Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: secret chamber + market square  (Read 1625 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
secret chamber + market square
« on: August 16, 2014, 05:11:59 am »

Sorry, this is probably answered somewhere in the "playing multiple reactions" thread on BGG, but that's long and a little polemical, so I thought I'd ask here.

Sarah has one card left in her deck, and five in her hand. Let's say the deck card is a silver. She has secret chamber and market square in her hand. Her opponent plays a knight, trashing the silver and leaving Sarah with an empty deck. Can Sarah: reveal market square, discard it, gaining a gold, reveal secret chamber, necessarily drawing market square and gold, putting some combination of two cards on top of her deck, reveal market square, discard it, gain a second gold?)

(I think the answer is, surely yes; also, we can think of less contrived, but luckier, situations, where Sarah shuffles and happens to draw a market square, and then how can you know if it's "the same one" she already discarded or not?)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
Re: secret chamber + market square
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 05:24:40 am »
+5

Sorry, this is probably answered somewhere in the "playing multiple reactions" thread on BGG, but that's long and a little polemical, so I thought I'd ask here.

Sarah has one card left in her deck, and five in her hand. Let's say the deck card is a silver. She has secret chamber and market square in her hand. Her opponent plays a knight, trashing the silver and leaving Sarah with an empty deck. Can Sarah: reveal market square, discard it, gaining a gold, reveal secret chamber, necessarily drawing market square and gold, putting some combination of two cards on top of her deck, reveal market square, discard it, gain a second gold?)

(I think the answer is, surely yes; also, we can think of less contrived, but luckier, situations, where Sarah shuffles and happens to draw a market square, and then how can you know if it's "the same one" she already discarded or not?)
No; once the knight has started resolving, it's too late to reveal Secret Chamber. You have to reveal it before the attack does anything.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 07:12:13 am »

No; once the knight has started resolving, it's too late to reveal Secret Chamber. You have to reveal it before the attack does anything.

ohhhh, rats. thanks.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 08:40:16 pm »

The important point here is that Secret Chamber and Market Square react to two different events, so you can't choose the order to resolve them. Secret Chamber reacts to the Attack being played, so you have to reveal it before the Attack does anything. Market Square reacts to one of your cards being trashed, so you can't discard it until and unless one of your cards actually gets trashed.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 09:28:28 pm »

You could reveal a Secret Chamber to put a specific card on top of your deck that you are willing to trash, then after Knight hits you can discard Market Square for the Gold.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.