Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cards I have created during boring Staff Meetings  (Read 2654 times)

ignorentmen

• Bishop
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
Cards I have created during boring Staff Meetings
« on: April 23, 2016, 03:05:00 pm »

Posting this for those of you who like to view fan cards and critique them. Right now I am not planning on printing these cards out, although I might try my hand at the sandbox virtual system someday.

Let me know what you think about any of these. Apologies if any of these ideas have already been put forward by others. I have stolen a couple of slight attributes from other fancards, but this is mostly just what I have thought of during boring Staff Meetings.

$5* Action - Scaffolding

Trash a card from your hand. Either gain a card worth $2 more than the trashed card or 2 differently named cards of the same value as the trashed card.

$5 Action - Attack - Looter - Henchmen

Gain a card up to $4. If it is:
a Treasure Card, each other player gains a copper.
an Action Card, each other player gains a Ruin.
a Victory Card, each other player gains a curse.

$4* Action - Miller

+1 Action
Reveal your hand. If you have more Action cards than Treasure cards in hand, +2 cards. If you have more Treasure cards than Actions + $1.
You may overpay for this card, if you do reveal an equal number of cards from your draw pile as you overpayed. Discard any number of cards, placing the rest back on top of the draw pile in an order you choose.

$6 Victory - Trout Stream

3 4 VP
_________
When this is gain, each player, including you, starting with the player to your left, may gain a card worth less than this of their choice.

$4 Action - Cobbler

Reveal your hand:

+1 Action for each differently named Treasure card.
+ $1 for each differently named Victory card.

$2 Action-Attack-Looter - Hangman
+1 Action
Trash this.
Reveal your hand, if your hand has an Action card, each other player gains a Ruin. If you do not, you gain a ruin and a spoil.
_________
When you gain this, gain a Ruin and a Spoil.

$4 Action-Attack - Bandit

+ $1

You and your opponent reveal their hands. If you have more treasure cards in hand than your opponent, your opponent gains a curse. If not, you gain a copper to your hand.

$4 Action-Attack - Sheriff

+ $1

Each other player with 4 or more cards reveals a card from their hand. You may gain a copy of that card or trash that card from the player's hand, your choice.

$4 Action - Neighboring Village

+ 2 Actions
+ 1 Card

You may gain a card worth up to $2.

$4 Action - Prospector Camp

+ 2 Actions
+1 Card

Trash a copper from your hand. If you do, gain a silver.

$5 Action - Maid

+ 3 Actions
+ 2 Cards

Discard all cards from your hand that are not Action Cards.

$3 Action-Victory - Pavilion

You may gain an Estate to your hand.
Discard Victory cards from your hand. + 1 Action per Victory card discarded.

1 VP

$4 Butler

+ 2 Actions
+ 1 Card

When you gain this, gain a Footman.

$0* Action - Footman

+ 1 Action

Reveal a Butler from your hand. If you do, trash a card from your hand or discard pile.
You may trash this card from play.

$5 Treasure - Gem

+ 1 buy
$2

If this is the first Treasure you have played, + $1.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:30:21 pm by ignorentmen »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Cards I have created during boring Staff Meetings
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 03:24:27 pm »
+1

(Feel free to give feedback on some of my cards => See signature. ;))

Scaffolding:
Seems a bit niche. The fact that it's 'exact' 2 more makes it cool. I am bit uncertain about the latter part. Would you ever (I don't know) trash a market for a 3 and 2 card or whatever?
How about: 'or 2 differently named cards equal to the value of the trashed card +2?'

Henchman: A marauder with more options. Sure, why not. I am bit underwhelmed, but it works.

Miller: I don't think I would overpay for the ovepray effect. If I can pay 5, why wouldn't I take a $5 card? If I can pay $6, why not take a gold? It's not like the card is worth that much more. It's a lab when you have lots of action cards. Otherwise, it's a non-terminal copper. I don't like this design - but I do think it's balanced - because the proper strategy when you have Miller is: 'get more, period'. Because the more you have, the better they are. In general, I tend to dislike those cards personally, but regarding design: I think it works and it's reasonably priced.

Trout Stream: Haha. I'd actually consider making it worth 4 VP, to be honest.

Cobbler: Haha, like it. Promotes diversity, something I like.

Hangman, man, that's a cheap looter. I am not sure about that. And it's a card that is only negative for our opponent (like sea hag). I tend to not like those kind of cards. Here is a small suggestion.
+1 Action
Trash this.
Reveal your hand, if your hand has an Action card, each other player gains a Ruin. If you do not, you gain a ruin and a spoil.
_________

Now it can only loot once, which seems more appropriate for $2.

Bandit: 'your opponent' => what if there are multiple opponents? Also: if it's an attack, it can be moated. What happens then? Does nobody gain anything or do you gain a copper?

Sheriff: Haha, that's a nice interaction. I like it. Although it does create the possibility for politics, which is bad. (It's worse politics than thief.)

