Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 350406 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #950 on: March 26, 2016, 10:11:00 am »

I mean, it's Seth Rogen, what did you expect?

Without trying to make a point, i don't know who that is. After your statement, i don't want to learn it, either.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 26, 2016, 11:52:25 am »

that sounds like something that I would think.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 28, 2016, 07:54:43 am »

Forgetting that Google gave me a free month of Showtime as compensation, I started watching it in the final week of my freebie. I stumbled across Reeker.

The opening scene bugged the hell out of me. A woman was driving her family down the highway when she hits a deer. I think she pressed on the brakes once, but mostly she spends at least 2-3 seconds fumbling for the windshield wipers. By the time she got the wipers working and the gore wiped off, she should have already been stopped, because who the hell keeps speeding down the highway with an obstructed view?

I almost did not watch the rest of the movie because of that stupidity. After the movie, it occurred to me that there was a reason why they showed her still driving rather than stopped. It was tied to the fates of the college students that get hunted down and slaughtered like in most slasher flicks.

This movie was a fairly pedestrian horror flick, but as I thought about the ending, I realized that the movie was being rather clever. The problem is that you cannot tell how clever it was being until after the movie is over. So while I recognize the effort the filmmakers made to develop something interesting and neat, you're distracted by how uninspiring the movie looks when the scenes are being played out.

I walked away from this with the opinion that I would not recommend the movie to anyone. I still wouldn't say it was a great movie, but I gained an appreciation for what the filmmakers were trying to do, even if I feel they didn't quite reach their goal.

This movie came out in 2005, and I never heard of it. I'd have to think it was released theatrically, but I have no memory of any trailers. It made not even a whimper. Has anyone else heard of this movie?
A man has no signature

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: April 03, 2016, 01:57:12 pm »

Quote from: Kuildeous link=topic=11628.msg583041#msg583041

This movie came out in 2005, and I never heard of it. I'd have to think it was released theatrically, but I have no memory of any trailers. It made not even a whimper. Has anyone else heard of this movie?

I heard about this movie about 5 seconds ago on this message board for this interesting deck building game.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 03, 2016, 03:04:45 pm »

I saw Midnight Special last night.  Overall worthwhile watch I would say.  I think maybe it was hyped as a little more.. significant than it was, but still it was good.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 11, 2016, 03:16:13 pm »

I saw Midnight Special last night.  Overall worthwhile watch I would say.  I think maybe it was hyped as a little more.. significant than it was, but still it was good.

Jeff Nichols is a really promising director, I quite liked Take Shelter and I'm looking forward to seeing Midnight Special.

That said, has anyone seen Hail,Caesar!? It hasn't been so well received like I thought it would, but I really loved it.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: April 12, 2016, 12:59:35 am »

I saw it without having heard anything at all about it and quite liked it.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: April 22, 2016, 10:53:49 pm »

I think Ponyo was pretty underwhelming, as Miyazaki movies go. I have no desire to own it at this time.

Truth be told this was the first Miyazaki movie I had seen and still the only one I have seen. I should probably remedy that at some point as I know many love his movies... Maybe the next time I see one in the $5 bin.

Princess Mononoke is my absolute favorite, but buy My Neighbor Totoro today and watch it a million times with your daughter.  She'll relate to Mei now, then Satsuki when she's older.

Finally watched this. On sale at Costco helped prompt us to get it. Somehow I missed that the youngest daughter's name is the same as my daughter (different spelling) but it meant that she was completely and totally enamored with the show. Major success. We will be watching it over and over again for many years to come I would guess.

And the best part is that the movie was really quite good (probably a heretical statement to make, but I actually liked Ponyo more...) I had forgotten most of the previous conversation here and actually ended up interpreting the movie as being about death. But rewinding and comparing the sandals changed my mind. Not that I would really mind the movie being about that and don't mind that others interpret it that way.

Favorite part was the seed growing dance.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 23, 2016, 10:05:01 am »

I think Ponyo was pretty underwhelming, as Miyazaki movies go. I have no desire to own it at this time.

Truth be told this was the first Miyazaki movie I had seen and still the only one I have seen. I should probably remedy that at some point as I know many love his movies... Maybe the next time I see one in the $5 bin.

Princess Mononoke is my absolute favorite, but buy My Neighbor Totoro today and watch it a million times with your daughter.  She'll relate to Mei now, then Satsuki when she's older.

Finally watched this. On sale at Costco helped prompt us to get it. Somehow I missed that the youngest daughter's name is the same as my daughter (different spelling) but it meant that she was completely and totally enamored with the show. Major success. We will be watching it over and over again for many years to come I would guess.

And the best part is that the movie was really quite good (probably a heretical statement to make, but I actually liked Ponyo more...) I had forgotten most of the previous conversation here and actually ended up interpreting the movie as being about death. But rewinding and comparing the sandals changed my mind. Not that I would really mind the movie being about that and don't mind that others interpret it that way.

I fully support more kids growing up watching Studio Ghibli movies.  In America, most children grow up with standard princess Disney movies.  But I think Ghibli is way way way way better, and the kind of movies that children should grow up watching.  They're (I think) accessible to children, but layered enough that there is something to get from it as you grow up and understand more. 

I just really dislike Disney.  I'm also still bitter that this girl I was dating made me watch Frozen.  She would also listen to the music over and over.  And she was in her late 20's.  We don't date any more.

