Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 282  All

Author Topic: Really bad card ideas  (Read 1870041 times)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
Re: Really bad card ideas
« Reply #1300 on: June 20, 2013, 02:46:41 pm »
+3

Log
Action-Treasure-Victory
If this is base e, +1 card, +1 action
If this is base 10, $1
If this is base 2, 1 VP
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: June 20, 2013, 03:17:14 pm »

Let's kill everything :

And yet all those logarithm functionsare only multiplications by a real number of the basic (base e) logarithm function.

For all x > 0, for all a >0, a != 1 : loga(x) = ln(x)/ln(a), ln being the basic function.

-Mathematical venture-
Treasure, cost $0*
Worth 0*
When you play this, you may either stop here or reveal cards from your deck until you find a treasure. Discard the other revealed cards. Play that treasure. If all the treasures you played due to one Mathematical venture are worth more than $7, they are all worth $0. Otherwise, you may either stop here or repeat.
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: June 21, 2013, 09:06:12 am »

Chemists use common log all the time, for pH, pKa, and spectroscopy.  We also use natural log sometimes.  Common log are also used in acoustics and acoustic engineering (decibels).  Other fields:

Geology: base sqrt(1000) for the Richter scale and mass moment scale
Astronomy: base 100^(1/5) for magnitude, because 2.511 is totally memorable or something, don't ask me
Music: base 2^(1/12) for a twelve-tone scale

With the exception of perhaps that music application, the others are just arbitrarily use base 10 by convention.  You could just as well you natural logarithms for something like pH or acoustics or the Richter scale.

Sure, we could, but we don't.  Just as mathematicians apparently don't use common logs ever.  Then again, the level of mathematician we're talking about here don't use actual numbers.

I know mathematicians like their purity; I understand the desire to put everything in base e.  But there are plenty of reasons for chemists to use common log for pH.  Mainly because Kw is close to 10^-14, and therefore [H+] is close to 10^-7 M.  pH is just a shortcut, but it's a meaningful one, not just arbitrary.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: June 21, 2013, 09:31:54 am »

If you consider real/complex numbers to be actual numbers (and I'm not sure that I do), then logarithms usually show up in areas of mathematics that deal with actual numbers.  Sure, the discrete log problem is a famous counterexample in cryptography, but that's, well, an edge case.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: June 21, 2013, 10:23:53 am »

Far too much of mathematics involves annoying competing notational standards. Most of the time, it's just there's four ways of writing the same thing, some favoured by mathematicians, some by physicists, some by computer scientists and so on. But sometimes, you get discrepancies with things like log/lb/lg/ln, or other things (such as using the same letter to refer to two different things, and other more major ones that don't come to mind right now).

There's also the public understanding of the BIDMAS rule (You might use PIDMAS in the US, I guess, since you call parentheses what we call brackets), which people regularly get wrong (although the ambiguity could be removed easily using brackets). For example, what does 5-3+2 equal?

If you said 0 then you've fallen into the regular trap. The answer is actually 4. This is because the rule really means (B)(I)(DM)(AS), evaluating things in each bracket in the order they come, not explicitly addition before subtraction.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: June 21, 2013, 12:43:08 pm »
+3

Graduate School
Action $3P
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Gain a card costing up to $6
A man on a mission.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #1306 on: June 21, 2013, 01:31:59 pm »
+2

Far too much of mathematics involves annoying competing notational standards. Most of the time, it's just there's four ways of writing the same thing, some favoured by mathematicians, some by physicists, some by computer scientists and so on. But sometimes, you get discrepancies with things like log/lb/lg/ln, or other things (such as using the same letter to refer to two different things, and other more major ones that don't come to mind right now).
And what is your solution to this problem?
Relevant: http://xkcd.com/927/

There's also the public understanding of the BIDMAS rule (You might use PIDMAS in the US, I guess, since you call parentheses what we call brackets), which people regularly get wrong (although the ambiguity could be removed easily using brackets). For example, what does 5-3+2 equal?

If you said 0 then you've fallen into the regular trap. The answer is actually 4. This is because the rule really means (B)(I)(DM)(AS), evaluating things in each bracket in the order they come, not explicitly addition before subtraction.
It boggles my mind that people miss this. Again, how do you propose fixing this? Forcing brackets everywhere is clunky - and of course you can just include them everywhere anyway, nobody is stopping you. And forcing addition to be before subtraction suddenly means there is a potential difference in subtracting five and adding negative five, and this seems just *more* confusing to me.