Neigboring Village: Man, that's harsh. Maybe the gaining should be optional? (Maybe fun thing: make it than you can put the trashing token on an action supply pile. That way neighboring village interacts nicely with itself.)

Prospector camp: sure, why not.

Maid: haha, the ultimate engine enabler. I mean, this card is fucking amazing when it's good and it's useless in big money. I kind of think it's just too good.

Pavillion: sure, why not. Bit niche, but why not. Should probably still be +1 Action, though.

Butler/footman: Sure, why not?

Gem: cool. I like cards that promote not buying them a lot. This one looses power when you have multiple. I would turn it around, btw: +$$1 and when it's the fist you play: +$2.

ignorentmen

• Bishop
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 08:27:36 pm »

Thanks for the feedback. I'll certainly take a look at your cards at some point.

Scaffolding:
Seems a bit niche. The fact that it's 'exact' 2 more makes it cool. I am bit uncertain about the latter part. Would you ever (I don't know) trash a market for a 3 and 2 card or whatever?

Looks like I need to rewrite this. The text is meant to say that you can trash a card and then gain two differently named cards of the same value as the card as trashed (I don't know why I didn't just say it this way. But probably should still try to clean it up a bit). For example. Trash a Market and gain a Laboratory and a Library.

Trout Stream: Haha. I'd actually consider making it worth 4 VP, to be honest.

Original version was actually at 4 VP, but I changed it when I typed this up. Both could probably be worth a try? Mostly I didn't like that you could gain more in VP than a Province if you gained a Trout Stream and a Duchy. But I guess it would end up only being a net of +3 VP cause during most times that you would gain a Duchy opponents would as well. So maybe I like 4 VP afterall.

Hangman, man, that's a cheap looter. I am not sure about that. And it's a card that is only negative for our opponent (like sea hag). I tend to not like those kind of cards. Here is a small suggestion.
+1 Action
Trash this.
_________

I like this rendition quite a bit.

Bandit: 'your opponent' => what if there are multiple opponents? Also: if it's an attack, it can be moated. What happens then? Does nobody gain anything or do you gain a copper?

Should be opponents. So each opponent would be a different interaction, so potential to gain as many coppers as there are other opponents. Which would then strenghten your attack for the next player. Ugh. And you are right about the moat part. Probably need to scratch this card. But I like the idea of comparing hands and having something happen as a result.

Sheriff: Haha, that's a nice interaction. I like it. Although it does create the possibility for politics, which is bad. (It's worse politics than thief.)

Is it any worse than Jester? Yeah, it probably is. Would probably need a change to make it work, but I thought the base concept was neat.

Neighboring Village: Man, that's harsh. Maybe the gaining should be optional?

Another good idea.

Maid: haha, the ultimate engine enabler. I mean, this card is fucking amazing when it's good and it's useless in big money. I kind of think it's just too good.

I think you are right. I really like the "Discard all cards that are not X (especially Actions)" concept and this was my attempt to make it work. I think it is likely there is something that would work, but this probably isn't it.

Gem: cool. I like cards that promote not buying them a lot. This one looses power when you have multiple. I would turn it around, btw: +$$1 and when it's the fist you play: +$2.

I thought about your suggestion but thought maybe it should cost $4 in that case? But felt that a Gold, even if just bought once, would be too good for $4.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 05:26:41 am »

Neighbouring Village is cool.
Prospector Village seems like an auto-opening buy in a lot of Kingdoms without or with weak trashers.
Maid seems strong. You want it only in engines anyway. On the other hand without lot of virtual coin cards you need some Silver and Gold in your engine so this hurts.
I like Gem the most. Could be on the stronger side of 5 though.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 07:21:43 am »

4 Action-Attack - Bandit

+ $1

You and your opponent reveal their hands. If you have more treasure cards in hand than your opponent, your opponent gains a curse. If not, you gain a copper to your hand.

I mean, suppose you Moat this. Well: you have more treasures than <nobody> and thus you automatically gain a copper to your hand. That's how I would read it.
And if you have multiples, you just do it in turn order. The problem, with that, however is that maybe the first player to your left has less, but because you gain an additional copper, you 'beat' the next opponent, and s/he gets a curse.

A solution to that could be: you don't gain the copper untill you have matched with everyone.

Two easy fixes, that don't follow logically from what's said on the card, but could be included in the faq.

junkers

• Thief
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 03:55:04 am »

So each opponent would be a different interaction, so potential to gain as many coppers as there are other opponents. Which would then strenghten your attack for the next player. Ugh. And you are right about the moat part. Probably need to scratch this card. But I like the idea of comparing hands and having something happen as a result.

I like that a lot, too. Just thinking of it from a thematic standpoint, though, why not have the comparison based on number of Action cards instead? A bandit waving around more cash than someone he's trying to rob seems a bit daft... Terrorising them with a handful of rats obviously makes a lot more sense.

Chariot Race has been one of my favourite reveals from Empires so far, precisely because of this comparison mechanic - so don't shelve this so soon!

Trout Stream sounds neat, but I'm the last person to ask if it's well balanced or not. In any case, we need more fish-based cards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.