Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]  All

Author Topic: Apprentice 2: Quest for the Pointy Hat's (jotheonah wins!)  (Read 31785 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentice 2: Quest for the Pointy Hat's (jotheonah wins!)
« Reply #250 on: August 14, 2014, 01:38:10 am »

I guess a lot of the VPs are counted up at the end of the game, like my VPs per 2 fame cube tiles, or just 5 VP on a spell learned.

I was thinking a potion you could learn that just generates a VP every round after you learn it -- it'd have to cost a lot, though, or it could get out of hand.  Instead, how about a potion you could learn that gives you an extra rapport a turn, or an RSC each round?  Those already have tokens.  Is there one that does that already?  Or one that gives you a dollar every round.

I really like that idea, especially potions that give you extra Rapport or coins every turn. I wanted to design potions with more incentive to create them early rather than holding on to them. I'm not sure which potion effects I'd replace for this, and also it kind of sucks to draw this towards the end of the game. It'd still be good for vp though. Hmmm. Seems tricky to balance, but I love that sort of effect, something simple that lets you build up over time.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 14, 2014, 01:49:51 am »

I guess a lot of the VPs are counted up at the end of the game, like my VPs per 2 fame cube tiles, or just 5 VP on a spell learned.

I was thinking a potion you could learn that just generates a VP every round after you learn it -- it'd have to cost a lot, though, or it could get out of hand.  Instead, how about a potion you could learn that gives you an extra rapport a turn, or an RSC each round?  Those already have tokens.  Is there one that does that already?  Or one that gives you a dollar every round.

I really like that idea, especially potions that give you extra Rapport or coins every turn. I wanted to design potions with more incentive to create them early rather than holding on to them. I'm not sure which potion effects I'd replace for this, and also it kind of sucks to draw this towards the end of the game. It'd still be good for vp though. Hmmm. Seems tricky to balance, but I love that sort of effect, something simple that lets you build up over time.

What's good about, say, +1 Rapport every turn, is that while it affects what you can do each turn, it doesn't actually add points to track.  You can limit it, like "Gain 1 Rapport every turn, unless you have 5 or more Rapport."
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 14, 2014, 02:09:40 am »

What's good about, say, +1 Rapport every turn, is that while it affects what you can do each turn, it doesn't actually add points to track.  You can limit it, like "Gain 1 Rapport every turn, unless you have 5 or more Rapport."

That's a perfect limiter. I'm not sure which potions to change to try this on, though. You're right that it ought to be tough enough that it can't be done right away.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 14, 2014, 08:02:59 am »

You could easily enough add "points so far" to the player sheets on the spreadsheet for the Pbf version.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 14, 2014, 04:38:59 pm »

You could easily enough add "points so far" to the player sheets on the spreadsheet for the Pbf version.

I thought about doing this, but I'd either have to ignore the "at the end of the game" stuff or have to keep track of a lot of extra stuff each turn. The first risks heavily misrepresenting the score and the second risks me making mistakes, so I just decided against it. If you guys think it would help, though, I'd absolutely do one of the two for all future games.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 14, 2014, 05:05:11 pm »

I really liked the game, I'd post more comments but I'm on phone.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 15, 2014, 12:38:55 am »

I really liked the game, I'd post more comments but I'm on phone.

Glad you enjoyed it! :D

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]  All

Page created in 2.417 seconds with 19 queries.