Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1225428 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #1775 on: November 12, 2014, 06:23:49 pm »

oh yea, my PC also warned me that the files could be dangerous when I unpacked. ahm. No idea why I ran it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: November 12, 2014, 06:26:13 pm »
+3

I just got an email

(translate)

dear telekom customer,
your current bill for your customer ID 69583 is ready in PDF format for you *link*

in your account, you will find all bills in the bills-overview
the immediate value of 230,38€ will shortly be charged from your account

best regards,
your telekom

I don't have an account, or have done anything that could warrant such a high bill. the link contains a .zip which contains an .exe with an icon that resembles .pdf. Upon running it (I know, I shouldn't have), it deleted itself.

I got a bad feeling. I think I recall a virus once that I installed which took effect after restarting my PC. what should I do?

You should Google for information on this email and find out how to deal with the virus you just installed.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: November 12, 2014, 06:30:48 pm »
+9

I just got an email

(translate)

dear telekom customer,
your current bill for your customer ID 69583 is ready in PDF format for you *link*

in your account, you will find all bills in the bills-overview
the immediate value of 230,38€ will shortly be charged from your account

best regards,
your telekom

I don't have an account, or have done anything that could warrant such a high bill. the link contains a .zip which contains an .exe with an icon that resembles .pdf. Upon running it (I know, I shouldn't have), it deleted itself.

I got a bad feeling. I think I recall a virus once that I installed which took effect after restarting my PC. what should I do?

I know a nigerian prince who is an expert in dealing with these sorts of things. Just give me $1000 and I'll get you in touch with him.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: November 12, 2014, 06:34:06 pm »
+2

But on a serious note, do what last footnote said, run an anti-virus program, and dont use your computer for anything which would involve sensitive information, or really anything at all besides getting rid of the virus.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: November 12, 2014, 06:36:39 pm »
+1

I'm lucky that not too many telemarketers have my phone number. Occasionally I'll get a call from one. As soon as I'm certain the person I'm talking to is a telemarketer, I hang up. I don't say "Goodbye" or "No thank you" or "I'm not interested". It's their job not to take "No" for an answer, so I feel being polite is a waste of my time and their time.

That's my random contribution for today.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: November 12, 2014, 06:38:58 pm »

okay, I found a bunch of sites that warn about this email and say it's spam. I didn't find anything about a virus though, I think most people were smart enough not to run it.

I panicked when read the mail, because I thought I might have screwed up somehow and wasted a lot of money, that's why I didn't think more before opening it.

I also googled the email address and found a facebook page of a chinese "company". the site has 1 like. okay.

I guess I'll install a virus program... I don't have one yet :)

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: November 12, 2014, 06:44:03 pm »

okay, I found a bunch of sites that warn about this email and say it's spam. I didn't find anything about a virus though, I think most people were smart enough not to run it.

I panicked when read the mail, because I thought I might have screwed up somehow and wasted a lot of money, that's why I didn't think more before opening it.

I also googled the email address and found a facebook page of a chinese "company". the site has 1 like. okay.

I guess I'll install a virus program... I don't have one yet :)

You should really have an anti-virus program. But after the whole email attachment debacle of 2014 I suppose I shouldn't be surprised you don't.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: November 12, 2014, 07:02:58 pm »

You don't have an anti-virus ? You do know there are a bunch of free ones that are pretty decent yes ?

I mean how is that even possible, don't computers come with anti-virus already installed anyway ?
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: November 12, 2014, 07:09:58 pm »

You don't have an anti-virus ? You do know there are a bunch of free ones that are pretty decent yes ?

I mean how is that even possible, don't computers come with anti-virus already installed anyway ?

I bought this PC from a guy who didn't need it anymore ages ago. and I re-installed windows a bunch of times

man, I don't like anti virus programs. They are annoying. Keep telling you not to do stuff.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: November 12, 2014, 07:12:13 pm »
+6

I bought this PC from a guy who didn't need it anymore ages ago. and I re-installed windows a bunch of times

man, I don't like anti virus programs. They are annoying. Keep telling you not to do stuff.

Yeah... Most of the things they tell you not to do involve installing viruses...

Edit: Also, at this point you want a virus scanner and destroyer. Probably several, since they frequently do slightly different jobs. MalwareBytes and Spybot are both good ones, I believe. I would also look in the install and see what the files are called. Try googling those file names as well to see if people have specific advice on getting rid of them.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 07:14:23 pm by GeoLib »
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: November 12, 2014, 07:15:26 pm »

yea, or... I could just not install anything and keep things simple. it has worked for several years now.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: November 12, 2014, 07:22:40 pm »
+3

Assuming Windows (which it should be if you're running .exe), run a System Restore to revert your computer to a time before you opened it. You should have one at least within the past day/week/month, and in theory it shouldn't delete any documents, it'll only revert installed programs.

