Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: f.ds adventure  (Read 729 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
f.ds adventure
« on: July 21, 2014, 08:55:05 am »
+3

So, I had an idea, which might or might not end up becoming an actual game. Most likely not. But hey, who knows?

Basically, it's an old school JRPG-style game. The premise of the plot is that the evil King Zong has been banning innocent people, so a group of heroes (who are all Wandering Winder) go on a quest to defeat Zong. And that's all I have for the time being, and it's definitely not final by any means.

Obviously there would have to be more than just inside jokes to the game, because it's not really worth anyone's time to play a game just for the inside jokes, much less making it. So there's the problem that it has to be actually good, and this might be difficult to achieve. The other problem is, do we have enough inside jokes and is it possible to present them all in clever enough ways (rather than just replacing every instance of the word mine with mint or something equally stupid) to make that the main point in the game, and if not, what should be the main point and is it even meaningful to make the game at all then. Yet another problem is, is it worth it to make a game that only f.ds actives can enjoy, and if not, is it possible to make it enjoyable for other groups of people too, without having to make too much compromises (a natural way would be including mostly non-f.ds Dominion/board game references, so that all Dominion players can get it). And the final problem is finding the people who are committed enough to actually make the game.

So, considering all of the problems with this project, putting a lot of effort into it at this point doesn't seem wise. But the fact that it might never become an actual playable game doesn't have to prevent us from having fun planning it! I've had tons of fun with all kinds of projects that never ended up becoming anything more than that, so that's just fine.

Any comments or ideas?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Re: f.ds adventure
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 09:50:40 am »

I think you'd have a really narrow audience if you used forum denizens for characters. Inside jokes aside, an outsider isn't going to feel a strong connection to Wandering Winder without some strong writing. It's possible, but it would be disappointing if people didn't get it.

A Dominion-themed game might receive a broader reception. The poor Scout is out to make a name for himself, and he does so by freeing the surrounding estates, duchies, and provinces from the clutches of the Barons, Sea Hags, and Bureaucrats. It would still have some jokes that outsiders wouldn't get, but there are plenty of Dominion fans.

Basically, try to write it broadly enough that it can appeal to everyone. I think of South Park: The Stick of Truth. I hadn't watched South Park for a few years, but I still could enjoy the jokes that refer to newer episodes (like Al Gore's Man-Bear-Pig). I do wonder how the game would look to someone who knew nothing of South Park, though.
A man has no signature
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 20 queries.