And, yes, the seed growing dance was awesome.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 23, 2016, 10:16:15 am »

I fully support more kids growing up watching Studio Ghibli movies.  In America, most children grow up with standard princess Disney movies.  But I think Ghibli is way way way way better, and the kind of movies that children should grow up watching.  They're (I think) accessible to children, but layered enough that there is something to get from it as you grow up and understand more. 

I just really dislike Disney.  I'm also still bitter that this girl I was dating made me watch Frozen.  She would also listen to the music over and over.  And she was in her late 20's.  We don't date any more.

Right. The main reason we were attracted to Ponyo, knowing nothing except what we read on the back cover was that it was about a young girl (instead of a teen or grown woman) trying to find fun and happiness and childlike love instead of trying to find her man. My daughter likes the Little Mermaid, but adores Ponyo. Same thing with Totoro. Very few shows feature young, young children that are watchable for adults.

Speaking of which... Anyone watch, or watch with their kids, Pocoyo? TV show, so different thread. But it is completely brilliant.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #960 on: April 23, 2016, 10:24:16 am »

Oh yeah, Disney is cancer.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: April 23, 2016, 11:41:51 am »

I second that Ghibli is great. I saw Spirited Away recently, and thought it was a masterpiece.

Disney, dunno, I like Frozen.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: April 23, 2016, 12:14:40 pm »

Ghibli is the best.

Disney (even without accounting for Pixar) is better than its reputation, just very inconsistent
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: April 23, 2016, 12:34:08 pm »

Disney is fine, why do people even complain about Disney. They can't all be the best animation studio ever.

Seriously though, I love the Lion King, Hercules, Aladdin. I feel like the movies with a female protagonist are a bit more hit-and-miss, though, but I don't know if that's just because I am a guy or because they are indeed more unequal.

On the other hand, the lack of a cohesive plot in (most?) Ghibli movies really bothers me.

Dunno, that sounds like being annoyed at someone because they still like video games in their late 20's. To each their own.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: April 23, 2016, 12:40:52 pm »

Live Action family Disney movies are hot garbage and all deserve to burn in a fire. You know the ones, the movies based on the TV shows that they have on their channel that are just horrible and lame, or the remakes of the old cartoons like Cinderella and Peter Pan. And no, I'm not including the acquisitions like Marvel and Lucas Arts in this list of Live Action family Disney movies, though I don't know how to really differentiate them from the movies I despise from Disney with my current definition, since they're all tecnically live action family Disney movies in the first place.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:42:22 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: April 23, 2016, 01:28:09 pm »

Dude, watch Wreck It Ralph.  It is awesome.  Your Disney hate is uncalled for.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: April 23, 2016, 01:31:09 pm »

Dude, watch Wreck It Ralph.  It is awesome. 
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #967 on: April 23, 2016, 02:09:52 pm »

Disney is fine, why do people even complain about Disney. They can't all be the best animation studio ever.

The only thing I'm wondering is why don't more people complain about Disney. They've completely butchered a lot of the original stories some of their movies are based on, some of their (even pretty new) movies like Aladdin and Pocahontas are frustratingly ethnocentric, and then there's the whole issue with how their merchandise is produced and human rights and all that stuff. I mean, I probably have some products made in sweatshops as well, but that's out of necessity, and I don't feel like it's at all necessary to support Disney in any way (I also try to avoid financially supporting anything Ghibli related, although I have no issue with their movies so I still watch them and give them the credit that I think they deserve).

Dunno, that sounds like being annoyed at someone because they still like video games in their late 20's. To each their own.

Being annoyed at someone because they still like video games in their late 20's is like being annoyed at someone because they still like animation in their late 20's. Being annoyed at someone because they still like Frozen to that degree in their late 20's is more like being annoyed at someone because they still always order the Happy Meal at McDonald's in their late 20's (the sweatshop thing being roughly comparable in this case, too).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 02:42:24 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 23, 2016, 02:49:03 pm »

Seriously though, I love the Lion King, Hercules, Aladdin. I feel like the movies with a female protagonist are a bit more hit-and-miss, though, but I don't know if that's just because I am a guy or because they are indeed more unequal.

On the other hand, the lack of a cohesive plot in (most?) Ghibli movies really bothers me.

But video games have intricate stories, character development, drama, story telling.  Frozen had.. a mildly entertaining snow man.  It's more, like, Disney keeps rehashing the same story with the same princess but with slightly different skin tone, and the same love interests with slightly differing levels of 'charming scoundralness'.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: April 23, 2016, 02:50:35 pm »

Dude, watch Wreck It Ralph.  It is awesome.  Your Disney hate is uncalled for.

Okay, they aren't all bad.  I haven't actually seen Wreck It Ralph, but I wanted to.  I'd believe that it was god.  Lion King was not bad.

And Pixar movies are generally okay; I wasn't including those in 'Disney', if there is indeed a relation.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: April 23, 2016, 02:58:40 pm »

I'll vouch for Zootopia, too, which is surprisingly awesome.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: April 23, 2016, 03:14:51 pm »
+1

A wise man once said that Plot is overrated.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: April 23, 2016, 04:12:12 pm »

More like madman. Plot is everything!
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #973 on: April 23, 2016, 04:20:46 pm »

Thus, everything is overrated.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: April 23, 2016, 04:21:22 pm »

Then it makes even less sense that you don't like attack of the clones!
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 60  All

Page created in 1.296 seconds with 20 queries.