Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 282  All

Author Topic: Really bad card ideas  (Read 1870008 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
Re: Really bad card ideas
« Reply #1275 on: June 19, 2013, 07:52:40 pm »
+2

How would that mechanic work?

It wouldn't.

Um er well I didn't expect to get called to task on this one and I haven't read the Guilds rulebook yet so don't expect anything very scientific or consistent with Dominion's rules but...what I had in mind was that you did not have to have $4 and you could underpay by any amount.

I think with an additional buy it might get bought a lot at -$8.

I dare say it's wrong to call people out for unworkable mechanics in this particular thread.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: June 19, 2013, 07:57:23 pm »

Actually, an Inverse Masterpiece would be interesting too.  "When you buy this, you may underpay for it.  For each $1 you underpaid, gain a copper."

It would be pretty good in Gardens games...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: June 19, 2013, 09:39:50 pm »

Actually, an Inverse Masterpiece would be interesting too.  "When you buy this, you may underpay for it.  For each $1 you underpaid, gain a copper."

It would be pretty good in Gardens games...

Looks like Cache in a way. Mostly the only reason to go for this is Alt VP.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: June 19, 2013, 10:22:07 pm »
+5

Exp(and), Action, $1096.663
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to eits cost in coins in coins.

+1 just for the cost. Although Google did annoy me when I typed in log(1096.663) just to check, and it decided to interpret log as log10, not loge. As a mathematician, this disappoints me.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: June 19, 2013, 10:23:02 pm »
+1

Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to eits cost in coins in coins.

+1 just for the cost. Although Google did annoy me when I typed in log(1096.663) just to check, and it decided to interpret log as log10, not loge. As a mathematician, this disappoints me.

Most people use ln() for that, yeah?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: June 19, 2013, 10:23:51 pm »
+1

Isn't log supposed to always mean base 10 and ln to mean base e?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: June 19, 2013, 10:39:43 pm »
+2

Isn't log supposed to always mean base 10 and ln to mean base e?

No.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #1282 on: June 20, 2013, 05:56:08 am »

One of my professors told us that we were grown-ups now, so we just write log instead of ln, and it's always base e; and we stop writing the modulus sign in the integral of 1/x.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: June 20, 2013, 06:23:57 am »

I always use ln, but I get annoyed every time I see "log" to mean log base 10. I can't remember when I've ever used a base 10 log.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: June 20, 2013, 07:32:56 am »

Base 10 log are used in chemistry with pH, I think.
But it's true I mostly write log or log10 for the logarithm base 10 and ln for the "classical" logarithm.

And by the way, in French, we would say this card would be free to buy because "logarithme ne paie rien" (logarithm pays nothing)
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1185
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: June 20, 2013, 09:04:43 am »

The only time I used base ten logs was in discrete math when we had to find the number of digits in 2^100 and 100!.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: June 20, 2013, 09:15:20 am »
+1

Chemists use common log all the time, for pH, pKa, and spectroscopy.  We also use natural log sometimes.  Common log are also used in acoustics and acoustic engineering (decibels).  Other fields:

Geology: base sqrt(1000) for the Richter scale and mass moment scale
Astronomy: base 100^(1/5) for magnitude, because 2.511 is totally memorable or something, don't ask me
Music: base 2^(1/12) for a twelve-tone scale
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: June 20, 2013, 11:38:00 am »
+1

Chemists use common log all the time, for pH, pKa, and spectroscopy.  We also use natural log sometimes.  Common log are also used in acoustics and acoustic engineering (decibels).  Other fields:

Geology: base sqrt(1000) for the Richter scale and mass moment scale
Astronomy: base 100^(1/5) for magnitude, because 2.511 is totally memorable or something, don't ask me
Music: base 2^(1/12) for a twelve-tone scale

With the exception of perhaps that music application, the others are just arbitrarily use base 10 by convention.  You could just as well you natural logarithms for something like pH or acoustics or the Richter scale.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #1288 on: June 20, 2013, 11:41:27 am »
+1

One of my professors told us that we were grown-ups now, so we just write log instead of ln, and it's always base e; and we stop writing the modulus sign in the integral of 1/x.

This doesn't really make any sense to me.  It's easier to write ln than log, and ln is unambiguous whereas log is ambiguous.  I know it is pretty common for "log" to mean base e, but I've also been told before that "log" / "lg" always means log base 10 and "ln" means log base e. 

