Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: Virginia, DC, East Coast US Meetup? Perhaps?  (Read 38383 times)

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
Re: Virginia, DC, East Coast US Meetup? Perhaps?
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2014, 09:46:27 pm »

Ok, this sounds like it will be a thing. I will see if I can figure out transport and lodging arrangements. I'm pumped!
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2014, 10:14:33 pm »

Ok, this sounds like it will be a thing. I will see if I can figure out transport and lodging arrangements. I'm pumped!

Just curious, where are you coming from? And do you know people in the DC that have a couch you can crash on? Wero already called dibs on mine.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2014, 10:25:36 pm »

Just curious, where are you coming from? And do you know people in the DC that have a couch you can crash on? Wero already called dibs on mine.

I'm coming from the Philly area. I've got various friends in colleges in the DC area. I also have a camping mattress if that floor space you mentioned is still available.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2014, 11:08:14 pm »

It could help.  I will devote some hours soon to sort out my collection and see what I can get together, then I'll let you know if I'll need assistance. I can avoid bring stuff like extra Colonies/Potions/Curses and work things out just fine.

Speaking of that, since I do not plan to bring all of my cards, list any cards you DO or DO NOT want to see from the old sets here.  I am already excluding Tournament, Urchin, Knights, Margrave, and Doctor for sure.  Will bring Watchtower, Prince and Black Market (BM deck will be just new set cards) at least.  If you have requests either way, speak here and I'll plan accordingly.

I was planning on bringing my copy of Hinterlands, which I've shoved the better-looking Base Cards into.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2014, 11:57:13 pm »

It could help.  I will devote some hours soon to sort out my collection and see what I can get together, then I'll let you know if I'll need assistance. I can avoid bring stuff like extra Colonies/Potions/Curses and work things out just fine.

Speaking of that, since I do not plan to bring all of my cards, list any cards you DO or DO NOT want to see from the old sets here.  I am already excluding Tournament, Urchin, Knights, Margrave, and Doctor for sure.  Will bring Watchtower, Prince and Black Market (BM deck will be just new set cards) at least.  If you have requests either way, speak here and I'll plan accordingly.

I was planning on bringing my copy of Hinterlands, which I've shoved the better-looking Base Cards into.

I can bring DA, Intrigue, and Prosperity (unsleeved).
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2014, 12:03:01 am »

The Board & Brew have all the sets so there's that. Not sure what the rules are for bringing your own games in.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2014, 12:11:09 am »

Ah, if there are rules that might be a complication?  I don't see any rules listed on their site.  One review on their Facebook indicates there is a charge for bringing your own games, but well, whatever.

I should be able to get 2 full sets of base cards for 3 player games ready, maybe even 4 player.  If we have ~5-6 people that seems fairly solid.  Speaking from experience, it's hard to shuffle sleeved cards with non-sleeved, but it doesn't hurt to have more sets sitting around I suppose. 

I can also bring Innovation, Hanabi, and Saboteur.  Those are the only games I have that are small enough to consider bringing.

PS I am jealous that these board game bar places are in like every city except the ones near me.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 12:14:08 am by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2014, 12:16:34 am »

They charge for you to bring in your own games...? Weird. What's the economic rationale for that? If we're doing things other than dominion, I have diplomacy, forbidden island, and a molecular modeling kit.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2014, 12:22:31 am »

I know there's a $5 charge for playing their games, probably per person but I'm not sure.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2014, 12:27:33 am »
+1

My guess is they just charge you $5 regardless of whose games you play, which makes some sense--they probably don't want freeloaders using their space.  I'm not that worried about it.  They can't all be the best $5 cover charge ever.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 25, 2014, 01:53:39 am »

I talked to some friends just a few days ago who went there recently, but it was at a birthday party so I was drinking a bit :)  If I remember correctly the $5 cover is per table.  My friends didn't say one way or the other about bringing in your own games, but I can't imagine the place objecting to that (they get the cover charge either way).  I think they want to make money on drinks while you play.  If you can't find anything on the web site, someone could just call them and ask.
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2014, 12:31:07 pm »

So I guess just post if you've decided you want to make the trip. If we get about 5 confirmed participants we can go ahead and lock down a specific date and time for that weekend, or maybe even a night and afternoon or something like that.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2014, 12:33:56 pm »

Is there any kind of train that goes to College Park from NYC?  I know there's a DC train.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 25, 2014, 12:45:49 pm »

Is there any kind of train that goes to College Park from NYC?  I know there's a DC train.

I could pick you up in DC if you need a ride from there.  Pretty sure it'll be on my way anyway.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 25, 2014, 12:49:12 pm »

The Tripper Bus goes to Bethesda or you could take the Bolt Bus or Megabus to DC. I can pick you up in Bethesda or you could take the metro to College Park or Takoma Park (where I live) and I can pick you up. I went to school in NYC and took the buses back and forth all the time. Do you have a place to crash?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 25, 2014, 01:29:42 pm »

The Tripper Bus goes to Bethesda or you could take the Bolt Bus or Megabus to DC. I can pick you up in Bethesda or you could take the metro to College Park or Takoma Park (where I live) and I can pick you up. I went to school in NYC and took the buses back and forth all the time. Do you have a place to crash?

