Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion Sets Amazon Sales Rank  (Read 4271 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Dominion Sets Amazon Sales Rank
« on: July 09, 2014, 12:17:46 am »
+2

So, I was poking around on Amazon and looking at how well Dominion expansions currently sell, and the results might be somewhat interesting. So, what do you guys think of the sales rankings. Are you surprised by any of the results.

These are sales in Toys and Games on Amazon

1. Dominion- Around 300
2. Intrigue- 1400+
3. Prosperity- 3500+
4. Seaside- 4K+
5. Big Box- 4K+
6. Dark Ages- 7K+
7. Hinterlands- 9K+
8. Guilds- 9K+
9. Alchemy- 11K+
10. Base Cards- 14K+
11. Cornucopia- 22K+

Now, for me, I am really shocked that Cornucopia sells so poorly. It also looks like smaller expansions aren't as popular as bigger sets.

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: serakfalcon
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Sets Amazon Sales Rank
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 12:42:05 am »

I bought all my sets in local stores, my brother bought the big box from amazon and all the small ones from local stores to save shipping, could there be a similar effect going on?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 01:10:52 am »

I am still really shocked at Cornucopias sales. I would have thought that Alchemy would have been the one that sold so poorly.

I guess people really hate Tournament that much. Although, I wonder how many people who are buying Cornucopia have actually played it online before.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:12:40 am by Beyond Awesome »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 02:00:18 am »

I am still really shocked at Cornucopias sales. I would have thought that Alchemy would have been the one that sold so poorly.

I guess people really hate Tournament that much. Although, I wonder how many people who are buying Cornucopia have actually played it online before.
I'm surprised that the order isn't the order that they were released in, or even close to that (well, there are some very slight hints at the effect being there on some level, but not really). I thought that people buy them in that order and stop when they feel they have enough, unless availability is an issue.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 02:31:51 am »

The initial four sets are pretty close order-wise. Prosperity is only selling slightly better than Seaside. I'm guessing DA sells better than Hinterlands because it is slightly newer or people who have made it this far in Dominion like Dark Ages more for having more kingdom cards or something. Then, I guess smaller sets don't sell as well. But, Guilds being the best selling small set can be explained to it only having been out a year. I don't know. This is all speculation on my behalf.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 07:49:09 am »

Hey, I bought cornucopia on amazon!

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 08:57:34 am »

If I had to guess, lots of people got Alchemy from the big box, so that explains why it's sold so much less partially.  Then, since Alchemy is the least popular expansion, maybe some of those people decided to avoid small expansions and ignored Cornucopia. 

Guilds probably sold more since it's newer and more people are buying things online instead of in stores.  That or Dominion Online raised awareness of the game.

The theme might also be affecting Cornucopia's sales; I guess it sounds kind of bland when you haven't actually played with the cards.  What, a Thanksgiving themed Dominion set?  Wouldn't be my first choice...
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 10:49:15 am »
+5

It's also possible that most people like Alchemy fine and the haters are just a very vocal minority.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 11:08:18 am »
+1

I assume the numbers you give are the rank, so it's hard to tell what the disparity in sales is, but the most surprising thing to me is that the base cards are higher than anything. I wouldn't have thought that too many people felt that those cosmetics could add more to the game experience than a new set of different cards.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 11:24:27 am »

I assume the numbers you give are the rank, so it's hard to tell what the disparity in sales is, but the most surprising thing to me is that the base cards are higher than anything. I wouldn't have thought that too many people felt that those cosmetics could add more to the game experience than a new set of different cards.
Unless they are buying Base Cards + Expansion instead of Dominion or Intrigue. I'd be curious to know how often that happens 
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 11:38:01 am »

i bought all of my sets from amazon (in german though). Cornucopia is amazing, I think it's great that it has so many sales, but I wouldn't have guessed it. I wouldn't have guessed anything from this list, really.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 12:23:49 pm »

i bought all of my sets from amazon (in german though). Cornucopia is amazing, I think it's great that it has so many sales, but I wouldn't have guessed it. I wouldn't have guessed anything from this list, really.

You're looking at it wrong, the number is the rank. Cornucopia is apparently not selling well at all on Amazon.

Which is definitely a surprise to me. I'm not surprised it's selling worse than Alchemy because that came out much earlier, but I'm very surprised Guilds is ahead of it.

If I had had to guess, I would have gone chronological order.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 12:30:25 pm »

The higher the rank, the lower the sales. Regular old Dominion is around the 300th best selling item in the toys and games department of Amazon. Cards Against Humanity is #1. So, with Cornucopia being around 22,000 that means there are 22,000 other toys and board games that are selling better than it. Whereas with Dominion only 300 items sell better than it.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 12:35:21 pm »

It's also possible that most people like Alchemy fine and the haters are just a very vocal minority.

I doubt that. Alchemy is the least well executed set relative to its size. We have three really bad cards with Transmute, PStone, and I would like to argue Golem (I can see a case for Golem being an okay card, but you still almost always ignore it). And, then the set has Possession which is a huge turn off for a lot of causal players and even some not casual players. On Amazon, Alchemy has 4 out of 5 stars. The other expansions either are ranked 4.5 stars or 5 stars. Although, 4 stars is not bad, Alchemy is the only set with that rating.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 01:00:39 pm »

I don't think Golem is a bad card in terms of design, regardless of its power level. Same for Transmute.

THe design problem with Alchemy is that the potion mechanic is a little too random and can be awkward to setup : do you use full random or use the suggestion from the rulebook ? This is annoying for players who feel like they either aren't getting the full Alchemy experience, or have to choose each time to play Alchemy games or not.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 01:49:34 pm »

You're looking at it wrong, the number is the rank. Cornucopia is apparently not selling well at all on Amazon.

Which is definitely a surprise to me. I'm not surprised it's selling worse than Alchemy because that came out much earlier, but I'm very surprised Guilds is ahead of it.

If I had had to guess, I would have gone chronological order.

oh. i was wondering about the ranks, but I thought the last number was an indicator for sales, and the ranks were just a weird order

it's less surprising then. I also would've guessed chronological order. Cornucopia must somehow sound less exciting than Alchemy... i guess? dunno, but in any case, it's so much better than alchemy. poor people who don't buy it </3

I doubt that. Alchemy is the least well executed set relative to its size. We have three really bad cards with Transmute, PStone, and I would like to argue Golem (I can see a case for Golem being an okay card, but you still almost always ignore it). And, then the set has Possession which is a huge turn off for a lot of causal players and even some not casual players. On Amazon, Alchemy has 4 out of 5 stars. The other expansions either are ranked 4.5 stars or 5 stars. Although, 4 stars is not bad, Alchemy is the only set with that rating.
what's the problem with p.stone? too much hassle to count irl?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:50:51 pm by silverspawn »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 05:43:09 am »
+5

1. Dominion- Around 300
2. Intrigue- 1400+
3. Prosperity- 3500+
4. Seaside- 4K+
5. Big Box- 4K+
6. Dark Ages- 7K+
7. Hinterlands- 9K+
8. Guilds- 9K+
9. Alchemy- 11K+
10. Base Cards- 14K+
11. Cornucopia- 22K+

Now, for me, I am really shocked that Cornucopia sells so poorly. It also looks like smaller expansions aren't as popular as bigger sets.
These numbers change constantly. As we speak it's showing 5,587 for Cornucopia for me.

The general trends are 1) big sets sell better than small sets, and 2) older sets sell better than newer sets, except the newest set gets a boost. The small sets are half as big but don't cost half as much; there you have it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.