If you can't do that, you can either Google all the things if you remember what it was called, or backup everything then factory reset. I recommend the 2nd because deleting viruses can be notoriously hard. The revert is 99.9% likely to work, and the reset is 100% likely to work. (I've yet to see a virus that manages to embed itself into the recovery files used in System Restore, but it could happen. I have, however, had a virus that embedded itself into a critical system file, and any attempts to remove that file caused the whole computer to become unusable.)

In either case, once done download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and run a scan to be sure, then download any free anti-virus that sounds good. (MBAM is very good at catching things once they're on the computer, but the free version doesn't do anything to stop them in the first place IIRC.)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 07:27:25 pm by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: November 12, 2014, 07:28:57 pm »

Assuming Windows (which it should be if you're running .exe), run a System Restore to revert your computer to a time before you opened it. You should have one at least within the past day/week/month, and in theory it shouldn't delete any documents, it'll only revert installed programs.
well I downloaded a scanner for this occasion, ran it, and then restarted. my computer didn't explode, so I'll assume the problem is solved and I don't need a system restore anymore. I'm not sure yet if I keep it (that is, the virus program). It already annoyed me by requesting a restart twice in a row, and wanting to install all kinds of browser addons.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: November 12, 2014, 07:32:31 pm »
+3

While most people intend to not install viruses and spyware on their computers, it's still recommended to get an anti-virus to make it tougher for those programs that try to install themselves without your permission.  It's very possible that your computer has been infected for several years now without you even being aware of it.

I use Avast Anti-Virus.  It updates automatically.  About once a year it makes me to renew my free license.  Every couple of months it tells me that some of my programs are not up-to-date and suggests that I update them.  Sometimes it tells me that I almost stepped into a virus-y webpage off of some random link or a popup ad, but hey -- it blocked it.  Thanks Avast!  Other than these rare instances, it doesn't get in the way at all.

If you really can't stand the idea of having an antivirus, you should really run some flavour of Linux instead.  I mean, if you aren't going to be installing anything, then why would you want Windows anyway?

PPE: what scanner did you download that's prompting you to install browser addons?  I hope you didn't just download another virus...  ???

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: November 12, 2014, 07:33:46 pm »
+1

well I downloaded a scanner for this occasion, ran it, and then restarted. my computer didn't explode, so I'll assume the problem is solved and I don't need a system restore anymore. I'm not sure yet if I keep it (that is, the virus program). It already annoyed me by requesting a restart twice in a row, and wanting to install all kinds of browser addons.

Well, if it's asking that, it means it's still there...

The idea with malware/viruses is that you don't give them any chances, you purge them with cleansing fire, or in this case cleansing backups. If you have a restore point it's ~10-20 minutes of downtime tops.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: November 12, 2014, 07:39:16 pm »

It's very possible that your computer has been infected for several years now without you even being aware of it.
that's not very likely, because I am re-installing windows about once a year

PPE: what scanner did you download that's prompting you to install browser addons?  I hope you didn't just download another virus...  ???
It was asking rather nicely, and it didn't do anything when I said no, so I doubt that it is. I just typed "virus cleaner" or something like that in google, and clicked on the first link. it's called kaparsky.

the thing with anti virus software is, everyone always says it's absolutely necessary and you can't possibly not have it. I never had any, and I never got in trouble for it. So... why start? I mean you could call what happened now trouble, but a) I was being stupid, and even windows warned me, and b) nothing bad has actually happened. Maybe something would have happened if I didn't run the scan before rebooting, but I don't even know that.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: November 12, 2014, 07:46:44 pm »
+2

Wearing a seat belt is also stupid. Never had any use for the thing in my life! Same goes for wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle and home insurance too, totally useless.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: November 12, 2014, 07:48:49 pm »

I'm lucky that not too many telemarketers have my phone number. Occasionally I'll get a call from one. As soon as I'm certain the person I'm talking to is a telemarketer, I hang up. I don't say "Goodbye" or "No thank you" or "I'm not interested". It's their job not to take "No" for an answer, so I feel being polite is a waste of my time and their time.

That's my random contribution for today.

I HATE telemarketers. With a passion. I would dig up whoever invented the concept, take a dump in his grave, and bury him/her again for him/her to rot in my feces, and still think I am being kind to his/her memory. HatehatehateHATE them.