It's not that the standards aren't arbitrary. They are (why do we use a right-hand coordinate system?). But there has to be *some* arbitrary standard.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: June 21, 2013, 02:50:59 pm »
+1

For the record, here in Canada we use BEDMAS as our mnemonic.  The E stands for Exponents.  B is for Brackets, even though we all know that they are properly called Parentheses. ;)  It's just a mnemonic; we're taught that addition and subtraction are on the same level and we go left-to-right in that case.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: June 21, 2013, 03:26:22 pm »

For the record, here in Canada we use BEDMAS as our mnemonic.  The E stands for Exponents.  B is for Brackets, even though we all know that they are properly called Parentheses. ;)  It's just a mnemonic; we're taught that addition and subtraction are on the same level and we go left-to-right in that case.

I'm also Canadian, and I did K-9 in a French Immersion school, where we used PEDMAS. I was mildly surprised, when Parentheses became Brackets in High School.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: June 21, 2013, 04:04:25 pm »

I'm also Canadian, and I did K-9 in a French Immersion school, where we used PEDMAS. I was mildly surprised, when Parentheses became Brackets in High School.

As I know them:

(parentheses)
[square brackets]
<angle brackets>
{braces}

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: June 21, 2013, 04:11:35 pm »
+1

As I know them:

(parentheses)
[square brackets]
<angle brackets>
{braces}
Function parameter containers
Array location
Templates
Code containers
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: June 21, 2013, 04:45:11 pm »

I never learned a mnemonic, I just learned that you do things in brackets/parenthesis first, then exponents, then multiplication/division, then addition/subtraction.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: June 21, 2013, 04:50:03 pm »
+5

PEMDAS
$2
When you Play this card, gain an Estate.
If you have any Monuments in play when you play this, Discard this card.
+2 Actions
+$1
--
When you trash this card, gain a Silver.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: June 21, 2013, 07:40:58 pm »

I learned it as PEMDAS as well.
Did the people getting it wrong not go to school?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: June 21, 2013, 07:57:12 pm »

BEMDAS or BEDMAS. B or brackets.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: June 21, 2013, 09:31:51 pm »

There are multiple different mnemonics for it, which vary from country to country and region to region.  Way back when I learned it, it was Please Pardon My Dear Aunt Sally, with the second P obviously being for powers.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: June 21, 2013, 09:38:34 pm »
+1

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: June 21, 2013, 10:01:56 pm »

See but the traditional resistor color one that I learned (and from different totally unrelated people) would actually work here: Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives Willingly

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: June 21, 2013, 10:03:17 pm »

This may be why Randall qualifies "None" with "that I care for".

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 21, 2013, 10:16:24 pm »

His SI prefixes are missing some!  hecto, deca, deci, centi

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: June 21, 2013, 10:36:29 pm »
+1

Why does anyone need a mnemonic for resistor color codes anyway?  They're in order by color already!

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: June 22, 2013, 10:34:50 am »

And what is your solution to this problem?

Mostly, there isn't a problem. Context is usually the solution. If you're going out of context, don't use log(x) without a base.

It boggles my mind that people miss this. Again, how do you propose fixing this? Forcing brackets everywhere is clunky - and of course you can just include them everywhere anyway, nobody is stopping you. And forcing addition to be before subtraction suddenly means there is a potential difference in subtracting five and adding negative five, and this seems just *more* confusing to me.

It's not that the standards aren't arbitrary. They are (why do we use a right-hand coordinate system?). But there has to be *some* arbitrary standard.

I never really liked the mnemonic. I think it confuses just as much as it helps. Fortunately, for most people, BIDMAS in strictly that order is acceptable for pretty much everything, and anything that would be potentially confusing in terms of addition and subtraction will generally be bracketed. The main place it isn't okay is for trick questions on facebook and the like. Anyone who needs to know the difference will probably understand the order of operations well enough anyway, so I don't think there's an issue.

Why does anyone need a mnemonic for resistor color codes anyway?  They're in order by color already!

Agreed. Black, Brown, Rainbow. That should be the mnemonic.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: June 22, 2013, 10:55:40 am »

Colors aren't in order. Yes, you can go with wavelength, but then you need to know which end you're starting on, people need to actually know the wavelength order, and you still have brown, black, gray, and white which aren't covered by that. And that's 40% of the colors.

Of course, I can just remember it, but I don't expect other people to. The thing is, I can make the same case about any of those other mnemonics - all the others I just remember, except the geologic periods, which I don't think a mnemonic is going to help me on.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: June 23, 2013, 07:22:35 pm »
+2

Super Market
$7 Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
+2 Buys
+$2

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 23, 2013, 07:24:39 pm »
+2

Super Market
$7 Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
+2 Buys
+$2

I'm loving mining village and death cart.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 282  All

Page created in 2.126 seconds with 21 queries.