Miscellaneous > General Discussion

Movies: Any movie buffs?

<< < (299/299)

vidicate:

--- Quote from: Glitters on March 26, 2022, 01:57:20 pm ---Finally watched Moana and fell in love with computer-drawn tropical isles :'(

--- End quote ---
Shiny!

GendoIkari:
I just watched Upstream Color last week (finally). And then just watched it again tonight. It's wonderful, and definitely something that needs to be watched more than once. Not something that's for everyone, though.

Awaclus:
I just rewatched the extended Hobbit trilogy and after all, I wouldn't say they're better than the LOTR movies. The story is fundamentally much more appealing to me because of how much of the conflict is not strictly good versus evil but a bunch of sides with conflicting selfish but somewhat justified motivations, visually the movies are beautiful with the exception of a couple of bizarrely weak looking VFX shots in Desolation of Smaug in the barrel fight scene and with the molten gold in Erebor (bizarre because of how much VFX there is, with almost all of it looking great, including stuff which I am under the impression should be a lot more difficult to get to look good), and considering of the scope of the source material it's really impressive to what level they were able to elevate it, but overall the LOTR movies are like consistently on a very high level that I think An Unexpected Journey can mostly match but the other two largely can't quite, except during some of their strongest moments.

Nonetheless, I still think a lot of the hate the Hobbit trilogy got was for stupid reasons and it's definitely a very worthwhile addition to the LOTR films. I'll probably rewatch the extended LOTR movies next and see if I still think this after that.

Awaclus:
Having now rewatched the extended LOTR too, yeah that was a pretty good assessment. I think the main reason why the theatrical editions I watched a few years ago felt so disappointing was simply how much content is left out and how much of it is actually super important, especially in Two Towers. Fellowship of the Ring actually felt a bit rushed even with the extended edition, not necessarily because I'm missing the content from the book that wasn't included, it's more that the scenes that are there aren't long enough to really convey the length of the journey or the gravity of some of those situations.

Official ranking of all of the six extended movies: Return of the King > Two Towers > Unexpected Journey > Fellowship of the Ring >>> Battle of the Five Armies > Desolation of Smaug, with Desolation of Smaug still being really good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version