I get called an average of five times a day, especially right after lunch. It is really distressing. Because they call numbers automatically, it usually takes ~2 secs for them to actually pick up the phone after I do, so I usually hang up if there is no sound during the first two seconds.

It does mean that I tend to hang up on my older relatives, but they tend to call again right after anyway.

Back to silver: the problem with virus is not only that they can brick your computer. The problem is that they can collect private information (passwords, credit card number, etc.).
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: November 12, 2014, 07:50:45 pm »

Wearing a seat belt is also stupid. Never had any use for the thing in my life! Same goes for wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle and home insurance too, totally useless.

There is no comparable risk though. worst case, I can't do anything anymore, then I do a data restore and that's that. and even if I didn't have one, worst case is I lose everything on my hard drive. I could live with that.

Back to silver: the problem with virus is not only that they can brick your computer. The problem is that they can collect private information (passwords, credit card number, etc.).

sigh. okay, you convinced me. I'll install all the fluff. but not today.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: November 12, 2014, 08:01:10 pm »
+2

It's very possible that your computer has been infected for several years now without you even being aware of it.
that's not very likely, because I am re-installing windows about once a year

It was asking rather nicely, and it didn't do anything when I said no, so I doubt that it is. I just typed "virus cleaner" or something like that in google, and clicked on the first link. it's called kaparsky.

the thing with anti virus software is, everyone always says it's absolutely necessary and you can't possibly not have it. I never had any, and I never got in trouble for it. So... why start? I mean you could call what happened now trouble, but a) I was being stupid, and even windows warned me, and b) nothing bad has actually happened. Maybe something would have happened if I didn't run the scan before rebooting, but I don't even know that.

Man, I think the inconvenience of re-installing windows annually far outweighs the inconvenience of having an antivirus program.  But OK, if you do that and you're careful, cool.  But I still really want to ask -- why would you subject yourself to this when it isn't necessary?

Is that Kaspersky?

The thing about viruses is that the trouble isn't necessarily something you will notice, or something that you'd attribute to a malicious program.  If your computer is slowing down, it's easy to blame it on the machine getting older, for example.

The best thing you can do to stay safe online is to be vigilant, but nobody can be 100% on guard.  You could restrict your activity to a small subset of trusted websites, but that's boring and still not a guarantee of safety.  A trusted website can be breached and start infecting visitors, for example.  An antivirus program adds an extra layer of security that can protect you when you are stupid or when something bad happens that is beyond your control.

Anyway, I highly recommend Avast.  I already outlined how obtrusive it is above -- not at all.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: November 12, 2014, 08:06:53 pm »
+1

Is that Kaspersky?
uh, yea. that.

Man, I think the inconvenience of re-installing windows annually far outweighs the inconvenience of having an antivirus program.  But OK, if you do that and you're careful, cool.  But I still really want to ask -- why would you subject yourself to this when it isn't necessary?
that is a very interesting question, and I don't think I can answer it... I do/used to do that with a bunch of things. It's probably a psychological thing. there is no rational reason why I used to prefer reinstalling windows over an anti virus program.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: November 12, 2014, 08:55:49 pm »

Avast is also what I'd recommend, along with Malwarebytes, which has also been mentioned already. Both free, easy to use, non-obtrusive (as long as you put Avast on mute, otherwise it tells you every time it's updated and it's annoying) and effective.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: November 12, 2014, 09:21:44 pm »
+3

Avast is also what I'd recommend, along with Malwarebytes, which has also been mentioned already. Both free, easy to use, non-obtrusive (as long as you put Avast on mute, otherwise it tells you every time it's updated and it's annoying) and effective.

Is it that annoying?  It's a small popup in the corner of the screen that disappears after a delay, or if you click the X.  I remember older versions had a voice that said something like "Avast updated" and that was sometimes a very mild disturbance, but now it's just a quick ding or something.  It doesn't really bother me at all.

@silverspawn, three cheers for irrationality. :)

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: November 12, 2014, 09:42:45 pm »
+1

The voice was what I was referring to, it was pretty loud (maybe that's just the French version or something), though I also found the pop-up itself somewhat annoying since I really don't care all that much that avast is updating. But it's easy enough to disable, so.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: November 12, 2014, 09:44:02 pm »

The one thing about Avast is that it's constantly telling me Goko Salvager is bad.  That's, like, the unpardonable sin.

I still use it though (both).
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 230  All

Page created in 2.643 seconds with 20 queries.