yes

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: November 25, 2014, 07:03:28 pm »
+5

So I was watching this video on natural remedies for sinus issues when I got to 4:10 and my eyes popped out of my head.

Was expecting something like this:

Was very disappointed.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2031 on: November 25, 2014, 08:40:05 pm »
+5

It shows a stylized standby symbol and the meaning behind it is that I wanted to try something different for a while. Not sure if I like this though, will probably switch back to my previous evolved red circled A soon.

Yeah, fuck that. I love this avatar and now I feel bad for cheating on it.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: November 25, 2014, 08:41:17 pm »

yay. this looks much better on you.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: November 25, 2014, 08:53:29 pm »
+4

Apparently I entirely missed the other avatar, and was wondering "What, no one knows the anarchist symbol?"
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: November 26, 2014, 03:12:55 am »

So I was watching this video on natural remedies for sinus issues when I got to 4:10 and my eyes popped out of my head.

Am I missing a joke?  I need it explained.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:15:28 am by ashersky »
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: November 26, 2014, 07:44:31 am »

I took it to mean that he found the young woman extremely attractive.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: November 26, 2014, 08:24:43 am »

Sometimes little reminders of how much older you are to others can pop up unexpectedly.

I was talking with a guy about the scene in Coming to America where the two villains from Trading Places made a cameo. He scratched his head for a moment and asked, "So Trading Places came out before Coming to America?"

While 5 years is not a whole lot of difference when you're looking at IMDB, it really sticks with you when you grow up with the movies because I knew of a 5-year period where Trading Places existed while Coming to America did not. That'd be like some kid 20 years from now not knowing that Iron Man came out before the Avengers.

But then, I’m not immune, am I? Without consulting IMDB, I don't really know which came first: Breakfast at Tiffany's or Some Like It Hot. And I'm sure that someone out there would be sputtering, "How could you not know?"
A man has no signature

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: November 26, 2014, 08:54:01 am »
+2

I know the feeling (regarding being older than the median here).  Imagine how I felt one day in the 80's, standing in a record store (you know, the kind with big vinyl discs)  and hearing a young woman about 16 or so say to her friend "did you know that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?"
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:55:17 am by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: November 26, 2014, 09:13:05 am »

I know the feeling (regarding being older than the median here).  Imagine how I felt one day in the 80's

You could have ended there... I would guess at least half of this forum was not alive during the 80s. However, a vinyl store was already kind of retro in the 80s, since the casette (and even the walkman!) already existed.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2039 on: November 26, 2014, 09:21:53 am »

I know the feeling (regarding being older than the median here).  Imagine how I felt one day in the 80's

You could have ended there... I would guess at least half of this forum was not alive during the 80s. However, a vinyl store was already kind of retro in the 80s, since the casette (and even the walkman!) already existed.

But cassettes were awful, while vinyls are still a reasonable option.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #2040 on: November 26, 2014, 09:23:39 am »
+2

But cassettes were awful, while vinyls are still a reasonable option.

They can't all be the best medium of recorded music ever.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: November 26, 2014, 09:29:05 am »
+2

Games are cool; people suck:

http://imgur.com/gallery/FrUU1

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: November 26, 2014, 09:57:59 am »
+12

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: November 26, 2014, 10:14:18 am »

In the late '80s, yes, but vinyl was still big in the early '80s and were in shops as often as cassettes. And cheaper too!

But the '80s saw a huge leap in technology. It didn't take much to go from viable to obsolete.

And then there's the poor laserdisc. Bastard didn't even stand a chance.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: November 26, 2014, 11:17:54 am »
+1

Sometimes little reminders of how much older you are to others can pop up unexpectedly.

I was talking with a guy about the scene in Coming to America where the two villains from Trading Places made a cameo. He scratched his head for a moment and asked, "So Trading Places came out before Coming to America?"

While 5 years is not a whole lot of difference when you're looking at IMDB, it really sticks with you when you grow up with the movies because I knew of a 5-year period where Trading Places existed while Coming to America did not. That'd be like some kid 20 years from now not knowing that Iron Man came out before the Avengers.

But then, I’m not immune, am I? Without consulting IMDB, I don't really know which came first: Breakfast at Tiffany's or Some Like It Hot. And I'm sure that someone out there would be sputtering, "How could you not know?"

Note that this is also a matter of knowing pop culture and pop culture references *and* having particular tastes in movies.  While it's certainly less obscure than asking whether the bottom or top quark was discovered first, it's much more obscure than asking whether Challenger exploded before or after the Berlin Wall fell.

I've never actually seen Coming to America, though I have seen Trading Places.

Fun useless trivia: the parents in Coming to America... also voiced Simba's parents in The Lion King.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: November 26, 2014, 11:19:42 am »

My high school physics teacher used laserdiscs in class

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: November 26, 2014, 11:56:43 am »

One of my college CS Professors used an overhead projector with transparencies. The angle that the ceiling projector was such that he couldn't write on the portion of the whiteboard it projected onto like he wanted to. He still had all his transparencies, so the second day of class he wheeled in an overhead projector. It was pretty hilarious.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: November 26, 2014, 11:59:10 am »

I had when teachers use projectors or powerpoint to lecture.  It's a lecture; you should be writing stuff on the board.  If there's so much stuff to write that it's not efficient to write it on the board, you probably shouldn't be displaying it anyway.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: November 26, 2014, 12:04:12 pm »

I had when teachers use projectors or powerpoint to lecture.  It's a lecture; you should be writing stuff on the board.  If there's so much stuff to write that it's not efficient to write it on the board, you probably shouldn't be displaying it anyway.
My professors use a program called Dyknow, which is like powerpoint, but the slides appear on your computer when the professor gets to them.  They can write and draw on the slides (because everyone has tablet PC's here), so it's a lot like writing on the board.  Some professors just use it like powerpoint though and it's really frustrating... I need to be able to write down things so I don't lose concentration in class.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: November 26, 2014, 12:11:23 pm »
+2

I have been attending and giving lectures for quite some time, and in my opinion slides can easily be overused, but the board can be too.

For instance, large drawings are nice to have in slides. Animations are also nice and they just don't work on the board. Visualization of functions in 3d, for instance, usually take too much time to draw "on the fly", and they don't look as nice. Also, if you are teaching programming, especially functional or logical programming, changing the code and showing the output on a projected screen is WAY better than writing it on the board.

Of course, having a slide with equations to do a proof or a solution to an exercise is usually pretty bad, because sometimes the audience will have the ideas in a different order, or a different implementation, and you want to follow that instead of squeezing them into your previously thought proof. If you are not trying to engage the audience into building the proof/solution with you, you are doing it wrong.

That being said, I tried to get a parallel degree in philosophy while being an undergrad in CS* and there were lecturers that used no visual aid. No slide, no transparency, no writing on the board, no nothing. That was enough for me to leave the school and never come back. That is not a class.

*: Small explanation for people who went to college in the US or somewhere else with a similar system: In here, university is usually 6 years (which is roughly BS + Ms for scientific disciplines, and usually ends with a thesis) of classes that are directly related to your career. For CS you have math, some intro to physics and chemistry, CS-specific classes and nothing more. In my understanding, degrees in the US are a lot more broad-spectrum, with about half of it actually teaching the specifics of your "major". CS is in the exact and natural science school and philosophy is in the humanities school, so classes are completely separate.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 230  All

Page created in 2 seconds with 20 queries.