If I were to take a trip I'd probably just get a hotel.  I'll have to see how everything fits schedulewise once you all decide everything, so mark me down as a "maybe".

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2014, 01:51:33 pm »

I am interested in this! I can help transport people from college park to bethesda/dc. I can NOT commit to hosting people at my house sadly. I also can't promise availability on the 25th - family time and such.

I have all of my Dominion sets at school unable to bring them home sadly. I do have a friend that has everything through dark ages more or less.

I also know multiple good FLGS. I reckon one that is more in the city (but easily accessible by Metro) would let us use their space for a tournament. It's called Labyrinth and has lots of table space for Dominion.

Also doable: during the day renting out rooms at libraries can be done. Seems a bit goofy but gives us all space in which we can play.

Just food for thought.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2014, 02:11:14 pm »

I am interested in this! I can help transport people from college park to bethesda/dc. I can NOT commit to hosting people at my house sadly. I also can't promise availability on the 25th - family time and such.

I have all of my Dominion sets at school unable to bring them home sadly. I do have a friend that has everything through dark ages more or less.

I also know multiple good FLGS. I reckon one that is more in the city (but easily accessible by Metro) would let us use their space for a tournament. It's called Labyrinth and has lots of table space for Dominion.

Also doable: during the day renting out rooms at libraries can be done. Seems a bit goofy but gives us all space in which we can play.

Just food for thought.

If we can get one of those places for one of the days that weekend, it might be a nice change of scenery from the B&B. 

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 25, 2014, 02:27:52 pm »

Yeah I'm down. Labyrinth is on Penn Ave in SE I think?

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 25, 2014, 04:36:25 pm »

I haven't been to Labyrinth but I've heard good things about it (I live out in Rockville so B&B is closer to me than Labyrinth normally, but Laby might actually be closer coming from MAGFest). 

For the people talking about trains from NYC, Union Station is a bus/Amtrak station and also a DC metro station, so you can get to College Park or down to Labyrinth from there. 

And Andrew's right, Labyrinth is on Penn Ave SE near Eastern Market metro.
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2014, 06:01:43 pm »

I'd potentially be down (+ have friends in DC who may want to attend), depending on the dates. Where in the DC area would this be?

Labyrinth would be great if you could guarantee there wouldn't be another event during the time, it is fairly small though. But I've always had a great time there.

Young Nick

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2014, 06:41:05 pm »

I'm not in DC right now, so I can't ask for sure, but the owner is super friendly about those type of things. I'll send an e-mail. As for the library stuff... I think many libraries offer this. Namely there are a few near Shaw if I remember correctly.

Issue with Labyrinth is that Christmas is chaos and thus I imagine they will be working after hours to restock the store while we are there.

Just going to selfishly shout out Child's Play as a great FLGS. My family and friends manage the local chain and if anyone wants to get games while in DC check it out (disclaimer: Christmas is a hell of a time).
@theblankman: Check out Rockville's Child's Play in Congressional Plaza. It won't disappoint.

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2014, 08:58:29 pm »

I'm not in DC right now, so I can't ask for sure, but the owner is super friendly about those type of things. I'll send an e-mail. As for the library stuff... I think many libraries offer this. Namely there are a few near Shaw if I remember correctly.

Issue with Labyrinth is that Christmas is chaos and thus I imagine they will be working after hours to restock the store while we are there.

Just going to selfishly shout out Child's Play as a great FLGS. My family and friends manage the local chain and if anyone wants to get games while in DC check it out (disclaimer: Christmas is a hell of a time).
@theblankman: Check out Rockville's Child's Play in Congressional Plaza. It won't disappoint.

Christmas? I think we're talking about January here, aren't we? Also, what's an FLGS?
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Young Nick

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2014, 09:01:59 pm »

woah woah woah I thought this was all December based. Count me out then. FLGS = friendly local game store.

Labyrinth is not available near Christmas but if it is January maybe y'all  can swing something. They also already have begun planning a Dominion tournament January 4th.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 26, 2014, 01:18:42 pm »
+1

OK everyone

I spent the morning (and part of afternoon) getting my cards arranged, properly sleeved, and making cuts where needed.

I now have my collection set up to provide THREE simultaneous games of three-player Dominion.  To do this, I had to chop down the number of Treasures in the supply, cut out Platinum/Colony/Ruins/Spoils, and two groups will have to use Shelters instead of Estates.  What a pity, right?  I just didn't pack any cards that use the missing things, so we're good.

The way I see it, with this setup we can accommodate nine players at time, which should hopefully be enough, and if only six come, then we can even play three two-player games with the new cards. 

Hope you're all excited.

If you guys want, I can set up a tournament once we know who all is coming for sure.  Otherwise, playing casually is totally fine as usual.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 01:19:53 pm by jsh357 »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.