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #1289 on: June 20, 2013, 11:48:41 am »
+1

I've also been told

Lots of people say lots of things.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: June 20, 2013, 11:50:33 am »
+1

This doesn't really make any sense to me.  It's easier to write ln than log, and ln is unambiguous whereas log is ambiguous.  I know it is pretty common for "log" to mean base e, but I've also been told before that "log" / "lg" always means log base 10 and "ln" means log base e.

10 just isn't a special number.  There's no reason for a mathematician to reserve a special piece of notation for logarithms base 10.  It's the same reason we don't use degrees.  We also tend to get upset when people call f(x) a function:  the function is f, the notation f(x) denotes f evaluated at x.  Oh, and you don't need dx in an integral, so long as you've specified the function that you are integrating.  The dx slot is often used by mathematicians to specify which measure is being used.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #1291 on: June 20, 2013, 11:57:37 am »

10 is a special number in the real world, or else why does everyone use the metric system? 

I'm just saying it's not unreasonable to interpret "log" as base 10 log, since it means natural log only to mathematicians, and to everyone else natural logs are written as "ln".

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: June 20, 2013, 01:21:15 pm »
+7

Tangent
Action-Duration.
While this is in play, talk about something completely off the subject of the thread. This stays in play until the matter is resolved.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: June 20, 2013, 01:24:47 pm »

Tangent
Action-Duration.
While this is in play, talk about something completely off the subject of the thread. This stays in play until the matter is resolved.

Ironically, this post is less a tangent than a smooth segue back to the original topic.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: June 20, 2013, 01:28:52 pm »
+1

Argument
Action-Duration
When you play this, your opponent must admit their mistake and that in fact, you are correct.
(This is not in the Supply)

Counter Argument
Action-Reaction
Gain an Argument
--------
You can reveal this when your opponent plays an Argument. If you do, immediately discard an opponent's argument.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: June 20, 2013, 01:30:27 pm »
+1

Tangent
Action - Reaction: $2

+1 action
+1 buy
+coins equal to the number of points the player opposite to you divided by the number of points the player to your left or right (your choice) has, rounded to the nearest integer.
--------------------------------------
When someone starts to talk about logarithms, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, start talking about trigonometry instead.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: June 20, 2013, 01:32:47 pm »
+3

Argument
Action-Duration
When you play this, your opponent must admit their mistake and that in fact, you are correct.
(This is not in the Supply)

Counter Argument
Action-Reaction
Gain an Argument
--------
You can reveal this when your opponent plays an Argument. If you do, immediately discard an opponent's argument.

Internet
$0 - Reaction
When your opponent plays an Argument or reveals a Counter Argument, you may reveal this. If you do, nuh-uh, their card had no effect.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #1297 on: June 20, 2013, 01:33:45 pm »

10 is a special number in the real world, or else why does everyone use the metric system?

Because although polydactylism is dominant, it's rather uncommon.

I'm just saying it's not unreasonable to interpret "log" as base 10 log, since it means natural log only to mathematicians, and to everyone else natural logs are written as "ln".
Huh, I'll have to tell the dozens of non-mathematicians I know who use 'log' for log base e that they're doing it wrong.
It seems kind of weird that the people who are experts in the field are the ones who supposedly have this part of their field wrong.

Seriously, though, it's just a convention thing, like driving on the right (or left), which variable name i assigned to the radial or azimuthal angle in spherical coordinates (or actually, to anything ever), etc. It's not really that one way or the other is 'right' or 'wrong', but different people have different, rather ingrained at this point, conventions.

Incidentally, the reason I like 'log' to be base e is that the only times I've ever seen where the base on a logarithm hasn't been arbitrary, it needed to be e (or sometimes base 2). But this is not important compared to being able to understand what is what.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: June 20, 2013, 01:36:33 pm »

For some reason I recall seeing ln used for base 2. Am I crazy or is that actually a convention in some circles?

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: June 20, 2013, 02:37:22 pm »

For some reason I recall seeing ln used for base 2. Am I crazy or is that actually a convention in some circles?
I haven't seen that, but Knuth uses lg for binary logarithm, which I think is confusing. (The correct way to write binary logarithms is of course lb.)
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 282  All

Page created in 1.995 seconds with 21 queries.